“Have seen better Fairfield Inns but this was OK” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #65 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
“Have seen better Fairfield Inns but this was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

1. Checkin - OK fast 4stars
2. Room Appearance - 3 star average - stark
3. Room Cleanliness - 2 star, hair in bath tub
4. Room Issues = bath sink - stopped up very slow draining, called to fix 2 stars
5. response to sink prob - 4 stars next AM , maintenance man spent quite a while snaking crap out of pipes, thinking that no one has reported this in a while..the cleaning staff HAD to notice this.
6. Internet- wireless - 3 stars, had prob connecting called tech support to fix..probably not hotel fault but was aggravating
7. Other Hotel staff 5 stars - all friendly and smiling--good sign
8. Business center -i4 stars , in the lobby, not too private 2 computers with printers, set up very good, very fast internet( better than room).. copier would have made it 5 stars but i guess the desk has a copier if i really wanted it.
btw, beds were comfortable - 4 stars
Suggestions - Room cleanliness needs attention from management to be sure staff is doing their job effectively... Inspect their work more thoroughly and be more critical
probably total should be 3-1/2 stars

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My brother and I stayed here for two nights while visiting family. We were in room 245 and were disappointed with cleanliness of the room. The bathtub had stains and so did the walls and toilet. When the toilet was flushed, it would make a bubbling noise and water actually splashed out on to the floor! The wall had a strange patch in the shape of a church window and there was a stain on the curtain. I have attached photos showing examples of some of these problems. The heat/air was very noisy but surprisingly I slept ok (with earplugs). Perhaps it serves as white noise. One thing that would have been helpful in the bathroom would be a make up mirror. The counter is very large and it is hard to get close enough to the mirror to see.

I had owed my brother some money (seven dollars and change) and he left it out the first night on the nightstand. We noticed the next day it was gone and assumed the housekeeper thought it was a tip. To compensate, we just didn’t leave one at the end of our stay like we normally do.

There were signs at the entrances saying that cars had been broken into recently and to use caution. What a way to make a first impression to guests! There was also a large portion of parking spaces blocked off with caution tape, although I did not notice any construction.

We did not voice any of our concerns to the front desk when we were there because my Dad had used Marriott points to book the room and we were only there basically to sleep but it was a poor first impression for us of this Marriott brand.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Uniontown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Hotel was alright for our overnight stay. Really close to the Schottenstein Center. The pillows were uncomfortable but other than that everything else was alright. We had very little interaction with the staff other than a very quick check in. The breakfast was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were here for one night. The location of the hotel was perfect as we were there for a concert. It was a straight shot to the venue. The hotel is clean, hotel staff very accommodating, very nice. We did not take advantage of the pool...looked like a very nice pool. Overall our experience with this hotel was a pleasant one

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Macedonia, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Traveled with spouse and 2 kids. Hotel located in nice area on OSU campus. 2 minute drive to OSU football stadium. Applebees & Krogers, Big Lots close by/walking distance. Several fast food places close by too.

Check-in was easy & room was pretty large & clean. WHY do hotels still offer full size beds. Was a big disappointment. I guess I assumed beds were queen but you know what they say about when you assume something! Let's talk pillows...they sucked! I called down to see if they had any firm pillows but they brought me up 3 more like the ones on the bed. They were very smushy if your into that, which I am not! Took at least 3 pillows smashed together to get the effect of one firm. VERY annoying. Bathroom clean and all décor was up to date.

Pool was small but refreshing for the kiddos & hot tub next to the pool was great after a long day at the zoo. Ice machines were fully functional.

Breakfast next morning was not that great. Usual set up of dry cereal, milk, juice, coffee, fruit, watery eggs, boiled eggs, rubber sausage & dry breads. Waffle maker, as usual, had a long line. Was typical but again, had better. This area also was pretty good size & clean.

Small "office" area in lobby with 2 computers/printers to use. Wifi in rooms worked great. Little market place that sold small bags of chips, soda, water, beer by the can and wine by the small bottle are VERY over priced. Guess that's what you pay for convenience...better off going across parking lot to gas station or Krogers.

Hotel was only about 10-15 minutes from the Zoo & about another 10 minutes on to downtown Columbus. Gave it a "very good" rating because it was so clean but no frills otherwise. I'll take clean over frills though any day!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong here unless you are looking for a hotel with a restaurant on site.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I used to frequent Fairfield Inn's but moved to another chain as other chains seemed to cater more to my wants/needs as a business traveler.
Having been at least 5 years since staying at a FI, I thought I would give this one a try this week (while in Columbus for a biz trip) because it is across the street from my son's apt. FI touts a lot of changes in recent years to attract more business travelers so I thought why not?
I will start my review by saying my room (actually a 2-room suite) was adequate and it was certainly clean and well maintained, however,
- WiFi was slow, painfully slow.
- Temps this week have been in the 90's. the A/C unit in the bedroom was definitely newer than in the "living room" area and the the BR unit worked quite well while the unit in the LR area struggled to keep it comfortable.
- Breakfast - adequate. Signage in hotel lobby touts new, hot options/selections at breakfast. Selection wasn't terrible but hot selection was scrambled eggs and sausage patties, all four mornings I was there. Other similar hotels I stay at change it up every day.

The good:
- as I said, room was clean and it was very modern, nicely appointed
- the staff, everyone was super friendly and personable while professional
- suite was a nice step up from a regular room

When I am back in the area again in 10 days I will return to my normal hotel down the street. I would not tell you to stay away from this property but I can't rave about it. If you are a Fairfield Inn fan you may find this a nice place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel is blocks away from Ohio State Univ, 5 minutes from the AMC movie theatre & Whole Foods, and less than 10 minutes to downtown Columbus Convention Center. Krogers and the attached strip mall (Subway, pizza, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Afghan foods) is walking distance across the street from the hotel's parking lot. Applebee's, Bob Evans, and Sonic is also nearby. This hotel is bigger than any other Fairfield Inns we've been to. Lots of free parking. Breakfast is bountiful. Adrian, the breakfast attendant, makes sure it is fully stocked & replenished. For the most part, with the Marriott chain, their hotels are clean and comfy. The only thing preventing me from giving this a 5 star is that the springs/coils on our bed was popping & poking.... time for a new mattress. Also, the bathroom drain is slow and housekeeping should be reporting such things to maintenance. Someone got stuck at the elevator during our stay. Free wi-fi but slow at times. Small gym, small pool with hot tub. Other than that, this will be our new "go to" place when in Columbus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus OSU? Share your experiences!