“Norman Bates stays here” 1 of 5 stars

You added Motel 6 Columbus East to your Saves list
Motel 6 Columbus East
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   5910 Scarborough Blvd, Columbus, OH 43232   |
Ranked #131 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
“Norman Bates stays here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Perhaps the worst motel/hotel on I-71 south. I stopped here at 330 am with my two daughters out of desperation and exhaustion. While the desk clerk was friendly enough, the room was straight out of a crime drama. When we got to our room, the first thing we noticed were all the holes in the walls. The outlets were poor (couldn't hold my phone charger) as was the lighting, and the TV had to be 30 years old and didn't work. The shower ceiling was the scariest. It had so many water stains I was afraid that if I used it, the ceiling would fall on me. We made it 3 hours before checking out. Save yourself the money and stay at the local rest area or keep driving!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located by the Thirsty Turtle bar, this place is heaven on earth! The bathroom provided running water and we had TWO beds instead of one. They had no problem allowing smoking which was a plus and we only lost power twice during our overnight stay. The sheets must have been starched like the fancy places because ours were almost over starched to the point of being a little crusty. They even had machines that provided ice!!

• Stayed May 2014
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I agree 100% with the reviews mentioning the issues with safety and cleanliness. I stayed in Sept 2013 and the heating/cooling system was still broken. The room smelled like an ash tray and based on the number of cigarette butts outside my door, I don't think there are really any non-smoking rooms at this hotel. There was only a fitted sheet for the mattress and an very worn comforter cover on the bed. They were both stained quite badly. I put a towel on the bed and used my dog's crate blanket to cover up. Even though my dog had been traveling with me with her fleece blanket in her crate for several days and it smelled very doggy, I felt that was better than getting inside the bed. Fortunately, I had my own pillow and cuddling with my dog kept me warm when it went down to 40 degrees that night. We could see that the carpet was supposed to be light blue because the bed had been recently moved and there was a light circle where the leg had been. The carpet in the rest of the room was black and very dirty. The bathroom... we didn't even want to get in the shower. The people hanging around made us feel very uneasy and unsafe. It was so late and we had been driving two days when we stopped for the night. We were returning from a trip out west and on our first time through we had stopped at a Motel 6 in West Columbus. It was immaculately kept and the nicest Motel 6 I have visited. The only reason we didn't go back on the return trip was that we had been hoping to avoid morning rush hour traffic by passing through the city before stopping for the night. Now, I wish I had read the reviews here because I would rather sit in traffic or sleep in my van, than ever go back to that nightmarish hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Logan, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This motel is easily the worst property at which we've ever stayed. Run-down rooms, horrible carpet, burn holes in the bedspreads, an air conditioning unit that didn't work, so we spent the night hot and uncomfortable. It was clear that this hotel is also used as a home by people who can't afford to rent a house; looked more like Section 8 housing than a motel. We were fearful of our safety. Sadly, we rented two rooms here and I wish we'd gone somewhere, anywhere, else. Just completely horrible. I want my money back.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kettering, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

While my room was OK, there is something not quite right with this location. But, if you look at the neighboring properties you will quickly notice the whole neighborhood seems run down, with a lot of empty businesses.

I didn't have any problems, but I didn't feel like sleeping too soundly or for too long. I'd pay a bit more and go further east or west. But I'd never stay in the hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with front door parking.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Obviously when I stay at a budget hotel I don't expect anything above basic, but I at least expect the room to feel clean.

The room looked & smelled very dirty. Everything was run down & old - didn't even want to take off my shoes. My biggest complaint was the heating system - there wasn't one! The room was SO hot & there was an old, broken temperature control on the wall that you couldn't adjust. I had to open my door to cool it off - which doesn't feel so safe at midnight. Also, there was no actual blanket - only a sheet & one of those bed covers. Because there was no heat/AC wall unit I didn't have a fan or any way of muting out the noises of people coming & going at 2am...I had to sleep with my tv on! If the room is truly supposed to be "non-smoking" I would suggest taking out the ash-tray...even one with a no-smoking sticker on it.... Why put one in the room in the first place?

I will gladly pay $15-$20 more next time to go to a hotel that can offer me BASIC comfort & amenities.

• Stayed March 2013
brad j, General Manager at Motel 6 Columbus East, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
i am sorry you did not have a good expierence at my motel i assure you i have look into the issues and have corrected the issues that you spoke of
give me a call 614-755-2250 my name is brad johnson
South Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My brother and I were in the area November 29, 2012 for the purpose of moving his son away from Columbus, made reservations for two senior discount and arrived late this particular night. This was not my first stay with Motel 6 and for the most part have had good experiences at previous stays, however this was the worst of rooms I had ever experienced. We stayed in room 108, it was dirty, greatly in need of renovating and the worst part is that the sheets looked as though it had been slept in my many. I would recommend steering clear of this hotel...I know I certainly will!!! Construction looked as though it must have been performed by a local jack leg...certainly not professionally done.

Room Tip: Check the sheets...pull back the covers and inspect sheets and pillow cases are actually clean..look...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
brad j, General Manager at Motel 6 Columbus East, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
I am sorry that your stay was below your expectiations at my motel i assure you i have taken care of the issues that you explain that was wrong with your room . I hope you give us another chance and if you do will you personally ask for me .

Brad Johnson

Been to Motel 6 Columbus East? Share your experiences!