“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southeast
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

This was our first stay at a Hampton.
We are Choice Privileges and Hilton Club members. We've traveled in every state in the USA. This was not the highest priced by far, or the best location, but for the money, it was a terrible disappointment.
Noise was terrible. Walls were thin; hall noise was excessive. Garbage truck backed up to the alley early in the AM with its loud back-up siren. There was no hot water. Every time I walked around the block, I was hustled for money "for coffee" by street people. When we pay this price for a motel, we expect a microwave and refrigerator in the room. There was none. It wasn't the $19 per night car parking that bothered us most. It was the fact that every time you wanted to put something IN or take something OUT of the car, you had to be accompanied by a valet, which meant another tip. That multiplied the cost of parking. as well as inconvenience.

On the plus side, the beds and pillows were soft. The staff was friendly. There was a full breakfast, but we've had a better selection at much less costly motels. Checkin was easy. Checkout was even easier - fast checkout under the door. It was close to a Market where we could buy fresh food and snacks as well as coffee shops and HP steakhouse, where we had a delicious filet mignon.

No, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — Bed and pillow comfort
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

We just returned from a 3-day trip to Columbus. A great place to stay, great location, very friendly and helpful staff. Great beds, linens, large rooms, nice breakfast buffet. This Hampton is newly decorated and is beautiful and very clean.

The outside sign is very small and easy to miss. The valet parking is convenient but $19. Also, I wish the bathroom had had better lighting and a magnifying mirror for makeup and the towels were rather harsh.

Also, better to have a higher floor on a weekend night, as the noise from street (motorcycles, and a festival) could bother some. We were on the 4th floor, as they were nice enough to accommodate an early check in (about noonish).

All in all, a very nice experience -- it ran about $170 a night with taxes and valet.

• Liked — location and helpful staff
  • Disliked — poor lighting in bathroom and scratchy towels
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites for two nights during a business trip and was thoroughly satisfied with this property. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and the rooms and facilities are modern and clean. The hotel is close to several good restaurants on or near the short north. Although the hotel does try to escape it's "Hampton" roots in several ways (e.g. expansive lobby, presidential suites, valet parking), the standard Hampton Inn products are present and accounted for: Hampton Inn bedding is comfy as usual, complimentary breakfast is standard Hampton menu, free internet access worked well. The hospitable staff was definitely a cut above Hampton standards, and in many ways were better than the staff at some very big Hilton hotels at which I've stayed. ! I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Downtown Columbus.

• Liked — Friendly staff and clean rooms
  • Disliked — Spotty WiFi, forced to use wired internet.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

This was my first stay at a Hampton Inn. And I am officially a convert!

The hotel is a bit difficult to get to. Directions from several different online services all left me on the highway, and not on High Street. By sheer dumb luck, I picked an exit to get off on (sorry I don't remember which one it was!) and ended up on High Street, a block away from the hotel.

Parking is valet, and is $19 per day. Pricey, but what can you do for a downtown hotel?

The staff at the front desk was WONDERFUL! Check in was a breeze. They were super friendly and helpful, and made it a point to ask me about my travels and what brought me to town. The young man who checked me in wasn't sure if my room was ready yet (I had reserved a regular room at the cheapest rate), and upgraded me to a suite.

The suite is wonderful. You walk in the door, and there's a nice-sized area with a large breakfast bar where you can sit down, and a kitchen area with a sink, microwave and refridgerator. My only complaints about this area is that there was a leftover dessert in the fridge from two months previous, and there were not any sort of paper plates or plastic utensils that i've seen elsewhere.

There is a large living room area with a sleeper sofa and two nice armchairs (one with an ottoman), several end tables, a coffee table, and am armoire with a large tv. There are several larged framed pictures and (artificial) potted plants throughout.

There is a double door entry into the bedroom area. There is a king sized bed with some of the best bedding I have ever slept on! There is a desk area, and another large television/armoire. There is another nice reading chair/ottoman combination. The closet is very large and mirrored
Open off the bedroom area is the vanity area. Very well lit. It is not just a counter- there are plenty of drawers for storage. The toiletries are the usual- nothing special- shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial soap and body soap. One very small touch that I appreciated was a soap dish. There is never a soap dish at hotel sinks!!!

The bed is absolutely to-die for. There is some street noise, but the heater helps block that out.

I wish there was wireless. I would prefer to work on my laptop on my bed, but instead have to plug in either at the breakfast bar area or at the desk in the bedroom.

The shower and toilet are in a separate room with a door. It's not as cramped as other hotels usually are. However, it does have both of my hotel bathroom pet peeves- dim lighting and poor ventilation. The lighting issue was somewhat alleviated by the curved curtain rod and the curtain itself. The curtain had a clear panel about eye level (high enough that it should not expose the chest of a woman) that lets light in. Great idea, however, the shower curtain itself was a thin fabric. It makes me wonder how often it gets washed (there was a hair- not mine- on it, so obviously not washed every guest). The towels were nothing special. The water pressure and temperature were great. It drained very slowly- I left a note for the housekeeper.

The gym was small- 2 treadmills, an old-school elliptical and a reclined bike. All old, but all in good condition. It was rather warm in the exercise room because it is located adjacent to the pool and sauna. This made it somewhat uncomfortable/difficult to breath when working out. I did not use the pool during this stay.

This hotel is convenient to the Convention Center and there are nearby restaurants. The last time I stayed in Columbus, I stayed at the Holiday Inn and I recommend the Hampton over that any day!

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Expensive valet parking
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

I usually prefer to stay at this facility when visiting Columbus due to the excellent location straddling Short North and downtown. Overall the facility is very clean and comfortable. Most of my visits have been pleasant enough and in line with other Hampton Inn and Suites. However the customer service during my last couple of visits has been lacking. Most recently upon check-in, there was no mention of my repeat business there, or the fact that I am a Hilton Honors Diamond VIP. The man behind the counter was generally unfriendly. There was no complimentary refreshment in my room and my room location preferences were completely reverse. The second day of my visit, housekeeping did not come to service the room until almost 5pm. Parking at the hotel is by valet only ($19/day), but the attendants there were prompt and courteous. These issues don’t constitute a “bad experience”, but there are plenty of other nice, customer service oriented places to stay in the area.

Stayed June 2007
Nixa, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

This was a great place for us to stay. The location was great, across the street from the Convention Center, where we needed to go for 2 days. There are restaurants nearby, and there is an indoor market place, 1/2 block away, with at least 6 different ethnic food vendors where we could buy lunch. The hotel has a free continental breakfast which included eggs (precooked), biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, fruit salad, bagels, muffins, bread (a toaster is available), donuts, cold cereal, milk, juice, tea, and coffee. Tea and coffee are available for free any time of day. There is a small convience area next to the registration desk where we could buy snacks and sundries. Our 6 oz toothpaste was confiscated at the airport and the registration clerk gave us a free travel size tube of name brand toothpaste when we inquired. The room had a king sized bed and a pull out couch. There is a coffee maker and free coffee and tea bags (2) in the bathroom. The room was clean, and larger than most hotel rooms. The employees were friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of parking (but we didn't require it)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

While reviewing another hotel I came across this Hampton we stayed at last summer and thought I'd give my two cents worth.
I booked our room 2 days before our stay on the phone directly with the front desk. We were meeting friends in town for some downtown nightlife/restaurants and stayed one night.

Pros: Beautiful hotel. Gorgeous room and ultra comfortable bed w/ down linens. Huge bathroom and very clean. Great location for walking downtown to a variety of upscale dining and shopping.

Cons: Upon arrival they had no record of our reservation despite a confirmation number and the name of who took our reservation. Last-minute room not located anywhere near our friends. HAVE to pay valet parking in a parking garage attached to hotel. Didn't sleep a wink due to hallway noise - evidently a drunk crowd was also staying on our floor and attending a wedding reception. Our room was on the second or third floor, not near where the festivites were, but evidently where alot of the guests were staying. Called twice to front desk to control noise, once at 2:00AM and again at 4:00AM.

Needless to say, Hampton's policy is that if your not 100%satisfied you stay free, and we stayed free. They had record of both our calls and that our orginal room was canceled so the front desk guy pleasantly and without question refunded our money.

I would stay there again despite the problems and unruly crowd. Beautiful hotel in a prime location for walking to fabulous restaurants. However, be prepared for panhandlers in the evening hours if your walking back.

• Liked — Gorgeous, clean and excellent location.
  • Disliked — Lost our reservation and noisy drunk guests.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!