“Great Location But You Pay For It” 3 of 5 stars

Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 N High St, Columbus, OH 43215   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
“Great Location But You Pay For It”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located at a great spot on N High St. The North Market is right behind it (great local food vendors, among other things!). A beautiful Greek Orthodox Church is next door. Numerous restaurants, bars, and stores are within easy walking distance. Short North is a couple of blocks north with trendy restaurants and stores. We ate dinner at a pub next door and breakfast in Short North. We were upgraded for free to a King suite. The bed was very comfortable. The suite adds a kitchenette and couch wih second TV. The couch looked well worn and had crumbs of some sort on it. Needless to say, we didnt use the suite part of our room. The hotel is undergoing renovations (mainly decor changes). Unlike other reviewers, we didn't hear any noise and slept soundly. Valet parking is the only parking available on site, but the valets are very friendly and took good care of the car. The hotel price (on Hampton's site and other travel sites) was a bit much for a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lexington, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our recent stay at Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Columbus couldn’t have been more perfect for what we were trying to achieve on our recent getaway ~ a location that put us within walking distance of shops, restaurants and attractions with all the comforts and amenities we’d find at home.
*Although it is really downtown, we felt quite safe walking around even after dark.

The Hotel is situated directly across from the convention center and is just steps away from some of Columbus’ “hot spots” like the North Market, Short North, Arena District, OSU, Blue Jackets hockey & more.

From the outside, the stately brick hotel looks like it’s been a fixture in the downtown landscape for decades. But once through the front doors, its evident, this hotel has every modern convenience imaginable ~ including a second floor indoor pool, whirlpool, fitness center, and sprawling lounge area with flat screen TV’s , leather couches and chairs.
During our overnight stay we took advantage of the walking proximity of great food and fun. We ate Jeni’s Ice Cream (yum), had dinner at Knead ~ which is a great modern diner boasting many locally sourced ingredients. We walked through the North Market, shopped in the boutiques that lined High Street and eventually sank into the crisp white bedding in our suite at the hotel.
Since this was Backseat Traveler’s first Hampton Inn stay, we can’t vouch for others, but this particular stay was incredibly comfortable and relaxing. Our room, a one bedroom suite, had a kitchenette (mini fridge, microwave, sink and bar area) , pull out couch, 2 rooms, 2 flat screen TV’s with a great selection of stations, a sprawling bathroom area and plenty of room for a family of 5 to spread out and relax.

The hotel was incredibly quiet, even with a room on the 2nd floor where the lounge/breakfast area and the pool were located. And speaking of breakfast… we were more than impressed (exuberant, ecstatic, really happy) with the delicious (and free) breakfast. Oatmeal, Belgium waffles, omelets, French toast, cereals, pastries, coffee, juice..There was more than enough options to please the entire family and fill bellies for day two of sightseeing.

The staff was incredibly helpful and cheerful during the entire stay. From the valet staff to the maid service (after we locked ourselves out of our room we got to meet the really sweet housekeeper) we were more than impressed with the service. It seemed every guest we encountered seemed to be equally enjoying their stay as well ~ which is always a sign, to us here at Backseat Traveler, that a hotel is doing something ~ or many things, right.

**Other things we loved.
~ Free WIFI!
~ Complimentary bottles of water at check in!
~ Clean Duvet covers on each bed (cute little post-it notes letting you know that)

Room Tip: Sorry, it is downtown. Although if you get a room on the north side of the building there is a bit m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tate, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights. They have signs posted that there is construction taking place to improve the hotel and expect disturbances from 8:30 am to 5 pm. That is fine. I understand a hotel needing renovations BUT the NOISE pounding of pipes began BEFORE 7:30 AM!! That was all after at 4:30 am the dumpster was emptied when I woke to the beep beep beep BANG.

The first morning I tried to get my car from valley- it took over 15 minutes which I had not planned for. The 2nd day, I called from. Y room and the car was waiting for me. And $23 per night to park a car is highway robbery!

The bed and room was fine- but seriously, the noise was crazy!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 646
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was having a very rough day when I arrived at the hotel - even to the point of forgetting to take my luggage out of the valet-parked car. Patrick was very helpful (including chasing down the car). The lounge area was very comfortable with plenty of outlets for my laptop and comfy chairs. The room was quiet and comfortable and breakfast was typical. What truly made this property stand out was the staff. I wish I could call them each out by name, but unfortunately only remember Patrick. Thank you!

Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am a long time Hilton Diamond member so I am always scouting out the best bang for my buck when in a new city. When in downtown Columbus, this one is it.
This is a newer property right across from the Columbus Convention Center and adjacent to the Arena District.
All the rooms are newly completed /remodeled and have flat panels, full vanity bathrooms, etc.
It reminded me of a higher scale Hilton Garden Inn or even a full service Hilton Hotel property in some other cities.
The staff was very professional, and fun, and were happy to provide me with recomendations for spots to eat and drink within easy walking distance.
The only quasi-negative I had with the property is that they charge 23.00 to valet per day and do not have a self park option.
I found my own option and parked at the garage behind the hotel and to the left of the Market for only 14.00 per day.
My favorite part of my stay is that is that the property is located only a few steps from Barleys Columbus which is one of my favorite microbreweries and grills in the Midwest.
I will not hesitate to stay here again and as a mater of fact will be back up there at the end of March.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Wildcat1897,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and the great team we have here. Thank you for being a loyal Hilton Honors Diamond member and I am very glad to hear you will be back at the end of the month.
Safe travels!
Deposit, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We really loved Patrick and Clifford. They were incredibly helpful. We also loved the valet and front desk staff, as well as the staff serving breakfast. But the breakfasts were terrible and the heating system was terribly noisy.

Room Tip: The omelettes are very institutional. Those and the french toast sticks are the very same product s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Shoops_13,
Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed a lot of the staff members and the service they provided. I am however disappointed to hear that our breakfast fell short of your expectations along with the noisy HVAC in your room. I would like to get some additional feedback from you about the breakfast and HVAC experience. At your convenience, do you mind emailing me at matthew.kolbrich@hilton.com with a bit more details? You may also call me to discuss if you prefer, 614-559-2000. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you!
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Amazing staff and awesome room. Gorgeous bathroom, new, modern, very comfortable bed. Pool was warm and relaxing. Breakfast was great, something for everyone. Location could not have been more perfect. Our stay was very enjoyable and would highly recommend this hotel. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Julie D, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us! I am very happy to hear that you like the new bathrooms and our amenities. We have received a lot of great compliments about them! I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future.

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!