“Great manager” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Wheaton, Illinois
“Great manager”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

As most of the breakfast offerings involved gluten, I checked with the manager (who was in the breakfast area almost continuously making sure everything was in order) to see if the eggs were gluten free. He said that he could not guarantee that they were, but if I didn't mind waiting, he could get some scrambled eggs that he knew were not cooked with gluten. He actually ran to the breakfast restaurant next door and brought back gluten-free scrambled eggs and sausages. I was very impressed and appreciative. The room was clean and modern, and although a former reviewer did not like the mattress or the towels, we had no problem with them. We also did not realize that a train ran by until we looked out of the window in the morning. Nice hotel. If you are gluten-free, call ahead and let the manager know.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Karibu,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU. It’s great to hear that our service and accommodations exceeded your expectations and made for an enjoyable stay. We strive daily to provide an exceptional experience for each guest. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Al Schreiber, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of its central proximity to several Columbus venues. We found the hotel to be clean, service was very timely, and the staff extremely friendly. Our room was very clean and provided plenty of space for our 5 visitors.

Our only complaint would be the lack of fans in the bathrooms. The sliding doors provide viewing privacy however you can hear everything taking place on the other side of the door. This can be uncomfortable when sharing a room with friends.

Overall, our stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
SStrat,
Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience with us at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU. It’s great to know our central location to Columbus venues met your satisfaction and you found our accommodations clean and spacious during your stay. We appreciate your feedback on both positive and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We’re happy to inform you that our bathrooms are equipped with exhaust fans, however, they do not produce a sound while in use. I’m glad you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us, and we do hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed here when we went to visit my sister at OSU. One of the main reasons we picked this hotel was because it was very close to my sister's apartment. When we looked at pictures online, we were impressed and looking forward to our stay. We arrived on a Friday during rush hour, and getting into the hotel was a bit of a pain (if turning left into the hotel), but once we got inside, all went well. Check-in was smooth, and the gentleman checking us in was very pleasant.
We got a room on the ground floor, (later that night I wish I would've asked for the top floor) and the room was clean and very nice. I really like the layout of the rooms. The only thing I will complain about is the bathroom door(s). They do not block light very well. I had read reviews that people complained about being able to actually see figures on the other side of the door, but that doesn't seem to be an issue any more, but they block out very little light and sound. Luckily it was just my daughter and I staying, because my husband has a tendency to get up very early and that would have definitely woke me up. And it's very uncomfortable to use the restroom with visitors, they can hear everything! But, they're pretty.
I was awoken around 11pm on our first night by the air conditioner making funny noises, but that didn't bother me too much. What really bothered me was the jumping around I could hear above us. It sounded like someone doing flips/jumps/leaps until at least 2 in the morning. I know, I should have called the front desk, but I just sucked it up and went back to sleep.
Overall, the stay was very pleasant. Breakfast is your usual free hotel fare - waffles, fruit, bagels, muffins, etc. Before arriving, I looked on Tripadvisor and one of the most recent reviews mentioned seeing a bug in the room. I thought, no big deal. Until our last morning. I was sitting eating our breakfast (in the room, too busy in the breakfast area) and out of the corner of my eye I see this big black bug walking by my foot. Ick. It just creeped me out, and made me lose my appetite. Soon after that, we went to go check out. This time, there were two people working behind the counter, and a couple in front of us asking about the area. I understand helping guests, but I stood there five minutes while both of the employees chit-chatted away. I kept my calm and waited my turn, but it really bothered me. When it was finally my turn, I told the gentleman I was checking out. He asked if I got my invoice under my door, and I did, but they leave them sticking outside the door (that really needs to change for the safety and privacy of your guests). That was the extent of our conversation. He did not ask me if everything was okay with our stay, because I would have mentioned the bug and the noise. Oh well, here I am telling the Tripadvisor world.
The trains aren't really that noisy IMO, but I do live in a town with over 100 trains (bells, whistles, and all) that drive through constantly, so I'm used to that and appreciated how quiet these trains were! LOL.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
jaimieb822,
Thank you for writing a review. It’s great to receive your kind comments about our friendly staff, clean accommodations, and spacious layout of our rooms. We always appreciate our guests taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback both positive and opportunities for improvement. I sincerely apologize for the noisy disturbances encountered during your visit, as well as the bug you saw on your last day. Please know we take any issues of pests seriously and have addressed your comments with our team inorder to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you travel to Columbus.

TORONTO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We enjoyed staying with our sister at this hotel; staff was very friendly and helpful.
The rooms were clean and they were very accommodating for our requests for extra towels, etc.

The only downfall is that we wanted a cot which did not seem to be available. The breakfast is good and my son enjoyed using the wafflemaker; even though he was disappointed it was not available on Monday (appears to be weekend only)

Room Tip: Have your room opposite the side with the train tracks as it gets noisy at times
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
JAMAICANToronto,
We’re happy to hear from you, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU. I’m pleased to know you found our clean accommodations and helpful staff to meet your expectations. We apologize for your disappointment in not being able to fulfill your cot request. Since every guest room includes a pull-out sofa bed, the space limitations restricts us from offering cots as well. We value you as our guest and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here one weeknight before an OSU Tour. Check-In was fast, efficient, accommodating and friendly honoring our request of a high floor (4th floor is highest) on a quieter side of the hotel. (The front of the hotel is actually more quiet as a train runs behind the hotel.) The lobby was clean and modern. Staff super. The rooms were spacious, modern and clean. No complaints on noise here but for a new hotel while the bed linens were great the mattress was soft & lumpy (no heavenly bed here) & the towels were thin & cheap. The complimentary breakfast in the lobby looked great (we passed) but it was crowded & seating limited at the 8am time we were there for coffee. Free wifi was a bonus. All in all this hotel is just minutes from OSU and very clean & modern & friendly. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Top floor (4) on front side of hotel.
CompassionMomma,
Thank you your review and kind comments about our great hotel and wonderful staff. We’re happy to have had you as our guest while visiting OSU, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is important to us so we appreciate hearing from you. We look forward to seeing you on your return visit with us at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU.

Kind regards,
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here with my family for a softball tournament. The staff was very friendly and competent. The rooms were large, bright and very clean. Location was great. Very close to the OSU campus. Would be a great place to stay for a football game.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
FamilyTravels09,
We appreciate you and your family staying with us at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU while in town for a softball tournament. We’re glad you enjoyed our great location, friendly staff, as well as our clean and spacious accommodations during your visit. Please plan to visit us again for another family trip or an upcoming OSU football game. Thank you once again for writing.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We usually stay in pretty high end hotels but we wanted to be really close to the house of some friends we were visiting and opted for this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised!! We've never stayed at Springhill properties before but I would return to this one and consider others if I had too.

We liked the layout of the room with the separate water closet and separate shower room and sink. The room was really modern even though the sofa was sort of low end looking it provided plenty of comfort and room for us to relax. I sat at the desk a lot while we were there and it was well appointed and laid out. The bed and pillows were just AWFUL!!! We were there for 4 nights and every morning we woke up saying we had slept horribly and that the bed was like a bumpy rack and pillows just flattened the minute your head hit them! But other than that the accommodations were good.

My partner ate in the breakfast area (I did not). He said it was decent but the food didn't look anything like the pictures that were in the elevators or in the pictures we saw online. But he enjoyed getting up and reading the paper and sat there for 90 minutes or so each morning having his coffee. So not a big deal overall. There was a Bob Evans right next door so I always wanted to eat there!

The staff was really nice and always were around to help if we needed anything. I requested extra towels a couple of times during our stay and they brought them up very quickly each time I asked for them.

Overall I would stay there again but we would hope the beds would be more comfortable than the king sized bed we were in during this stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the railroad tracks! We were right along the tracks and heard the rumbl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
scottyhouston,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU. I’m pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations with our spacious accommodations and friendly staff. We appreciate your feedback on opportunities for improvement and apologize for the areas that we fell short of meeting your expectations. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Al Schreiber, General Manager

Been to SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU? Share your experiences!