“hometown favorite” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 1,972 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: It's listed on Google Maps.
Columbus, Ohio
“hometown favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I'm torn between wanting visitors to love Columbus and not wanting longer waits at Dirty Franks. Dirty Franks is a great representative of our quirky little midwestern city. The food is not mindblowing--hot dogs with lots of different toppings--but it's tasty and a great deal of fun. Lots of great choices, including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. there are so many good combinations on the menu it's difficult to choose, the service is friendly, and the beer list is well-chosen. For a really fun night in Columbus, get your dogs here and stop by 16-bit next door for some retro gaming.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Did not live up to the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Dined here Sunday night with friends. The restaurant is super small and crowded. The menus look like they have been through a war. The tables were not very clean. Our waiter, who was also the bartender, was surly (and that is being nice.) The restaurant has the atmosphere of a run down sports bar, and yet, although the World Cup pregame was on their TV's when we entered, they changed it to the local news just when the USA v Portugal game was to begin. At the table next to us was a screaming child that no one at the table made any attempt to quiet, and sure enough, the brat got other children in the place making noise as well. As for the food? It was adequate. The hot dogs are fine, but nothing you can't get at any good Coney place. The toppings seem unlimited, until you realize that the various listings are simply different combinations of the same 24 ingredients. The tater tots were fine, but the french fries were WAY too salty and the onion rings were WAY too greasy. The mac n' cheese was nothing to write home about. And the vegan brownies are very tasty, I think, but I'm not sure considering how incredibly small they are. A bite and a half, seriously.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“My Favorite Guilty Pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have been a fan of Dirty Franks for many years and have had dogs at both of their locations. I just took my nephew last week and he loved the place so much that he was asking to come back the next week before we left the place. I try to have something different every time I am there but I love the Ohioana dog, Seoul dog and Fire on The Rhine. I love all the spicy toppings. I also love the slushies with hot sauce. I love that they make something so simple as a hotdog, fun and fancy. These dogs are also just really good. A place that takes one of my favorite past times of hot dogs and tater-tots and dresses it all up to feel more adult, is alright with me. It is also a cheap meal. The ambiance is laid back yet colorful. It is pretty much a bar atmosphere but children are welcomed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great hot dogs, would recommend to others!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I am very grateful that this restaurant exists - I was at a conference a few blocks away and most of the other dining options in the area close early or over-charge you. Dirty Frank's is different - the staff was very friendly and helpful, the food was delicious, and it was great value for the price. I liked it so much that I went back twice! I would highly recommend this place if you like hot dogs or are in the area and want evidence that not all of downtown Columbus closes at 6 pm.

Visited June 2014
Painesville, Ohio
“Stupid good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Well I'm glad I don't love closer to this establishment as I'm sure if be grossly over-weight. I had the "puff the magic popper" and it was phenomenal. Jalapeños were fresh and crisp. The cheese fries were mouthwatering, made from fresh cut fries. Great decor, great staff. Will definitely stop by next time we're in Columbus!