“Falls a little short.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Heiskell, Tennessee
“Falls a little short.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

The hotel is not located in the best part of town, and seems to be a bit less than what I'd expect from the Holidy Inn brand. Parking is poor and doesn't look very secure (at least a fence along the street would be nice). There is an indoor pool but the excercise equipment in the gym isn't kept up very well. The hotel is clean as expected however I would expect more given the name and the price.

• Liked — Clean and quiet.
  • Disliked — No movie channels. Poor location.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ohio State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, April 3, 2009
I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations, we strive to make every stay with us an enjoyable one. Our hotel is located in an urban campus housing environment. We do have plans to install a fence along the street but that will not be completed till later in the year if all goes as planned. We at the Holiday Inn Express OSU and Expo center pride ourselves on offering the best possible guest service experience. The parking lot is monitored 24 hours a day by cctv and staff as well. I thank you for taking the time to filling out this info, and hope that you are willing to give us another chance. Thanks again.
K. M. Cieslak

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Michigan US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

We were booked here through Hotwire and found the location perfectly suited to our needs. I was a bit surprised at the 3 star rating. I stayed at the HI-X at Sunnyside-Queens a couple of years ago and think that was 2.5. [Shrug.] At any rate, the staff were unfailingly polite and friendly, and the premises were clean and comfortable. Unlike typical rooms these days, our room's two beds were queens, not doubles. This is something I greatly value and appreciate. Four adults can camp out reasonably comfortably. Another addition to creature comfort is the bedding, with good mattresses, options of soft or firm pillows, and nice downy coverlets. As well, as I recalled from Sunnyside, the towels were well above the usual, nice and thick. One final distinctive amenity, also apparently a HI-X signature, the toiletries were unscented. Those with sensitivities can use them rather than having to bring their own. The breakfast bar had some hot items as well as the usual continental items though they don't constitute a hot breakfast. Warm cinnamon buns were a yummy touch. More fresh fruit would be welcome. The breakfast area was roomy, comfortable, and inviting, as well as managed to a high standard by the main floor's attentive housekeeper. About the only thing visitors may wish to know is that the hotel is on a narrow road in an older, modest, lower income residential neighborhood, but the homes are well-maintained, single-family, likely owner-occupied and not barred up. I doubt there is much by way of shopping close by though. We stayed at a Hotwire rate of $74/night before tax, a splendid deal.

• Liked — two queen size beds in standard room
  • Disliked — lack of nearby shoping
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

we stay at hotels at least 12 times a year for work... i'm a 31 yr old female, traveling with my 65 yr old mother...

after driving around the hotel's tiny parking lot looking for a space large enough to hold our 12ft box truck (parking lots is ridiculously small- no room for oversized vehicles), we finally decided to back into 2 parking spaces in the front of the hotel. there we were greeted by a filthy homeless man walking down the street and repeatedly asking us for spare change. he wouldn't take no for an answer and followed us around the truck and parking lot for longer than we felt comfortable with. (and he was drooling!)

this hotel is on the edge of a ghetto. we drove around the surrounding neighborhood looking for somewhere to grab dinner before checking in, we ended up eating out of the vending machine.... the surrounding area was THAT bad. you couldn't pay me to stop and eat anywhere near the hotel.

the rooms appeared to be very clean, but don't judge a book by it's cover... we left with bites all over our bodies, could be bed bugs, could be scabies- hopefully we'll find out after our dr appointment tomorrow.

stay here at your own risk... you've been warned.

• Liked — there is nothing good about this hotel
  • Disliked — where should i begin??
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My wife and I were taking a road trip from Kansas city to Cleveland and we stayed one night at this hotel. I chose this particular hotel because my family usually stays in Holiday Inn's whenever we need to stay in a hotel, and it was right off of I-71. Check-in went very smoothly, the front desk staff were all very very nice. The general condition of the room was very good and the hotel itself was very nice (we had a non-smoking room). We went out to downtown Columbus for dinner which was convenient because it was only 5 minutes away. I did see peoples comments about the area, however we had no problems at all. The hotel is right off of the freeway so it wasn't like we had to drive through any local streets to get to it. The hotel had a good amount of people checked in that night due to the state fair close by, and there were mostly families and professional people staying. Checkout went smoothly, and the breakfast was on par with most Holiday Inn Express's I have stayed at. In the end I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice stay.

• Liked — The nice staff and the condition of the property
  • Disliked — The are still going to be getting flat panel TV's, but they didnt have them yet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ohio State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2008
We thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey. A lot of the negative feed back we had received was under previous management. That has since changed by the time you had come to stay with us. We do value your opinion and hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely Guest Service Manager
Karl
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I've stayed at over 50 holiday inn expresses over the years. Some have been okay some have been exceptional. First off this was horrible. I wanted to cry upon arival. This place is NOT in a good area. If you are a single female traveling by yourself, by no means stay here, especially if you are by yourself and arriving at night. The building around it have gang writings all over them. The inside is okay. We got in at around 830 and the guy that was working the front desk was absolutely the rudest person ever. I didn't get his name but it wasn't fun. He was disrespectful at best. The breakfast was okay standard Holiday Inn express breakfast and the breakfast lady was nice ass well. The housekeeper who cleaned are room was very friendly as well she had just started and said the owners were new. Maybe there is hope that they changed things around and are making it better. The rooms looked old but were fairly clean. I still have never been treated that bad before in a service industry though. Not to mention the creepiness of the area. I just really would strongly advise going somewhere not on the east side, or closer to the airport if you are going to be staying in Columbus. Not this area! And they need a new night auditor who isn't so rude, I really hope he reads this because I was so offended at the way me and my daughters were treated by him!

• Liked — The breakfast lady was nice and so was my housekeepr
  • Disliked — The night auditor was so rude and the location was scary!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2006

I have stayed in many holiday inn expresses and this is the worst so far. Bathroom was dirty, items from the last occupant were left in my room, and cigarette smoke smell was present in the hallways. Do not stay here and don't think that all holiday inn expresses are like this.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

First of all, the area is questionable. It was recommended that I not go out running by myself at any time. The hotel is ok. I requested a non smoking room, but got one that reeks of smoke. I don't know if it's just been switched to a non smoking room, but was told there were few non smoking rooms available so they didn't have any more available. I've gone thru a half of a bottle of febreeze just to make it bearable. I ended up using the towels as sheets and pillows as the actual bedding was so disguisting. The fitness center had 2 treadmills and a bike, however only one treadmill worked. The pool was fine, but overcome with little kids. Breakfast was quite good--there were hot cinnamon rolls, muffins, bagels, toast, frozen waffles, cereal, juice, coffee, milk. I would definitely not recommend this for asthmatics or those who cannot tolerate the smell of smoke.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Ohio State Fair/Expo Center? Share your experiences!