“Better than expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
“Better than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here after being forced to quickly scramble for a room when the hotel I booked couldn't find my reservation.
I'm not one to stay at motels and am a self-proclamined germaphobe. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the room itself. While small and no-frills, it was clean and looked like it had been updated within the last few years.
Would I stay there again? Not on purpose. But it wasn't bad in a pinch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights for the OSU football game. Hotel was busy, alumni weekend. My room was clean and the bed (king) was clean and nice. One of the firmer hotel mattresses I've experienced lately. The room is basic, and small but adequate. So small, actually, that the door bumps the desk when opened. The tv is old (flat screen tube). Building Two is 30 feet from a train track with multiple overnight trains -completely obnoxious. Overall, though, you can't go wrong with the location on a game weekend for well under $100 a night.

• Stayed September 2013
North Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I (50's) booked a room last Saturday for a blues music event downtown. We have stayed here about 10 times previous so we know what to expect and it is plenty good for what we need. We recommend this hotel if you looking for a place to sleep and you plan to spend a minimal amount of time in the room.
Cons:
Towels are small
Rooms are clean but in need of update
Close to train tracks (this has never been a problem for us but I guess there is that potential)
A great OSU Buckeye's bar with memorabilia next door was torn down to build another hotel
Prices increase and availability decrease during OSU games
Pros:
Rooms are clean and we have never had trouble with noise
Free parking right outside your door if you are on first floor
$67 per night plus tax
Microwave and medium sized refrigerator included
Close to SR315 ramps and 5th street for easy access to downtown and Ohio State events
Flat screen TV

Room Tip: Ask for first floor away from the train tracks
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First time staying at this motel. Very affordable. Location was close to OSU. Check- in was easy. No breakfast but coffee available 24/7. Room had two queen sized beds which were very comfortable for motel beds. It looked like the motel had been refurbished recently with new bedding and a marble top near the sink. The rugs however were dirty and needed cleaning or replacing. I was uncomfortable walking on them with bare feet .The bathroom lighting was dim and the bathtub needed repair, but the actual shower was very good. There were enough towels and the usual amenities were fine. There was a clean, inviting pool which I did not get to use but I did enjoy being able to walk across the parking lot to shop at to Kohls. Based on the price, comfortable beds and convenience of the motel I will plan to stay there again,thought I do wish that the carpets were cleaner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Albany, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I wanted to let travlers know that we stay here every time we go to columbus and we have had great service. Very workable when it comes to us moving rooms around and other needs we might have. If you stay at Varsity you will always be taken care of. Thanks again varsity! Tonia C

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Montpelier, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Varsity Inn is very close to the OSU Hospital, and my husband and I often stay when he has appointments at The James Cancer Hospital. The hotel staff do their best to make our stays as comfortable as possible. There are a few things that could be improved, but the hospitality of the employees makes our stays worth it. Any time we've had an issue with anything, the problems have quickly and efficiently been taken care of. I would recommend The Varsity Inn to any of my friends or family needing a place to stay where their comfort and happiness is a top priority. Many of the employees have been warm and welcoming, but Jeffrey, in particular, has gone above and beyond to make us feel right at home! Thank you, Jeffrey, for making our stays at The Varsity Inn feel like a homecoming!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
var1445, General Manager at Varsity Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Wanted to thank you for the feedback. We do take pride in cleanliness and hospitality. I am glad location is convenient and Jeffrey’s customer service was outstanding. Thanks again for recommending us to family and friends. See you again when you are back in town.
Malta, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I thought the staff was very helpful, . The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. It is quite affordable, especially considering my frequent monthly stays. Getting half off after five stays is a nice deal. Being close to the medical center also suited our personal needs. Having the shopping center just across the street also made our trips that much pleasurable.

Room Tip: Room close to office was helpful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
var1445, General Manager at Varsity Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. I am glad we were able to meet your needs. Thanks again .

Been to Varsity Inn? Share your experiences!