“Location And Service Above & Beyond” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown

You added DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 S. Front St., Columbus, OH 43215-4145   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA Member save 5%
Ranked #77 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Jacksonville, Florida
“Location And Service Above & Beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My decision to stay at this hotel was based on the fact that it is located within walking distance of and very close to the Palace Theater in downtown Columbus. I needed the proximity because I was there for a special event and didn't want to travel any distance from a hotel to the theater. From check-in to check-out I was happy with the room and service. The rooms were clean, the amenities were nice (comfortable bed, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee service, bar sink). One improvement I would suggest is, perhaps, an air freshener. There is internet/wifi, which I didn't use so I can't comment on the quality. The suite I stayed in was huge, with a large separate seating area, bedroom, dressing area, and bath. I could look out the windows to views of the Scioto River, a bridge crossing it and the expanse of downtown office buildings feathering to its suburban outskirts. I didn't find the room condition objectionable, as some other reviewers did. My room was fine. It looks as though there are plenty of places to walk, jog, exercise etc. if that's your thing. The location felt safe and well-lit. There are also some convenient, quick eateries/take-aways nearby for snacks, breakfast, lunch. The hotel has a restaurant on the premises, which I didn't try. For being in a downtown location I thought it was very quiet. I was there on a weekday. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and attentive, as were all the hotel associates. When I checked out I had a special request and the front desk fulfilled it with a gracious attitude, going above and beyond my expectation. There is onsite self-parking which comes at a price, but not any more expensive than I would expect at most downtown business hotels in any given city. It was convenient, with unlimited entry/exits during my stay. Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: King suite with river view is nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Double Tree Columbus had some of the largest rooms I have been in. Since it is an all suite hotel, the standard size is very large - the amenities and overall property is rather tired though. The room furnishings are dated and the mattress left much to be desired. Even the front door to the rooms are tired, the locks did not work properly and the doors don't close very easily. One of the groups I was traveling with had the door handle fall off from the inside of their room. They were locked in for a few minutes until a maintenance staff person came to repair the door. They were timely in their response, but it is an indication of how worn the building is.

If traveling with a large group or family, the sofa bed in the living room is a decent option and there is plenty of room to spread out. I believe the hotel is upgrading the property but it didn't seem to be anything large scale yet so I am not sure how they have chosen which rooms to remodel.

The lobby restaurant was inconsistent. As a HHonors member, my status provided the complimentary breakfast buffet. The first day the staff was closing the buffet early, so we were allowed to order a la carte. The breakfast was very tasty and I found it very generous of the staff to accommodate us, the breakfast was served hot and fresh and was of good quality. The other mornings, however, we had the regular buffet and it left much to be desired. The eggs had an odd flavor and the rest of the buffet was just tired - not fresh and was mostly flavorless. The last day we just went down for some juice and toast - we went around the corner to get a decent coffee at Starbucks and had an early lunch since the buffet was unimpressive.

The staff in the hotel was mostly friendly and helpful. I would like to see this property have a major renovation, I think it has so much potential - huge rooms, great location by the water and some of the rooms have great views. In its current state though, I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone - especially since there seem to be other Hilton family hotels nearby that look much more up to date. If you are simply looking for space and you have a great rate, then give the hotel a try and ask if they have any updated rooms - otherwise, it is fair to say you have been warned.

If I had to return to Columbus, I would try another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view of the river. Side note, the walls are rather thin so make sure you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Clayton N, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was delighted to read from your review that you found our rooms to be large and that our staff was friendly and helpful. I do however understand that you found our property to be somewhat dated. I am so sorry that you found our amenities to be rather tired as well as the mattress in your room. I truly regret if you were disappointed in any way and sincerely apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We strive on providing our guests with an exceptional stay and I apologize if we did not deliver this for you. As far as the property goes, you might be glad to hear that we're re-working our hotel into a more modern facility. We'll be happy to welcome you back with just such a room, and we look forward to surprising you with a fresh, clean look.

Again, I thank you for your review and assure you that your feedback has been taken into consideration. I sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us next time you’re in town.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

After reading the reviews about this hotel, I was dreading my stay! But I was so pleasantly surprised! The price was great, it's location is perfect and convenient, the staff was polite, personable and friendly, the room was so big and in my opinion "fancy", the view was spectacular, it was clean, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. I felt safe and enjoyed my stay very much.

I was blown away because it is not what I was expecting from the reviews on this site. This hotel is great and Columbus is a very nice, welcoming city.

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Natick, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel was conveniently located in downtown closer to office and restaurants. Also close by is the Scioto river which is a good place for a morning/evening jog or a walk. The surrounding area is calm despite being in Downtown. The rooms were ok, the shower/tub could have been better. The beds were clean and furniture was spick and span. There were also a refrigerator, a microwave and a dining table which was nice( I had asked for it earlier)
Fitness center was good and had all the equipments in working order.
It was a comfortable stay. The only thing I would mention is that the internet speed was terrible. I just could not do anything with my computing device as the speed sucked. Was not happy only because of the internet (or the lack of it)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location... but they need to update the rooms some. I've stayed there before, but for some reason things looked much more worn this time. I usually like Doubletree hotels, but this one needs a little TLC.

• Stayed March 2013
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for one night when we drove up to Columbus to see a show at the Riffe Center Theater Complex. I was hesitant to stay here because of the bad reviews, but it was so close to the venue that I decided to risk it. We ended up getting caught in a snow storm and we were running very late for the show by the time we got to the hotel. I knew that the Riffe Center was just a short walk around the block from the hotel, so we parked in the parking garage and went in the hotel just to check-in before we ran to the show. The girl checking us in was very nice and she asked us what our plans were during our stay. I told her we were late for a show at the Riffe Center, and I asked her which exit would get us there the quickest. Instead of pointing to a door and brushing us off (which is what I expected), she walked us to a closed set of doors, all the way down a hallway, and to an elevator. She told us to get out at a certain floor, walk through the parking garage, and go through a set of glass doors that would lead directly into the Riffe Center. Thanks to her, we got to the show before the lights went out in the theater.
And after the show, when we went up to our room, I was VERY pleased to see how clean it was and how pretty our view of the river was. Sure, the furnishings may have looked outdated in style, and there was a crack in the marble in the bathroom, but the place was very clean, they had 2 nice big flatscreen tvs, and the bed was very CLEAN and comfortable. And when I say the bed was clean, I mean it. I stripped it all the way down to the bare mattress - not even one stain. And certainly no bed bugs - which is what I was looking for.
The hotel is a little pricey, but I would definitely stay here again. It is in a great location, it's clean, it offers a nice view, and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are HUGE but in severe need of a sprucing up.

I find it kind of silly that this hotel didn't have a gym onsite and that you had to use the club in the attached building. The club has terribly inconvenient hours. It's not that difficult, just take one of the huge rooms you have and buy a few treadmills, an elliptical and some free weights. BOOM, you have a gym... I mean, really...

Also, what is up with not having an informational book in the rooms? It forces the guest to have to ask the front desk all of your questions and they are not exactly the most courteous front desk staff. They kind of treat you like you are a moron for wanting to know the hours of the gym and where it is located.

Also, and this is my biggest tip, train your front desk staff NEVER to ask a guest if she is pregnant. I recently lost 80 pounds and upon checking out, the front desk clerk said, "oh how exciting, you're expecting!" When I looked shocked and told her that no I wasn't expecting and that I had never actually been asked that before, please also inform your front desk that the correct response to that is not to be shocked and say "REALLY?!?" Just leaves a really bad taste in the guest's mouth upon their departure and they will be SURE to tell everyone about it.

So, just train your front desk how to talk to people, update your rooms and get an internal gym. Then you will be a great hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!