“Great location and pretty nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown

You added DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 S. Front St., Columbus, OH 43215-4145   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA Member save 5%
Ranked #83 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Knoxville, TN
“Great location and pretty nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

We're Hilton Honors members and we've stayed at many Hilton family hotels, including a handful of Doubletrees. We were in town for one night only for an event at the Palace Theater.

The good:
1) The staff: The staff was very friendly and helpful.

2) Location: This hotel is located less than one block from the Palace Theater, so it was perfect for us.

3) Room comfort: The room temperature was easy to control, the bed was very comfortable, and the room was very large.

4) Safety: This hotel seemed to be in a very safe part of Downtown Columbus, which was a nice change from most downtown hotels that I've stayed in.

Mixed feelings:
1) Bathroom: The toilet's water pressure was mediocre at best. But, the bathroom was quite clean and had a large sink.

2) Noise level: The room was fairly quiet except for noise from the hallway. If someone was talking outside of our room door, we could hear just about everything. A loud talked woke me up around 3:00 AM (which wasn't so bad for me since I usually get up a 4:00 AM, but this would be very bad for most people).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Downtown Columbus. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I recently stayed at the Doubletree while visiting Columbus and felt very welcomed! The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty! The room was relaxing with all the comforts of home and then some! Very clean and safe! The dining room was lovely and the food was wonderful. I do not have a bad word to say about this place. Loved it, and would definitely stay there again! Thank you Doubletree! :)

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
CHARLESTON, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

This hotel experience couldnt have been more perfect. From start to finish every thing about the experience was first class! My wife, sister-in-law, and myself drove in from SC to go to the Ohio State game vs. Iowa (Go BUCKS!!!). We traveled through the night on Thursday and arrived at the hotel Friday morning before 11am and were totally exhausted. I didnt expect them to have a room ready for us, after all this was a full hour before their scheduled check-out time, but they graciously found us a room and allowed us to check-in right away! Every employee that we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful and went above and beyond our expectations. The executive housekeeper brought us a fruit tray when we checked in early because the front desk told her that we had traveled through the night...very nice touch. The breakfast buffet was great each morning, the location is unbeatable, front desk gave us great directions to park for the game, rooms were very spacious and clean, and the parking was very easy as well. It is very clear that the management at this hotel take a considerable amount of pride in working in the hospitality industry and in providing an exceptional experience for their guests.

Justin
Charleston, SC

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
St Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

This Hotel is over rated! The picture they show of the building is mirrored and the 2 large buildings in back is not part of this hotel. The picture makes you think they have a very tall building but they only have 10 floors. The large federal building is directly across the street and blocks most of the view of the river. The picture doesn't show that.
I requested a corner suite with a river view but they stuck me on the back side looking in the courtyard on the 2nd floor. Very dissapointing! Our room was missing the round table and three chairs. Housekeeping only stopped by twice of our 4 night stay. We had to go to the front desk for more towels and coffee.
If your going to drive, park at the Riffe Center next door, they only charged me $29.00 for 4 nights. Beats the hell out of paying Doubletree $80.00. It takes over 20 minutes to walk to the Convention Center. The food at the resturant was pricey and not a very large selection to choose from off the menu. There is really nothing around this hotel for fun, Most other resturants in the area you need to drive too or get a taxi. The Cosi Center across the river is full of homeless people so you dont want to go there. The front desk told us that! The City seemed safe, We walked around town after dark and had no problems, other than a few panhandlers.

The good things: Large rooms, Friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised during my first visit to this hotel in Columbus. The rooms / suites are extremely large and clean. Tthe staff members are some of the friendliess that I have come across. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

This was the last hotel I stayed at with my family on a mixed business trip. Looking at the reviews here ahead of time, I wasn't expecting much based on some of the comments, but I was pleasantly surprised and had a great stay in a very nice hotel.

The staff was excellent and went out of their way to make us feel welcome, with friendly greetings and assistance on places to see and things to do on a rainy day. We have young children and wound up taking them across the river to the COSI which was a big hit.

The rooms as some of the more recent reviews suggest are quite spacious. Not that we were in there a great length of time, but there was plenty of room for our family of four to spread out when we were there. Our stay included a free breakfast each morning which was very good as well, with the standard buffet of eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, etc.

The parking/lobby situation is a little odd and confusing if you've never stayed here before. There is what appears to be a street entrance lobby on Front St (currently under massive construction in July 2009) but it just leads to a set of elevator doors that takes you up through the parking deck (enterance around the corner on W Capitol St) and eventually to the main lobby, where you take a seperate bank of elevators to the rooms. If you are bringing a lot of baggage you may need to make an extra trip or two as I didn't see a luggage cart anywhere (but I didn't ask for one either).

Its in a great location and with the large rooms and friendly/helpful staff, I will certainly stay here again when I am traveling in or around Columbus, OH again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Western New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed here on the 9th day of a long 10-day trip with 5 teenagers/young adults. Our two spacious rooms were a never-anticipated, but much-needed relief from the cramped day of driving. The staff was very accommodating and helpful.

Entering the hotel and parking are a bit different from the norm, (you take an elevator up to the reception area while parking entrance is around the corner--there are signs to guide you), but once you make it to your room, you can relax! We had a very nice view of the River. Although we arrived much later than we hoped, my husband & I were able to do a pleasant nighttime walking tour of this well-lit city. There is a tremendous amount of history to explore here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!