“Not that great.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
North Carolina
“Not that great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Large room, nice folks, clean, typical Red Roof, though with a big plus: a laundry downstairs. $1.25 a wash or a dry. Our room smelled like someone had given her/himself a permanent that morning. Window was bolted shut. Other than a ventilation issue it was also an issue when the smoke alarm went off at 3:30 in the morning and we realized that if the hallway was filled with fire, we had no alternative exit. Loud on a Saturday night with lots of banging doors and creaking bedsprings. The bar next door had broken beer bottles all over Sunday morn. These aren't the management's fault but the crashed car in the parking lot is. It should be removed. It's the first thing you see.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brandonlarson, General Manager at Worthington Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thanks for the review. I apologize for the window being bolted shut. All the rooms have locks on the windows for the safety and security of our guests. I see how this could be inconvenient for some and for that I am sorry. I also apologize for the noise from the pub next door. They do get a little loud at times on football weekends and we work closely with local law enforcement to keep it to a minimum. The fire alarm was indeed a false alarm, and again, I've very sorry for the disturbance. We hope you'll come see us again the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Aurora, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were given a room on the ground floor. I later discovered that those rooms were given to guests with pets so they have easy access to go outside and 'do their business'. Well, it certainly smelled that way when we entered the room, but instead of going outside, it smelled and looked like a dog had gone to the bathroom in the room itself (combined with the smell of cigarettes). There was a huge stain on the carpet and we dare not take off our shoes or even use our slippers on the filthy carpet. I checked the bed, as I always do, and found 5 disgusting strands of hair. I immediately requested new sheets, and the clerk gave me new ones. The room was dingy and damp. We finally couldn't take it anymore, and we requested another room. The clerk didn't ask questions and gave us a new room immediately. The clerks are generally quite friendly and helpful.

The room on the second floor was MUCH BETTER than the one ont he ground floor. The second floor is supposed to be non-smoking. When we entered the room, we could smell the air freshener, but once you get used to it, you could smell a hint (only a hint) of smoke. The bed was hair-free, sheets were a bit scratchy, but overall it was quite comfortable. One major complaint - the bathtub was clogged up, and while taking a shower, the water kept on filling up 'til the point that it covered my ankles.

Overall, you definately get what you pay for - other hotels around the area charge $20-30.00 more / night. If you're staying for 1-2 nights, it would be fine. It's a quiet hotel - I didn't hear much noise in the hallways. If you decide to go with this hotel, just check the beds for hair and request a room on the second floor.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, choose a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review. I sincerely apologize for the first room you were given. We've since addressed the maintenance concerns in the room. I'm glad we were able to accomodate you with another clean and issue-free room. I hope you'll stop and see us next time you're in town.
Independence, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We had a nice, clean, comfortable room for a great price. Lots of convenient places to eat. The desk staff was not overly friendly, but they provided great service! Very happy to have found this place. I wish it were closer to 1-70 but it's worth the drive for the value it provides.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brandonlarson, General Manager at Worthington Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you found us too. The staff and I are pleased that you had a good stay. We look forward to seeing you next time.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed overnight here on our way out west. The rooms were clean and quiet. The hotel was easy to get to except for the road work.

Like one of the other viewers on here we failed to get a room through priceline in this area dn finally got one here on our own with the pay first rate. We were happy with the room and the staff was polite. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much the review! I've shared this with the rest of the team and we look forward to seeing you the next time you pass through town.
Marion, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

First, and most importantly, I will say that the mattress was great, and I slept better during my three nights at this hotel than I generally do at home! I had a Business King ground floor room that was spacious and had a nice lounge chair as well as a computer work chair.
Now, when I turned back the bed the first night, I found numerous long human hairs as well as a lot of dog hair. I went to the desk and requested a new set of sheets so that I could change the bed. They were cheerfully supplied, along with a promise of a reduction in rate for that night. That did not occur.
Other things that were not so great included a sink drain that was nearly clogged. I reported this upon my departure and hope that it was fixed. The bathtub drain stopper was not effective at holding water. The room was dim as one or more of the light fixtures that are generally present in a Red Roof room were not present. There was also a large cobweb, complete with spider in one of the corners at floor level as well as a considerable accumulation of dust on the desktop light.
As at numerous other motels this summer, staff seemed to have an aversion to emptying outside trash receptacles. The one by my room was full when I arrived and overflowing two days later. Instead of emptying it, staff stuff down the trash. It was getting pretty smelly by the end of my three-night stay.
This is a hotel that used to be another brand. (The old Red Roof is next door and is now a Motel 6.) The furniture is very attractive, and my room was large. The first floor has exterior corridors while the second and third floors have interior corridors.
While there were a few less-than-satisfactory elements to my visit, I would definitely give the facility another try. The price was very reasonable, and it's in a good neighborhood surrounded by other motels and eating places.
There is adequate but not abundant grass for dogs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the review. I am sorry for the issues you reported with your stay. I will share your comments with the staff and we'll ensure we correct any problems. Again, thanks for bringing these concerns to our attention. We hope to see you next time.
Poland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel is in a good location near restaurants. It was clean and a good value for an overnight stay. I woukd stay there again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandonlarson, General Manager at Worthington Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'll be sure to share your comments with the staff and we will see you on your next trip to town.
Centerburg, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

After failing a few times at getting Priceline to get us a room in the area, we started looking around and found the Red Roof Inn in Worthington. What sold us was the staff and the fact that the manager had replied to most all, if not all, of the reviews on this site. That really meant something to us.

You kind of expect that 1-2 star hotels will have their crazy bad points, but this hotel had nothing of the sort. The room itself was secure, the parking lot had ample parking, and everything was very well lit. The beds were very comfortable to sleep on and the pillows felt new. It is fairly close to the interstate, but knowing we brought an additional fan and didn't hear a single thing (the sound of the AC probably would have been enough for most people - which btw also worked very well to keep the room comfortable). Only thing that really needed to be updated was some of the caulking in the shower which had discolored a bit, but the rest of the room felt and looked clean.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, both on the phone for several requests, and at check in/out. We initially had trouble booking the room through the website (the website for whatever reason gave us one price starting from finding the room, and then part way through checkout, changed the price - the online support person we called was less than helpful), and after calling the hotel, they accommodated the original lower price (even with one room left). That is fantastic service!

If you are ever looking for a hotel in the North Columbus/Worthington area, need no extra frills/amenities and just a good solid and safe place to stay, I would definitely suggest this hotel as an option.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to get the best support for your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Worthington Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thanks for the review! I do indeed respond to each and every one of these. Feedback is very important to us. We know we do a great job providing clean, comfortable and safe rooms but there is always room for improvement. What better way to highlight areas to improve than listening to the people who stay with us? I'm glad we were able to accomodate you during your stay and we all hope to see you next time.

Been to Worthington Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!