“Not authentic indian food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Street Food
Description: Real South Indian, Dum Biryani
Dublin, Ohio
“Not authentic indian food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Not fresh, food tastes processed. We asked for ghee and was told Americans don't like ghee and they have to serve what Americans like. Funny we are American and when we eat indian food we want indian food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio
“The WORST experience till date”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had been to Dakshin last weekend with my family & had horrible experience. There were hardly 2 more guests, & it took more than 40 mins for us to get our food. Once we got the food we ordered, it was all frozen & raw inside. So this was something not fresh. When I showed this to server, he said it was due to AC inside the hall. Are you kidding me??? When I left, I did not leave a tip, but I was charged a $7 tip... This is considered cheating, stealing, the list goes on & on... felt very sad.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tri Cities
“Unsuspecting & Disappointed Customer :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Well, I did not know it was South Indian food when I went there.
I was just happy and excited to try different Indian food while visiting in Ohio.

So for anyone that loves Indian foods - you should know that most of the restaurants are North Indian or a mix of North & South. This was definitely South Indian.

But I should clarify that I do like some South foods.

It was a buffet and the presentation looked good even though we were late coming in and it was close to afternoon closing time.

The biggest problem for me was that it seemed they put curry leaves in a lot of the dishes that they are not normally used in.

So my usual favorites were all loaded with curry leaves.
Curry leaves are NOT the same as curry spice mixes.

It is a heavily fragrant & pungent leaf. And can be too much for many dishes that usually are not made with them.
It dramatically changes the flavour.

I felt that the cook did not have a mastery of the foods.

The idili was flat and not fluffy as they should be.
The samosas has curry leaf as well. (I have never had that in India, America or Canada)
The chaat was so so but the tamarind sauce for it & samosas was way too sweet.

The carrot halva was so sweet I could not eat more than 2 small spoons of it. Also thin & not usual.
The custard with fruit was flat and tasteless.

The signs were posted on the buffet as to hot / medium and what the dishes were.

Well medium as VERY hot. So there was not much enjoyment going on there for me.

I was so disappointed I could not believe my experience!

Rarely I get bad Indian food in restaurants. Even when Indian friends say it is not very good I usually still like it.

So in trying to be fair I can say that the Tandoori Chicken was good, Chicken Tikka was good but again VERY hot.
The nan was good.
Rice was usual not exceptionally good nor bad.

For being late day buffet the foods were not all dried out.

So it was really all about flavours & spices & too much heat.

If you like heat you will probably like it.
Just do not expect the correct flavours for common dishes!

The place appeared clean and dishes & flatware were clean.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Powell, Ohio
“Delicious and cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The server was friendly and the buffet food was so deliciously good and the prices were unbelievable ($7.00)

My favorite was the Chicken Tikki Masala, they use cream in their curries which isn't common at other indian restaurants.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome buffet!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

So awesome! The owner uses cream in his delicious recipes instead of watering down the flavor like many of the Columbus Indian restaurants here. The food is tasty, pefectly spicy and the buffet is constantly being refilled. Must try. I go back for seconds if not thirds every visit!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere