“As Good As It Gets” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Framingham, Massachusetts
“As Good As It Gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I can’t think of a single negative thing to say about The Blackwell. It is quite simply one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever stayed in, and I’ve been a frequent business traveler for 30 years.

Both of my stays at The Blackwell were covered by others, so I can’t speak to the room rates relative to other hotels in the area, but if you want to be on the Ohio State campus you can’t do much better for location. The hotel is set in the shadow of the massive OSU football stadium and services like restaurants and convenience stores are nearby. There’s a free shuttle from the airport (leather seats, nice touch) and the lobby, hallways and rooms are immaculate. The décor is modern art deco and done with restrained style.

The rooms are perfectly designed for the business traveler. One wall is a full-length desk with pop-out outlets. No crawling under tables to plug in your laptop. Beds are comfortable and well-stocked with pillows. The Blackwell includes some nice amenities like fluffy bathrobes, boutique soaps in the bathroom and a full ice bucket in the room. They even have the little chocolates on the pillow. In-room coffee is Green Mountain and the front desk is happy to dispense as many additional packets as you want.

In both my stays I’ve found the staff to be unceasingly cheerful, friendly and helpful. I suspect many are OSU students, but they’re well trained, regardless. There’s a small store for necessities in the lobby and the hotel is connected to the large Pfahl Conference Center, which has a nice restaurant on the first floor.

The Blackwell will be my hotel of choice each time I visit Columbus.

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Blackwell while in Colombus on business. The hotel was very nice, the room was well maintained, the bed comfortable, basically everything one would expect or hope for a hotel of this type. I can't speak to cost as it was covered for us but I will speak to the staff. All were top notch, all were young, most seemed to be college students at OSU, so it felt as if it was being run for a school finance project! But I say that only to say don't let the age of the staff fool you. They were extremely professional, helpful, and willing to go the extra mile. When we wanted a nice quiet meal (VERY hard to find in a big college town) the young concierge probably could have laughed in our faces! But he brainstormed with another staff member for quite awhile until they felt they had come up with a good choice, which they did. We headed out to Rigsby's which I will review in a separate review. We had our own car but the concierge decided against giving us only directions and sent us over in a chauffeured hotel car. I had been expecting a taxi at best so was pleasantly surprised by this service. They later returned to pick us up and helped round out a great night with this great service.
Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. The valets were prompt, the concierge more than comptent, even the young bartender who was willing to stay open when we wandered into the hotel bar while he was cleaning up. We opted not to stay but his enthusiastic willingness almost kept us!
The night time 'turn down' service is hand delivered chocolates and fresh ice to your room, again another personal and professional touch. The hotel is in walking distance of many a smaller campus restaurant or bar, but I suggest heading to the Short North area where a host of wonderful shops and eateries abound. All in all, a great place to stay and we will definitely head there again if we pass through Colombus.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Michigan USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The Blackwell adjoins the OSU Business school and is within sight of the stadium. First-rate rooms & service. I didn't sample any of the nearby restaurants, but can testify that the rooms are huge, everything works, tea & coffee apparatus in each room and a very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Overlooking the business school lets you watch their receptions (and pick the right costume to try t...
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was there for a conference and had never been to Colombus before. Shuttle that picks you up from the airport and very nice. Staff and front desk go out of their way to be helpful. Gal looked high and low to find me something for my headache and I'm glad she did because I sorely needed it. Rooms are great: robes, evening maid service, very quiet. The fitness room is nicer than most and the equipment works!

Piracicaba, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

If you are visiting the university is perfect! The hotel is inside the campus. Working people very polite. Also a good place for other atractions. Rooms are hudge....you can play inside... I would be there for sure!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Love this hotel. The beds are so comfortable, k-cup coffee machine in my room, Lindt chocolates on the table at night. Complimentary breakfast and wifi. I had meetings on campus and they were all within walking distance. Super friendly staff and room service was tasty and really reasonably priced. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2012
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

The Blackwell hotel is located on the OSU campus and run by the Fisher College (economics studies). It can easily compete with any other four to five star hotel in the US. The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. It was always very quite in my room and had a decent sleep in the very comfortable bed. Service stuff is extremely friendly and always helpful. I especially enjoyed the limousine transfer from and to the airport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Blackwell? Share your experiences!