“Very close to OSU campus, Excellent service” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2110 Tuttle Park Place, Columbus, OH 43210   |
Ranked #1 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Very close to OSU campus, Excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a weekend visit to Ohio State University to see out godsons. The Blackwell has an ideal location to campus, very easy for us all to meet up.

The pluses outweigh the minuses. Although the rooms were clean, they had the wrong sized dust ruffles in the bed. I thought it was just our room, but we checked and other rooms had the same problem. It not only looked bad (they literally were hanging uneven all around), but it gave the feeling of being "unclean". The hotel would be wise to invest in bedding that was simple and well fitting.

The staff was truly wonderful! They were friendly and warm, and went out of their way to be helpful. Definitely got us past the ugly rooms!

There is a shuttle to and from the airport, which was helpful. We asked to use the shuttle for another drop off that was aprox 10 minutes away. Frankly, they could have charged us a fee and we still would have used it. Instead, we had a grumbly driver complaining that we are out of the way. We tipped very generously, and were under no obligation to do so. The hotel would be smart to make the shuttle available for local transit with a fee so the staf were a little happier about doing it.

The restaurant was good. We had a very nice brunch with 10 of us seated quickly and given the same great service we had at the hotel in general.

Overly, a nice stay. Im not a snob, but the hotel isn't cheap for the area, and the aesthetics should be fixed. The great staff made up for it.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were in town for the Girls Volleyball Junior Nationals. The league books all the hotels close to the convention center so it was impossible to get a reservation without going thru them. The Blackwell was not on their list, so we were able to get a room. It was not far from the Convention Center if you drive.

The Blackwell was much nicer than I thought it would be. I've been at other Big Ten school hotels and this one is much nicer than, for example, the one at MSU, the Kellogg Center. The rooms are nice, well appointed, and huge. The beds are great. Service is generally good. Our room had a king bed, with two work stations with work lamps & outlets, flat screen tv, built-in drawers, nice closet, relaxing chair (to watch tv). The view is pretty bleak---lots of parking lot and cement around. My husband commented that at least at the Kellogg Center you get a view of trees.

Nice things; students run the place and they are as nice as can be. Parking was free because they didn't have anyone manning the ticket booth (not much demand, so made sense). Place is well kept up.

One problem: we were there when it was about 100 F and 100% humidity. The AC was going full blast and it was really chilly. Because of the AC or HVAC system, the room had a damp, musty smell to it. I smelled it immediately and thought it was disgusting--kind of like wet, dirty socks. My husband (who has no nose I suppose) said it wasn't so bad. I wanted to move, but we decided to see if it improved when you turned the AC down. It didn't--at least to me. The only saving grace is that you get used to the smell after awhile. Everytime you enter the room though, you smell it all over again.

I wouldn't say that the hotel was a really good deal, given that we were in Columbus. We got a OSU Visitor rate of $153/night including 2 breakfast buffets. We forgot about the buffet though and went out to eat! Bummer! Didn't even notice the restaurant!

Food hint: If you love ice cream go to Jeni's near the convention center. This ice cream is to die for!!! Best flavors: plum sake sorbet, grapefruit frozen yogurt. i want to buy their cookbook!

Room Tip: Sniff it out first if the AC is on!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

From my check in to my check out everything at this hotel was superb. Excellent customer service. The room was very clean and well put together. I had no complaints...and I am not always the easiest person to please! lol

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was my third stay at the Blackwell and every time, the staff is attentive and friendly, the rooms clean and comfortable, room service is timely and tasty. If you have business on campus at OSU, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the conference suite if you can. The bed is a disappearing bed that sticks out too far from t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Lovely hotel on the campus of Ohio State University. Friendly, efficient hotel staff and very comfortable room w/ modern decor. Room are nicely appointed and well equipped for a working, business visit with WIFI, desk space and comfortable chairs. In room coffee, spa-like toiletries and comfy terry robes. Room service also efficient and well managed with a nice selection of choices for in-room dining.

If your business takes you to the University...it can't be beat!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I had 7 days to decide if I wanted to attend OSU Law as a waitlisted applicant. I called the Blackwell as it was recommended by a friend and was able to get a room at a great rate for the next evening. Check-in was quick and the room was ready early. The room was very nice: comfortable bed, desk area, 2 robes... more amenities than I even needed for such a short stay! But it became my oasis in a rather hectic 2 day trip.

The hotel is also ideally located at the north side of campus, right by the stadium, so I was able to walk around campus easily. Additionally, they offered a driver service when I called the concierge to ask about bus routes, so I had a private ride to the areas I wanted to see and just called again when I was ready to be picked up. That was welcome treat as the temperature was bordering 90 and I had been walking all around campus trying to get a feel for Columbus.

Check out was just as quick and I was able to stow my bag with the desk while I went to explore Columbus a little more and visit the law school. All in all, The Blackwell was perfect for me and what I was in Columbus to do: See the school, the city and be comfortable in the process. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Located very close to stadium. The OSU team used to stay there the night before home games....not sure if they do anymore. If you are a football fan you will see famous alumni, players, and dignateries in the hotel. Assume general madness. Not a family event during football games! It can get nuts depending on who is in town. Other times of the year the Blackwell is just a great hotel. Great service and great rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Blackwell? Share your experiences!