“Great Hotel for Business Travelers!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4265 Sawyer Rd., Columbus, OH 43219   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #36 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Pittsburg
“Great Hotel for Business Travelers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

The Airport Hilton Garden Inn Columbus, Ohio location is a fantastic property for business travelers. I found that the hotel has very clean rooms w/ top of line service. The Restaurant had an excellent Black Angus cheeseburger (cooked just the way I like it...well done!) and plenty of ice cold Stella Artois, reasonably priced too! Only downside was the Airport has nothing else to do nearby. I found out that the hotel offers a free shuttle to Easton Towncenter...after I checked out though. Next time I am back to Cols I will check it out.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Let's start with the good aspects:
1. The hotel is convenient to the Columbus airport and there is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.
2. There is a fireplace in the lobby with a cozy couch.
3. They added a "restaurant" last year (as there's nowhere to eat within 4 miles except a McDonalds across the street).
4. The staff tries to be helpful.

Now the bad:
1. The rooms and halls all smell like they've been sprayed to mask cigarette smoke.

2. The business center is abysmal. Of the 3 computers in the center, 1had a mouse that didn't work, and the internet speed was so slow on the others that it took literally 3 minutes to load every page. After spending 1/2 an hour trying to simply print a boarding pass, my colleague and I went to the front desk. She offered to print it from the front desk on a computer that appeared to have a different connection, but then couldn't figure out how to do it. Now 45 minutes had passed, and I told her to forget it. She called my room 10 minutes later to tell me that the airline site was telling her that my airline was saying I must be traveling on NWA. I thanked her and printed the boarding pass via a slow wireless connection (taking me a total of 5 minutes to do it without the hotel technologies as opposed to wasting an hour with the hotel's poor technologies).

3. The hotel "restaurant" is not really a restaurant. It's more like a reheating of Sysco food service manufactured food. The grilled cheese sandwich on Texas toast was the worst I've had. They salted the bread and put velveeta as the cheese. The steak fries were passable. My friend had a salad that was served in a bowl you'd put yogurt in. It was not adequate to eat a small salad from.

4. The wireless internet connection (at least in room 351) is faster using the Baymont hotel next door than it is in the Hilton Garden Inn - it's weak on both.

5. Here's an odd one: The free fresh fruit in the lobby is wrapped in plastic - except the bananas. The staff explained that it was due to Ohio regulations. The Sysco cookies on the tray right next to the fruit were unwrapped - and a bowl filled with fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) in the "restaurant's" rear corner weren't wrapped. The waitress explained that that bowl was for decoration only - although it was real fruit. (I stopped trying at that point).

6. The TVs in the room have that slow Dish system where there's a 3 second delay between switching channels. Very annoying when channel surfing. The hotel gets about 20 channels, including comedy central and HBO - so it's not terrible - but it is annoying.

7. Finally, it's a airport hotel so you hear airplanes taking off and landing. It is not quiet.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

This is probably the best of the chain hotels near the airport: clean and comfortable rooms, friendly staff, pool and fitness center, free internet and free parking. If you are looking for a close, comfortable no frills new hotel near the airport, this should definitely be a top choice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Not sure if its the people of Columbus or the customer service of the hotel, but it seems they go above and beyond trying to accomodate me. They have been very polite and generous and accomodating. The shower was much cleaner than some of the other hotels i have stayed at. It has a fridge and a microwave. The breakfast was great.
I am a Vegan and I asked for sauteed vegetables for breakfast and I got it. Lots of fresh fruits and berries. Really great prices. No real noise from the airport despite my expectations. It is not really near any restaurants. You will need a car to go somewhere for fun but it works for me because I need to get some work done anyways.

I have only been travelling for two years now (approximately twice per month) and I go all over the U.S. and some international travel. I have been trying a lot of different hotel chanes to get a feel for what I may like best. For the past 8 months, no single hotel has actually stood out for me. I was on a Residence Inn or Mariott run for a while. On this trip it turned out that this was the only hotel with available rooms. I have to say that this stay has changed my mind and I am going to try Hilton for a while. Customer service definitely stood out and staff went above and beyond expectations.

Donna who checked me in was very friendly and addressed my small concern about the room with utmost grace. The dark haired lady at breakfast was very kind an accomodating. So was another front desk gentleman whose name i can not recall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Henderson, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

This hotel is a REAL disappointment. If all you need is a place to sleep, it will do the job.

I didn't hear any noise from the airport (surprising, since the runway is not more than 500 yards away). But I sure could hear the guests upstairs clear as a bell through the vent in the bathroom and when they would stomp around their room.

The free internet is a joke. Yes, they have wireless and it's free. But the speed of the connection is slightly better than dialup. It's NOT high-speed. This was with doing a speed test both with the wireless and the ethernet jack in the room.

Considering this would normally be considered a business class hotel, I would be hard pressed to recommend it to a business traveler.

I normally prefer to stay in Garden Inns when I travel. If I'm in Columbus again, I will know NOT to stay at this one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
oakland county michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

staff was very friendly and helpful - the heat/fan was very loud and while the proximity to the airport was great - you could hear the planes.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wichita, KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

I just got back from staying one night for business. The hotel was clean. The room was very quiet. Even though the hotel is located at the airport, I never once heard an airplane. The front desk help was very nice and helpful. The room itself was just very plain and ordinary. The bathroom was the same. The bed in my room was very hard, making it a little uncomfortable to sleep. I think one of the biggest disappointments was the breakfast. They offer a "buffet" breakfast for $8.95. However, everything is made to order. I was surprised at how fast they did bring out my food though. I ordered an omelet and pancakes. Neither was very good. It wasn't horrible, but like everything else here, just OK. I must admit, I was disappointed. I would not recommend this hotel for the money spent.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast, Bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Columbus Airport? Share your experiences!