“Scary...happy to get out alive!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 E Hudson Street, Columbus, OH 43211   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #47 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“Scary...happy to get out alive!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Wonder why they have to have hotels in neighborhood infested with druggies, drunks, prostitutes and crime. During my stay there, there were two crimes in 2 days. One stabiing across the road and another robbery next door. Plus a car was broken into in the parking lot. I had to drag my friends along each time I stepped out of my room. The staff were good but that does not help to keep the area safe. Plus when it rained water was flowing thru the front doors and the whole place was mudf-filled and dirty.
If you want a safe place to be at I would not reccomend this hotel at all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
mattmoss79, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
I am sorry to hear you had such a negative stay. We do take these matters very seriously and review them for future needs of our guests. As with crime it can strike any where, be it a mall parking lot or an affluent neighborhood. Hotels are generally high targets for property crimes during down economic times as was recently reported in the USA Today. We have reviewed this and now employ night security to better look after you and your valuables to help with this and mitigate the possible troubles you had experienced. We are deeply saddened to hear that you found yourself unsafe that is not our goal. Our primary goal is to provide you with a clean, friendly and overall great stay while with us. We hope that you might reconsider a stay with us in the future. Having added the extra security has had a positive effect on moving the neighboring troubles away from our location. We still do plan on installing a perimeter fence to add to the additional sense of safety and security for our guests. In regards to the front doors with the mud it sounds like you may have stayed while we were replacing the lobby tiles. I am sorry for the inconvenience that caused you.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Regards
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
johnnyt918
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed here. Not much to say. Toilet didn't flush well. Sink didn't drain for a few minutes. Hallways smelled kind of funky. Even for Holiday Inn, it was one of the lower end ones....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Apologies on behalf of the staff and management that you did not have a great stay. We do not think that an aok stay is acceptable we do strive very hard to provide everyone with an exceptional stay. I apologize that you had troubles maitenance wise. I hope that you had reported it, so we could have resolved it. We have recently started to remodel our hotel which will see all the carpets in all halls and common areas replaced as well as the carpets in the fourth floor rooms. All the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors were changed out in 2009. The odor you may have encountered may have resonated from a room on the fourth floor as it was half smoking and half non smoking. The hotel has since gone 100% smoke free and is in the process of changing out all the affected items to better improve the experience for our guest. We are also looking at possibly doing an executive floor as well. Many great things are coming.
Please consider us in the future when you travel to OSU or Downtown Columbus.
Regards,
Guest Relations Manager
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed here for concert when I was in Columbus. It's right off I-71 N/S and easy to get back on the interstate if you're going anywhere really, airport, etc.

Maybe 5 blocks or so to High Street. High Street is the main drag in Columbus. North and South. South to OSU campus. Tons of places, to shop eat, and hang out.

True, the neighborhood isn't the greatest but the hotel was really nice, super clean, helpful staff. I'm not sure why some people had trouble finding a place to eat, there's a Wendy's right next door.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, January 13, 2010
Hello Marfrance1926,

We were very pleased to read your review. There is an extremely high level of pride that we take in what we do at Our Holiday Inn Express, and it is very rewarding for us to see our efforts impacting our guests like they impacted you during your stay. We will continue striving to become even better, and will use your review as a motivational tool towards our hospitality successes of tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Columbus.

Safe Travels.

Guest Service Manager
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

The hotel itself was very nice. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was usual HIE fare. The neighborhood was iffy. Razor wire and bars on stores across the street. Some reviews said it is college housing nearby. That may be true, but this being summer, I felt the area was not the best. I would not stay there again, but that's the only reason.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
We always value and appreciate the opinions of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to respond to us about your stay. It is true that there is a business across the street from us that does indeed have razor wires and bars around there facility as they are a Highway Safety Products company which houses construction and traffic signs which indeed can be targets for College Mischief. It very well may have been summer but that does not mean that the kids all go home some stay for the summer quarters as well. A company does what it can to protect its interests. We are happy that you had a great stay with us otherwise and would hope to see you in the future. We do now employ a fulltime night security gaurd to help those guests who may have a concern in regards to the surrounding area and to alleviate any concerns that you might have.
Many regards,
Guest Services
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed a single night while on business in the area. Clerk offered to recommend restaurants for dinner in the area; she was knowledgeable enough to send me to an outstanding ethnic eatery place and even printed directions for me. Room was fresh and clean, not noisy, appliances functioned just fine, had a restful night's sleep. Manager and all staff I met were friendly, solicitous and professional.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have always felt safe and welcome. Surrounding areas are part of student housing and may look unsafe, however, campus assures safety of students. I have stayed at several hotels in the Columbus area and will highly recommend this location. The front desk and staff are always friendly and very willing to go the extra step to accomodate any needs that their customers may have. Rooms are always VERY clean. Ammenities are basic.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Hanga Roa, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

The hotel is not located in the best part of town, and seems to be a bit less than what I'd expect from the Holidy Inn brand. Parking is poor and doesn't look very secure (at least a fence along the street would be nice). There is an indoor pool but the excercise equipment in the gym isn't kept up very well. The hotel is clean as expected however I would expect more given the name and the price.

• Liked — Clean and quiet.
  • Disliked — No movie channels. Poor location.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, April 3, 2009
I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations, we strive to make every stay with us an enjoyable one. Our hotel is located in an urban campus housing environment. We do have plans to install a fence along the street but that will not be completed till later in the year if all goes as planned. We at the Holiday Inn Express OSU and Expo center pride ourselves on offering the best possible guest service experience. The parking lot is monitored 24 hours a day by cctv and staff as well. I thank you for taking the time to filling out this info, and hope that you are willing to give us another chance. Thanks again.
K. M. Cieslak

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center

Address: 701 E Hudson Street, Columbus, OH 43211
Location: United States > Ohio > Columbus
#19 Romantic Hotel in Columbus
#48 Business Hotel in Columbus
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center 2.5*
The Holiday Inn Express Ohio State University and Expo Center hotel features complimentary high-speed wireless Internet, breakfast bar, indoor pool, fitness room and a meeting room. We also feature a variety of suite rooms including Jacuzzi and executive suites. The Holiday Inn Express Ohio State University and Expo Center hotel is located 1/2 mile from the Ohio Expo Center and Fairgrounds, Crew Stadium, and Ohio Historical Society as well as 1.3 miles from The Ohio State University. Our hotel is less than 5 minutes from downtown Columbus, the Columbus Convention Center and the Port Columbus International Airport (CMH) is a short 10 minute drive. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Ohio State Fair/Expo Hotel Columbus
Holiday Inn Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Columbus
Columbus Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center Columbus, Ohio

If you own or manage Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.