“A nice stay, butt !!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati
“A nice stay, butt !!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

We arrived on a saturday and just stayed one night. The service was decent and the hotel room was clean and nice, but when we dropped the car off at the valet there was a small package of things that my wife had purchaced that day left on the floor in the back seat. In the morning we collected the car and drove straight home to Cincinnati. While unloading we noticed that this package was missing! I don't know if the car was left unlocked or what may have happened, but I wouldn't leave anything to chance with their valet parking. The loss of theese items will cause me to never stay here or any other hotel that has valet only parking.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently and came away impressed. It's location in the Arena District was the primary selling point to us as we were looking for a place to stay after a night of gallery and bar hopping in the Short North area. It is a fairly new hotel and is still in very good shape - no noticeable wear and tear as far as we could tell. The rooms are typical Hampton Inn and provide good value for the dollar. The hotel staff was very friendly during all of our interactions and the door/bell man was extremely attentive. The only negative is the parking situation - you are forced to valet park at a cost of around $20/night. This seems a bit expensive but given the downtown location, you are basically forced to utilize the hotel's parking service. Overall, this is a typical solid Hampton Inn property and we would definitely stay here again when visiting downtown Columbus.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The parking situation
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

This hotel is located centrally downtown and two blocks from Nationwide Arena and directly across the street from the Convention Center.

However, the only staff member that impressed me was the bellman.

He saw me outside and asked if i needed help, and was nice to get a taxi for me.

The rest of the staff were kind of lame, didn't welcome me asked for my credit card and that was it.

Trying to get transportation the next morning was hard even though they had set up transportation for me.

The closets are extermely small beware if you have nice clothes.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff & Responseiveness to Needs
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southeast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

This was our first stay at a Hampton.
We are Choice Privileges and Hilton Club members. We've traveled in every state in the USA. This was not the highest priced by far, or the best location, but for the money, it was a terrible disappointment.
Noise was terrible. Walls were thin; hall noise was excessive. Garbage truck backed up to the alley early in the AM with its loud back-up siren. There was no hot water. Every time I walked around the block, I was hustled for money "for coffee" by street people. When we pay this price for a motel, we expect a microwave and refrigerator in the room. There was none. It wasn't the $19 per night car parking that bothered us most. It was the fact that every time you wanted to put something IN or take something OUT of the car, you had to be accompanied by a valet, which meant another tip. That multiplied the cost of parking. as well as inconvenience.

On the plus side, the beds and pillows were soft. The staff was friendly. There was a full breakfast, but we've had a better selection at much less costly motels. Checkin was easy. Checkout was even easier - fast checkout under the door. It was close to a Market where we could buy fresh food and snacks as well as coffee shops and HP steakhouse, where we had a delicious filet mignon.

No, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — Bed and pillow comfort
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

We just returned from a 3-day trip to Columbus. A great place to stay, great location, very friendly and helpful staff. Great beds, linens, large rooms, nice breakfast buffet. This Hampton is newly decorated and is beautiful and very clean.

The outside sign is very small and easy to miss. The valet parking is convenient but $19. Also, I wish the bathroom had had better lighting and a magnifying mirror for makeup and the towels were rather harsh.

Also, better to have a higher floor on a weekend night, as the noise from street (motorcycles, and a festival) could bother some. We were on the 4th floor, as they were nice enough to accommodate an early check in (about noonish).

All in all, a very nice experience -- it ran about $170 a night with taxes and valet.

• Liked — location and helpful staff
  • Disliked — poor lighting in bathroom and scratchy towels
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites for two nights during a business trip and was thoroughly satisfied with this property. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and the rooms and facilities are modern and clean. The hotel is close to several good restaurants on or near the short north. Although the hotel does try to escape it's "Hampton" roots in several ways (e.g. expansive lobby, presidential suites, valet parking), the standard Hampton Inn products are present and accounted for: Hampton Inn bedding is comfy as usual, complimentary breakfast is standard Hampton menu, free internet access worked well. The hospitable staff was definitely a cut above Hampton standards, and in many ways were better than the staff at some very big Hilton hotels at which I've stayed. ! I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Downtown Columbus.

• Liked — Friendly staff and clean rooms
  • Disliked — Spotty WiFi, forced to use wired internet.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

This was my first stay at a Hampton Inn. And I am officially a convert!

The hotel is a bit difficult to get to. Directions from several different online services all left me on the highway, and not on High Street. By sheer dumb luck, I picked an exit to get off on (sorry I don't remember which one it was!) and ended up on High Street, a block away from the hotel.

Parking is valet, and is $19 per day. Pricey, but what can you do for a downtown hotel?

The staff at the front desk was WONDERFUL! Check in was a breeze. They were super friendly and helpful, and made it a point to ask me about my travels and what brought me to town. The young man who checked me in wasn't sure if my room was ready yet (I had reserved a regular room at the cheapest rate), and upgraded me to a suite.

The suite is wonderful. You walk in the door, and there's a nice-sized area with a large breakfast bar where you can sit down, and a kitchen area with a sink, microwave and refridgerator. My only complaints about this area is that there was a leftover dessert in the fridge from two months previous, and there were not any sort of paper plates or plastic utensils that i've seen elsewhere.

There is a large living room area with a sleeper sofa and two nice armchairs (one with an ottoman), several end tables, a coffee table, and am armoire with a large tv. There are several larged framed pictures and (artificial) potted plants throughout.

There is a double door entry into the bedroom area. There is a king sized bed with some of the best bedding I have ever slept on! There is a desk area, and another large television/armoire. There is another nice reading chair/ottoman combination. The closet is very large and mirrored
Open off the bedroom area is the vanity area. Very well lit. It is not just a counter- there are plenty of drawers for storage. The toiletries are the usual- nothing special- shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial soap and body soap. One very small touch that I appreciated was a soap dish. There is never a soap dish at hotel sinks!!!

The bed is absolutely to-die for. There is some street noise, but the heater helps block that out.

I wish there was wireless. I would prefer to work on my laptop on my bed, but instead have to plug in either at the breakfast bar area or at the desk in the bedroom.

The shower and toilet are in a separate room with a door. It's not as cramped as other hotels usually are. However, it does have both of my hotel bathroom pet peeves- dim lighting and poor ventilation. The lighting issue was somewhat alleviated by the curved curtain rod and the curtain itself. The curtain had a clear panel about eye level (high enough that it should not expose the chest of a woman) that lets light in. Great idea, however, the shower curtain itself was a thin fabric. It makes me wonder how often it gets washed (there was a hair- not mine- on it, so obviously not washed every guest). The towels were nothing special. The water pressure and temperature were great. It drained very slowly- I left a note for the housekeeper.

The gym was small- 2 treadmills, an old-school elliptical and a reclined bike. All old, but all in good condition. It was rather warm in the exercise room because it is located adjacent to the pool and sauna. This made it somewhat uncomfortable/difficult to breath when working out. I did not use the pool during this stay.

This hotel is convenient to the Convention Center and there are nearby restaurants. The last time I stayed in Columbus, I stayed at the Holiday Inn and I recommend the Hampton over that any day!

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Expensive valet parking
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!