“Facility minimums not met.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown

You added DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 S. Front St., Columbus, OH 43215-4145   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA Member save 5%
Ranked #83 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Johnson City, United States
“Facility minimums not met.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Comfortable temperatures and hot showers were not available in the room. Upon request to change rooms, I was denied a change. When reviewing the checkout bill, they were only concerned that I had a king sized bed in both rooms and not concerned about the temperatures or lack of hot water.I would not recommend this facility.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Christina B, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I see overall your experience with us was pretty good with a few exceptions that we can certainly work to improve upon. I've communicated these concerns with management staff, so that we can improve in these areas. Again, thanks so much for taking time to provide your feedback so that we may strive to make improvements going forward. Have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Beaver Creek, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

this hotel needs to retrain their housekeeping staff..on the day we were to check out of the hotel the maid knocked on our door at about 9:30..maid "what time u leave"..Me "probably about 20 mins"..end of conversation no "good morning" she just rudely walks away..10 mins later..knock knock..maid " I have many rooms to clean no one is leaving what time u leave"..u get the picture..please learn how to approach and speak to guests of your hotel..service throughout the hotel was spotty and the server in the restaurant reminded me that she works for tips..not appropriate..next time in Columbus we will find other accomodations

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Christina B, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet expectations and we’re actively working with our housekeeping team comfort throughout our property. We’ll keep your concerns in mind as we evaluate refresh options at our property. Thank you again, and we hope you’ll stay with us the next time your travels bring you back to the area.
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights over the Arnold Classic weekend (Feb 26-Mar 2) with my boyfriend because we were both competing in the competition. The team I am on had set up a discount with the hotel (ended up not even being a real discount AT ALL).

The entire stay was horrendous. I should have realized that the very first moment of being in contact with this hotel was a foreshadowing of what was to come...

When we pulled up at the entrance at Front St. I wasn't even sure if it was the right location because there was no real front door and the area where you would pull over and pull in to unload was completely swamped and overtaken with taxis who wouldn't move. First indication that this hotel is run poorly.

I ran inside (which meant going up an elevator to the 6th floor where the lobby actually was) and tried to check-in where the credit card that I had booked the hotel with was declined multiple times. The person checking me in told me they were "pre-charging me the full amount" (which explains why it wasn't going thru since they had already "pre-charged" an amount when I booked the hotel. So my boyfriend put part of it on his debit card and I put part on my credit card. They assured us that before we checked out that we could switch and have the end amount charged ONLY to my credit card (you NEVER want to use a debit card in this situation, but we had no other choice!). ALSO: Every other DoubleTree I've ever stayed at always has warm chocolate chip cookies ready for you when you checkin.... not this one. And they never gave them to ANYone on our team (and from what we heard, no one that was staying at the hotel got them).

So they give you a sheet of paper to hand to the person in the parking garage every time you go in and out (so they can basically charge you the $22 a day for parking)... except they didn't give us ANY instruction or direction of where said parking garage was. We accidentally entered into one that we assumed was the correct one (it was just down a ways from the front entrance and looked connected to the building).... turns out it wasn't correct. The correct garage is AROUND the corner from the front entrance and doesn't have a single sign telling you that the Doubletree garage is around the corner.... seriously.......and then came wrestling with the worst, most rickety luggage cart (and NO assistance whatsoever from staff). We had to go from the parking garage (which has it's own separate elevator) all the way up to the 9th floor (which means taking a secondary elevator). After driving for 6.5 hours this isn't exactly the most relaxing way to start a stay (and to add insult to injury it was super late at night at this point).

We finally got settled into our room, which I would say is the ONLY thing this hotel has going for it. It was huge, a two room "suite" with a giant king bed and a huge living area with a couch, work desk, table for two and big wet bar with a microwave, sink and fridge. Considering how big the bedroom and living area are you would think they would've used some of that HUGE area to make the bathrooms a little bigger. But I digress.

I was hoping that maybe the worst was behind us when it came to this hotel. NOPE. My boyfriend woke up in the morning and checked his checking account and they had double charged him. Which would most likely cause him to go negative. When he called to ask about it they asked him to come downstairs only to explain to him that they "pre-charged" him but also FULLY charged him at the same time. And that the "pre-charge" would eventually go back onto his card. Wait a minute... didn't you incompetent people tell us that we could give you the CORRECT card to charge at the VERY END OF OUR STAY????? So WHY are you charging us before the end of the stay????? Ya. Strike number..... I lost track..... There was no apology and no offer of customer service either at this point. Just AWFUL.

So we continue on this magical journey of hell to the next night. I had competed that night, I was dehydrated from my competition, exhausted. I wanted to shower and eat and go to bed. So to try and make it easy I ordered room service at 10:30pm (it's over at 11pm) thinking that I would wait for them to deliver and then hop in the shower really quick. They tell me it should be about 15-20 minutes. 11pm rolls around... still no food. I call down. They apologize and say they'll check on it and send it up. 11:20 still no food. Call again. Same response. 11:35 no food. Call again. Same response. 11:55 I am beyond angry, beyond frustrated, STARVING, exhausted and in complete disbelief at their incompetence. Not only that but during the wait I tried to log onto their wifi and I had been using my dads Hilton Honors logins to get onto it. It wasn't working so I resigned to pay the $9.99 for daily use. It STILL wasn't working so when I called down an HOUR AND A HALF AFTER I HAD ORDERED MY FOOD to tell them to cancel I also demanded they take the wifi charge off as well. There was ABSOLUTELY no apology, no offer of anything to make the situation right. NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. There as also no explanation given as to why my food never came. At that point I realized just how completely horrible this hotel was run.

The next day my boyfriend had to compete. We went thru the day. Went to the Expo afterward. All in all another long and tiring day. So that night instead of trying to order room service we decided to go TO the restaurant and sit down, HOPING maybe service would be better if we were physically there. Lord were we wrong. The single lady serving has clearly been doing this her entire life and should just quit. She takes forever to do anything (We were in the restaurant for over an hour and a half and there were only 2-3 other tables in there at any given time....). We ordered two glasses of wine, one red and one white. My boyfriend ordered Pinot Noir and I ordered Cava sparkling wine. She didn't know what I was talking about and I had to point to it on the wine list. She waddled away and came back a few minutes later and told me "THATS why I've never heard of it, we don't have it".......... Ummmmmm..... Isn't is RIGHT here on your wine list???? Fine, I'll take sauvignon blanc. The two glasses come out and my boyfriend takes a sip and looked like he was going to keel over. I thought he was just being overly dramatic so I sipped it and immediately gagged. It was vinegary and disgusting like it'd been sitting open for MONTHS. We told her about it and she offered to "get a fresh glass" however my boyfriend declined. When she came back a little bit later she goes "well that's why it tasted weird, I put in Pinot Noir but they poured Merlot Cabernet!!"....................... cue the crickets. It was so ridiculous at this point my boyfriend and I could only LAUGH at how horrible this service was (and now fully understood why I never got my food the night before). So we both order burgers with sweet potato fries. I was expecting to get extra charred burgers (not the medium and medium well we ordered). Surprisingly they were cooked right, however you could tell they were just frozen patties that weren't fresh at all. Oh AND NO SWEET POTATO FRIES.... surprise surprise. When we pointed this out to our magical waitress she tells us the same story of how she definitely entered in sweet potato fries and yet they put regular fries on the plate. I don't think so sister..... you're clearly entering things in wrong. I should also mention that she was eating popcorn and talking with her mouth full as she was walking around the restaurant serving people. Classy. We FINALLY finished and paid and got the HECK out of there vowing never to order food from restaurant EVER again.

And then of course the end to our trip involved dealing with the credit card/debit card debacle and the fact that they charged my boyfriends debit card after we distinctly told them NOT to. And their best way to deal with it was to say "to be honest to avoid any other hassle at this point you should just leave it how it is and you (me) should just give him cash for it"........ oh jee thanks for the advice, but this is YOUR mess that you created. At that point I just wanted to get the heck out of there and as far away from that hotel as I could possibly get.

Do yourself a favor and stay far...... FAR away from this hotel. It is run by the most incompetent, uncustomer service people I have EVER met.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at our property. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you and your boyfriend experienced as our goal is always to provide the best experience possible. We've addressed the dining issues with the appropriate teams in order to improve in this area. Thanks so much for taking time to provide your feedback so that we may strive to make improvements going forward.
Toledo, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great location but the hotel is just OK at best. The elevators do not work. Took 20 mins to get from hotel to parking garage. Room service is expensive and the food is terrible. The carpet in the room was so filthy it turned my socks black. Next time I am in Columbus I will stay somewhere else!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guest room appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Your comments regarding your dining experience will be shared with the appropriate team to ensure we are improving that area as well. Thank you again.
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I made my reservation 6 months in advance, I ask for high floor and view, was told no problem, when I checked in, I as if I was on a high floor with view was told it was city view, when I got to room it was looking at the back of building. Mgr said it was more $ for view, surprise! I was never told that. Between rudeness and prices going up everywhere, not sure I will ever stay here again, manager is rude! I am an honors reward customer on top of it!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations.We will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve the training of our staff.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.
Dallas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Except for the weather, which the staff couldn't control, the staff was extremely courteous, professional, and warming. All of our needs were met, and the staff had great recommendations for various dining establishments in the area. I fully recommend this hotel to anyone traveling for business or personal reasons.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm happy to see that you really enjoyed all of our accommodations as well as our staff! We strive very hard to provide exceptional service for our guests. Thanks again for taking time to review your stay.
Canton, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel was under some construction, the elevators were so slow, and my breakfast that I had ordered the night before was so late that I had to call down and remind them. The hallways were super hot and while the room was spacious, it was a little run down. The attached parking garage was very helpful as most other hotels have valet parking.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is a valuable component in monitoring our success and identifying areas that need improvement.
I am confident that given the opportunity, your next stay with us will be a more pleasant one. Have a wonderful day!

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!