“Good business hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Chicago, Illinois
“Good business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was in Columbus on business. Stayed at the Courtyard Downtown. Room was exactly what I needed and the price was reasonable. The hotel staff was friendly and professional, helped to select a local restaurant.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
George B, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kevin56003,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that your stay was good and look forward to welcoming you next time you visit Columbus!

Assistant General Manager - Courtyard Columbus Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed for one night recently to attend a hockey game at the nearby Nationwide arena, which is just a couple blocks away and an easy walk. The hotel is easy to access off the nearby Interstate highways in downtown Columbus. As others have mentioned, there is only a valet parking option at $21/night, but that is not out of line for a downtown hotel in a large city. There may be other parking options nearby, but I admittedly did not look into it. The lobby and bistro areas are very nice and modern, clean and inviting. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Our room was a little dated, but clean and comfortable. We had a room with a King bed, but the bed size seemed small to us. Not a big deal at all as we normally share a Queen bed. My wife thought the bed a little uncomfortable, but maybe that was due to having a couple more beers than she normally drinks, haha. I was a little surprised that there were not more restaurants and bars in downtown Columbus, but there is a really good microbrewery/restaurant just a block away which we really enjoyed. Overall, we enjoyed our short stay and will absolutely return on future trips to Columbus.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear GoonerTDB,

Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind comments about our staff and amenities. It sounds like you had a great time during your visit to Columbus! It is true that our location in the Columbus central business district is a little quieter during evenings and weekends. Next time you stay with us, I would definitely recommend visiting the Short North Arts District located jus at two block walk north of our building and home to a huge number of restaurants and bars. See you next time!

Dayton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This location is in the Arena district, very convenient to Nationwide arena, restaurants and the Convention center. You can get just about anywhere with a short walk. Parking is meter or valet, so plan accordingly.

Our room didn't have the most breathtaking view (we faced an alley), but the decor was clean and modern. Very cool faucet fixture. The refrigerator was in a cabinet under the tv, and we did notice that it ran hot and that a particle board smell permeated the room, but it wasn't unbearable. There was no microwave, which would have been convenient.

Other pluses: Outlets EVERYWHERE. If you have a lot of gadgets to charge, this place is a dream. There are extra outlets built into nightstands, light fixtures, and lamps. Also, room keys that don't demagnetize when you accidentally put them next to your cell phone.

Other drawbacks: Weird 2-inch gap under the room door for some reason. Not all rooms have the greatest view, and there was some night noise from the alley (it was New Year's Eve, though, so bear that in mind). The bathroom layout is kind of odd, you have to get around the door and behind the tub to get to the toilet. No ventilation in the bathroom, and little sound insulation.

We didn't try the bistro, so I can't comment there, but I will second what others said about the short flight of seven stairs to get up to the elevator.

One last nice touch- the employees were very friendly and went out of their way to greet guests. We were in an elevator with one employee and she made it a point to ask everyone how they were doing, how their stay was going, wish us a happy holiday, etc. as we went up to our floor.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, make sure to let them know. WiFi is free, but I recommend paying...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
George B, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Kitsa,

Thank you for taking the time out to review your stay and thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and feel privileged to have been your hotel of choice for New Years Eve. I am particularly pleased that our staff were friendly and went out of their way to ensure you were taken care of. Good guest care is our greatest priority and factors into everything we do. Please come back and see us sometime this year!

Assistant General Manager - Courtyard By Marriott Columbus Downtown
ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were greeted very warmly and check in was easy. My husband and two teen boys were traveling with me, and although the beds were small (I thought they advertised queens, but these were definitely double), we brought an inflatable mattress and had plenty of room to set it up and not trip over it. There is no ventilation in the bathroom, so we steamed the room up a bit with four of us showering.

Breakfast was a joke however. The food was nasty. And I didn't like paying $21 for valet service either. So that's the reason for the lesser stars.

Stayed December 2014
George B, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear K M,

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and hotel! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Although some of our two-bed rooms contain two queen-size beds, due to the varying sizes of our rooms the majority are indeed double-bed rooms. For this reason, we currently advertise only as having two double beds to minimize the possibility of disappointment amongst those who require larger beds. I was disappointed to hear you did not enjoy our Bistro. We are very proud of the quality of our food and our staff take tremendous pride in their work. If you have time, I would be interested to speak with you directly about your experience. Please feel free to call me anytime at 614-228-3200 ext. 164. Once again, thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014

Good location. Good sized rooms with comfy beds. Very clean. Only drawback is lack of parking. There is only valet or meter parking but you can't tell that from the outside, forcing you to go down a few blocks to circle back to the hotel. You also have to carry your bags up a set of stairs in order to get to the elevators. If you are noise sensitive, my husband heard a train during the night which he said was loud.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy D.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! On behalf of us all, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I apologize for any difficulty encountered with parking. In common with most downtown hotels we offer only valet parking at this time, however there are alternatives located off-property which our staff are happy to assist you with locating if you would prefer. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back on your next visit to Columbus, Ohio!

George Bradley - Assistant General Manager
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

I had a friend fly in from Boston this past weekend so we decided to party it up in Columbus on Saturday night. I decided to be cheap and went with priceline and I have to admit that I am so glad that we got this hotel. The room was amazing and the beds were very comfortable. I love the separate work area for people who are traveling for business and the fact that it was within walking distance to the Arena District. I feel like I go tlucky with this room. Windows were a little high so you couldn't really look out of them but the decor was still nice. The one downfall was that I was not informed by priceline or by the hotel when I called to make a request for a double bed room that there is a charge of $21 a night for valet parking. I was ok with this upon my arrival to the hotel. I parked on the street at first and just fed the meter but the moved it into valet for a couple hours. I got my car out of valet when we got back to the room around midnight so we could go grab a late night snack and when I returned I left my keys with the clerk at the front desk like I wa told to do by the guy running the valet. I went up to the room, ate, showered, watched some tv and when I came down 2 hours later to smoke a cigarette out front of the hotel I was very discouraged to see that my car was still sitting right where I left it in front of the building. I went in, I wouldn't say I complained but I don't see a point in paying for valet when they aren't going to be parking my car for me. I got my keys back from the nice lady working and she adjusted my bill for me and I simply parked my car across the street for free since it was after 10PM and parking is also free on Sundays. Overall, it was a good experience except for the mishap with the valet.

Room Tip: I originally asked for a room that was higher up and I was given one on the second floor. I don'...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
George B, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, November 26, 2014
Dear klong8504,

Thank you for your kind comments. Your feedback is important as it helps us to constantly improve. We are very proud of our hotel and enjoy "wowing" our guests with our great location, building and staff! I am sorry about the issue with valet parking and am glad we were able to resolve this for you. I have passed on your comments about this to the valet manager for him to address with the team. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

I'm in Columbus on business a lot and I've stayed at various hotels in the downtown area. This Courtyard is ok. If you have issues with stairs, you should probably choose a different hotel (there are plenty in the area). There are stairs in this hotel you cannot easily avoid. The bellhop said there was no way to avoid the stairs and to just take my time trying to navigate the stairs. After I got to the room, however, the front desk staff told me about the handicap elevator and said I could "use it if I wanted to" but I could never figure out how to call it and make it work. So, choose between 8 steps or 13. Depends on what floor you are coming from and what floor you want to go to. The lobby/street level is located between the lower level (basement) and the first floor of the hotel. Enough about stairs. The room was your typical, average hotel room. It had a mini-fridge. Heating unit worked fine. The room was clean.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
George B, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, November 22, 2014
Dear AAHolt,

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us! We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience regarding our stairs - as a historic building I agree we do have a somewhat unconventional design, but our friendly staff are always available to assist with any challenges. Thank you for your kind words regarding the cleanliness and repair of our accommodations. We prioritize both of these areas very highly and are glad you were satisfied with your room. Please come back and see us soon!

Assistant General Manager - Courtyard Columbus Downtown

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!