“Great value; convenient to the OSU campus.” 5 of 5 stars

Varsity Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1445 Olentangy River Road, Columbus, OH 43212   |
Ranked #89 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“Great value; convenient to the OSU campus.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Varsity Inn South was a good value for the price. Our room was a bit on the small side but very clean. The hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is very convenient to the OSU campus. The first room we were put in did smell like cigarette smoke even though we asked for a non-smoking room but it was very clean. I asked the front desk if we could have another room and they gave us a new one without hesitation. The new room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It was also nice having a refrigerator in the room. The front desk was very helpful in extending our checkout for a few hours when we asked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room farthest from the train tracks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Plant city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have been staying at the Varsity Inn at least 4 times a year for a number of years because of its location close to OSU. We have liked that it is reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. However something has happened to "clean". About a month ago my husband experienced a slow drain with hair coming out of it in the shower. The problem was not resolved during his stay. We are now here again with someone else's dripped shampoo and crud on the edge of the tub, and a a dirty floor. This will probably be our last stay at the Varsity Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
var1445, General Manager at Varsity Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
First of all I wanted to apologize about the recent issue with the bath room situation and also wanted to assure you that we have addressed the issue to maintenance & housekeeping department as well so that they could be more proactive for rooms. Thanks for bringing the matter to our attention. I would request you not to lose trust in us. I would like to discuss further if you could please call me at 614-291-2983.

Thanks,
Management.
Copley, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I were in town for an event and booked a room at the Varsity Inn. Something should have told us to run when we did our check in through a drive through. When we got to our room, it was discovered that there were train tracks about 30 feet behind us that had trains running at all hours of the night. The room smelled stale and dirty. The one chair in the room had what appeared to be a large blood stain on it. The shower had what appeared to be black mold growing up around the shower edges. My husband and I tried to find another hotel on Saturday but they were all sold out, due to the event. When I told the main desk about the issues when we checked out, they were not very concerned and basically said sorry, have a nice day. We will NEVER stay there again!

Room Tip: DONT STAY HERE unless you are between the ages of 18-25 and dont care about the room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wooster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My mother in law needed to fly into Columbus as her son was at OSU hospital in serious condition. We searched for a hotel near the hospital. This Inn was a great value cost-wise, clean and close to OSU hospital. It also had restaurants literally within blocks of it. The service by Jeffrey was excellent, courteous and very helpful. She stayed there for seven days and then flew back to Florida when her son was discharged. I'd recommend this place to anyone as it is close to both OSU and Downtown Columbus.

Out Of Towner

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and there were restaurants nearby. The neighborhood seemed decent and the price makes it a good value. Don't mind the fright train that runs directly behind the motel, the train must not operate at night because I never noticed it after going to bed.

• Stayed April 2013
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The motel was close to downtown / convention center..VERY clean rooms, Bob Evans and Wendy's literally 75 feet from my door..GREAT WIFI connection..safe and secure parking right outside my door..close to target and more shopping..5 minutes to OSU campus and OSU medical center.. $50 per nite special rate if you are going to OSU medical center..great king size bed and wonderful pillows and sheets too..fridge and microwave in room..VERY NICE PLACE .. Highly recommended..

Room Tip: get rooms on first floor on the north side of the building to be close to Bob Evan's for breakfa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Very nice relative to the low rates. Austin, the guy at the front desk, was really helpful, especially with transportation arrangements after my stay was over.

I also liked how it was quite close to a very nice Bob Evans next door. The walk away only takes literal seconds, and this was very helpful given that it was only about five degrees Fahrenheit during my stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Varsity Inn? Share your experiences!