“A gritty Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #66 of 1,873 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Hot Dogs
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: It's listed on Google Maps.
“A gritty Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Wife and I visited this little hole in the wall just off of E. Main and were not disappointed. From the mismatched tables and chairs to the delaminating menus to the 5 or so tables besides the counter, it was the type of place I remember after a concert or ball game in my beloved STL. Only this was in Columbus, OH on a drive thru. This is a mecca for such places esp. If you are traveling the world in search of the perfect hot dog places. We sat next to the Dali Lama, so this may be it...

Visited June 2014

Toledo, Ohio
“OK but really not worth the wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We went there because we like hot dogs and always try to find new sources. Saw several reviews that highly recommended this place and warned about the wait. Usually I don't like to wait but I was prepared for it this time. The only problem, this place is not any better than Sonic as far as the hot dogs are concerned. Not that that is a bad thing but is is not worth the wait when you can get a car hop on roller skates bring you your meal (although you can't get a beer at Sonic).

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“hometown favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I'm torn between wanting visitors to love Columbus and not wanting longer waits at Dirty Franks. Dirty Franks is a great representative of our quirky little midwestern city. The food is not mindblowing--hot dogs with lots of different toppings--but it's tasty and a great deal of fun. Lots of great choices, including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. there are so many good combinations on the menu it's difficult to choose, the service is friendly, and the beer list is well-chosen. For a really fun night in Columbus, get your dogs here and stop by 16-bit next door for some retro gaming.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Did not live up to the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Dined here Sunday night with friends. The restaurant is super small and crowded. The menus look like they have been through a war. The tables were not very clean. Our waiter, who was also the bartender, was surly (and that is being nice.) The restaurant has the atmosphere of a run down sports bar, and yet, although the World Cup pregame was on their TV's when we entered, they changed it to the local news just when the USA v Portugal game was to begin. At the table next to us was a screaming child that no one at the table made any attempt to quiet, and sure enough, the brat got other children in the place making noise as well. As for the food? It was adequate. The hot dogs are fine, but nothing you can't get at any good Coney place. The toppings seem unlimited, until you realize that the various listings are simply different combinations of the same 24 ingredients. The tater tots were fine, but the french fries were WAY too salty and the onion rings were WAY too greasy. The mac n' cheese was nothing to write home about. And the vegan brownies are very tasty, I think, but I'm not sure considering how incredibly small they are. A bite and a half, seriously.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“My Favorite Guilty Pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have been a fan of Dirty Franks for many years and have had dogs at both of their locations. I just took my nephew last week and he loved the place so much that he was asking to come back the next week before we left the place. I try to have something different every time I am there but I love the Ohioana dog, Seoul dog and Fire on The Rhine. I love all the spicy toppings. I also love the slushies with hot sauce. I love that they make something so simple as a hotdog, fun and fancy. These dogs are also just really good. A place that takes one of my favorite past times of hot dogs and tater-tots and dresses it all up to feel more adult, is alright with me. It is also a cheap meal. The ambiance is laid back yet colorful. It is pretty much a bar atmosphere but children are welcomed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food