“Perfect location for the Expo Center” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 E Hudson Street, Columbus, OH 43211   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #48 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Central Indiana
“Perfect location for the Expo Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was a wonderful hotel, clean, comfy & convenient to the Expo Center. It is just one exit north of the fairgrounds, very easy to find. The room was clean and quiet. The breakfast surprised me, being that the lady served real scrambled eggs (not those egg patties), sausage, biscuits & gravy and warm cinnamon rolls, which were wonderful. It is in more of a residential area, however there is a Wendy's next door and the parking lot is fenced. I will stay there again next year for the Equine Affaire.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so happy to see that our clean, comfortable accommodations as well as our complimentary hot breakfast were able to make your stay with us so memorable. I am thrilled to see our convenient location, just minutes from the Ohio State Expo Center and Fairgrounds was so accessable for you while visiting us for the Equine Affair. On behalf of my entire team and I we welcome you again and can't wait to see you next year!
Trusha, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I come to Columbus about once or twice a year. Last year I stayed here for the first time and was really pleased with the service, location and price. I returned here again recently and was equally impressed. This has now become my go to hotel for Columbus. The hotel is family owned and the staff is incredibly friendly, helpful and all around welcoming. They've made several new renovations since my last stay - the rooms and lobby looked great! Breakfast was hot and fresh, as usual at Holiday Inn Expresses and I couldn't be more pleased with the housekeeping and service staff. During my last stay I didn't realize how close it was to OSU or the Crew stadium. If I ever come back for sports, I definitely plan on staying here. Additionally, I'd just like to point out they do put a temporary charge on your credit card (I've stayed at over 300 hotels all over the country and this is what EVERY hotel does. This is for incidentals.). I believe some of the reviewers here are outraged because they were pre-charged. This hotel was perfectly clear about this in that a) they told me up front they are doing this and b) they pre-charge a much smaller amount in comparison to most hotels. I really enjoyed my stay here and look forward to my return next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room - not a bad view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Merlin C,
Thank you for choosing our hotel again for your return stay in Columbus, Ohio. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us again! Being just minutes away from the Columbus Crew Stadium, Nationwide Arena and Ohio Stadium definitely has it's perks and we look forward to hosting you again when your travels bring you to Columbus!
Martins Ferry, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Hello,
Let me start off by saying that we have always stayed at Holiday Inn brand hotels. We have almost always been satisfied with our Holiday Inn experiences. This past weekends stay, has not typical, but will now keep us away from the brand that we have grown to know and TRUST!
The reviews that claim that this hotel is in a less than desirable part of town, are correct. There were bars on the surrounding businesses windows, razor wire on top of a fence across the street,a and shady-looking people walking around everywhere. I truly could have overlooked location, if the REST of the experience had been wonderful.
The experience started when I logged on last week, to verify the address of the hotel, so I could put it in our GPS and have it readily available, for our trip. My reservation was not there. I had made the reservation, two months or so in advance. I immediately called, the hotel said it was cancelled with central reservations. I did not cancel it, but was blamed for the mix-up. I would never have cancelled it, considering that we had this trip planned for months. Finally the hotel, gave me another room, this room was not for two queen beds, and was at a HIGHER rate, than initially booked for. I made this new reservation over the phone. The front desk clerk refused to put in that four people would be occupying the room. he only put two occupants, I had to call central reservations the next morning to update my reservation to accommodate my husband and two children and I. I should have just cancelled my reservation at this point, but I decided to give it another chance. We arrived at the hotel, our room was filthy. there were cobwebs between the ceiling and walls, the walls were dingy, there was unidentified splatters on the walls. The bathroom was filthy, and we found what looked like blood stains on the mattress. I did not even cover up with the sheets and or blankets, I made my daughters wear sweatshirts and sweatpants to bed, instead of covers. We were so disappointed. We decided to use the pool, there were no towels to be found. We only had two towels in our room, so we had to ask the desk for enough to swim and be able to take a shower later on. The room was so dirty, that later on that evening, we decided to go to the breakfast/lounge area to relax, and to be out of the room. There was a group of ( obviously) drunk hotel patrons, with beer after beer, screaming, laughing and yelling at each other and the TV. I like to have a good time, and relax, but this was utterly ridiculous, coming from the lobby of a hotel. I couldn't even carry on a conversation with my family, because they were so loud. The front desk clerk, did nothing to encourage the guests to quiet down, even just a little. We eventually just went back to our dirty room. We travel quite a bit for our daughters swimming competitions. We rarely have downtime to actually enjoy the hotels that we stay at. That was not the case, this past weekend, we actually had some time in the hotel It was sad, because we could not enjoy any of our hotel time. The breakfast was good, and the attendant at breakfast was very nice and personable. She was new, and honestly as the friendliest face that we experienced at this hotel. She was extremely professional, as well. we did not have to leave until checkout time on Sunday morning. Between 9:00 and 10:30, house keeping opened our door, THREE TIMES!!!! We had not checked out yet, I was getting dressed at one point, the fact that the door opened, was lovely. We were glad to check out on Sunday. I get home early this week, and check our bank account, in addition to the room charge of the hotel, there was an additional charge of 10.00! I was so upset, the quality of the hotel was poor, the service was poor, the hassle to find out what happened to our first reservation was terrible, then I am charged 10.00 extra? The price for this hotel was actually much higher than, competitors and the service aspect wasn't close to spot on. I am so upset at this point. I called the customer care 1-800 number, and have not heard anything back yet. I do not want anyone to have the same experiences that we have had. I have tried to contact management directly, a long with the 1-800, customer care line. I am overwhelmed and disappointed. This has absolutely crushed our long standing trust of The Holiday Inn Brand. I hope that someone will get in touch with me to address my concerns.

Room Tip: I would never choose a room at this hotel again.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
2EEs4Me,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent experience at our hotel with us. Here at the Holiday Inn Express we truly value our guest's feedback such as yours as it allows us to better improve our product for our guests. I apologize for all of the misunderstandings that occurred during your stay with us and I assure you that you review is not they typical reflection of our hotel. After reviewing your concerns I was able to get to better investigate your specific situation there are many very understandable reasons behind your confusions and I would be happy to discuss them with you at your convenience. Please feel free to contact me at agashi.cmhhs@gmail.com and I would be happy to explain each of your concerns in detail to keep you from experiencing these issues not only at our hotel but during all of your future stays as most hotels implement the same policies as ours. Thank you again so much for taking the time out of your day to share with us your experience at our hotel. I truly look forward to speaking with you.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was a guest of this hotel for 6 days and it was an excellent experience. The staff was friendly and always professional. My room and the entire hotel was spotless. The computer and printer in the lobby were very useful to check emails paid and print boarding passes. The hostess team who prepared our breakfast each day did an excellent job and all the food was very tasty. When I checked out, I left an important item in my room, I called the front desk and they immediately located the item and made shipping back to me an easy and stress free process. This hotel is now my top choice to stay during visits to family in columbus. Well done!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Fernbe,
I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us! Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am thrilled to see that we have earned the honor of being your home away from home while visiting Columbus! On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express - Ohio State Fairgrounds family thank you so much for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Saint Joseph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

This hotel is my pick for staying in columbus for the Expo Center events I attend throughout the year. Side streets bring me right to the center. The staff was again very friendly with a follow up call to be sure my room was perfect. The lobby was going through a updating and it looks great. The quality breakfast is always appreciated.
Wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Lisa P,
I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay while visiting us again this year! We too are very excited about our current renovations and we are even more excited for our future planned renovations to be completed! Here at the Holiday Inn Express - Ohio State Fairgrounds and Expo Center we constantly trying to improve our product to add value for our loyal guests such as yourself! Thank you again for reviewing your stay and on behalf of my entire team and I we can't wait to host you again soon so you can take advantage of all of the changes to come!
Smiths Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Right from arranging our early check-in through to our efficient check-out, staff were extremely helpful to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Staff were very friendly as well. The breakfast was the best I have ever had at any hotel that I have stayed in. The beds and room were very comfortable. Also enjoyed the pool.

Room Tip: From what I saw any room would be excellent accommodation.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Carol F.,

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! Here at the Holiday Inn Express - Ohio State Fairgrounds we take pride in providing comfortable accommodations with an attentive staff and complimentary full hot breakfast! I am so happy to see that we were able to exceed your expectations! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of our hotel! On behalf of my entire team and I we wish you safe travels and can't wait to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus, OH!

Yours in Hospitality,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Very well maintained property. Not a thing to complain about. The elevator (right next to our room) was even quiet. While it's not in the most amazing location, it is VERY close to a whole bunch of cool stuff. We were not more than 7 minutes from downtown, Short North, Clintonville and plenty other destinations in Columbus.

Room Tip: Our room (409) was right next to the elevator...but the elevator was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Scott G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us! I am pleased to see that we were able to offer you comfortable accommodations and I am glad you were able to take advantage of our super convenient location! On behalf of myself and my entire team we appreciate your feedback and can't wait to see you again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,
Nalini, Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center

Address: 701 E Hudson Street, Columbus, OH 43211
Location: United States > Ohio > Columbus
#20 Romantic Hotel in Columbus
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center 2.5*
The Holiday Inn Express Ohio State University and Expo Center hotel features complimentary high-speed wireless Internet, breakfast bar, indoor pool, fitness room and a meeting room. We also feature a variety of suite rooms including Jacuzzi and executive suites. The Holiday Inn Express Ohio State University and Expo Center hotel is located 1/2 mile from the Ohio Expo Center and Fairgrounds, Crew Stadium, and Ohio Historical Society as well as 1.3 miles from The Ohio State University. Our hotel is less than 5 minutes from downtown Columbus, the Columbus Convention Center and the Port Columbus International Airport (CMH) is a short 10 minute drive. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Ohio State Fair/Expo Hotel Columbus
Holiday Inn Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Columbus
Columbus Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center Columbus, Ohio

If you own or manage Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.