“Think you have correct reservations? Not really.....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3045 Olentangy River Rd, Columbus, OH 43202   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati
“Think you have correct reservations? Not really.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

You may want to avoid this hotel simply because what you've reserved on Holiday Inn's site may not be what you get. As a Platinum Club member, I booked a double bed room at this location two weeks prior to my arrival. Upon arrival, I was told I had a king bed and that there were no other rooms. Not usually a problem, but I was with my 15 year old daughter at her volleyball tournament. No sofa bed in the room. The manager was nice enough to tell me he'd bring up a roll away bed....for $15 a night. Absolutely ridiculous customer service.

Room Tip: Find a hotel elsewhere. If you have to stay here, stay away from any room ending in 08-15 as these...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressOSU, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, February 4, 2013

I do however regret that we were unable to meet your expectations with the room type that you requested. I also regret to say that it dissatisfies me to know that you were inconvenienced with the accomidations. For future reference, please note that a request is just that, a request. We do our best to honor all requests that have been made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel was convenient because we were attending for a graduation at the center nearby. Its a typical Holiday Inn Express hotel with decent but maybe not overly spacious rooms. Not many great options for meals nearby though it a decent hotel for the prices.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Washington Court House, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This HIE makes for great accommodations close to The Ohio State University at a reasonable price. Fairly new hotel. Spacious rooms that are clean with comfy bed. Modern big lobby. Free breakfast. Staff at front desk was nice. Our room was upgraded due to being a priority member.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for only one night, but were very impressed. It was absolutely spotless. The staff was friendly and helpful, and gave us drinks and snacks at check-in. There was a nice selection of cold and hot food at breakfast. The only negative thing I could possibly find was the bathroom lighting - it was elegant, but not bright enough for make-up and shaving. We will definitely stay here again when in Columbus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Royal Oak, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here on OSU v. Michigan weekend. We are from Michigan and were treated terribly! The staff was fine, but the management needs an attitude check, big time. They were rude, and even a bit cheeky.

What's worse is that we paid about $199 a night, which is understandable because it's a home game weekend, however, the beds were very uncomfortable. The place is new, but the beds feel like they're from the 1950s.

I would never stay here again - and advise you to find another hotel in the OSU area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressOSU, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Berica26,

I wanted to take the time to express my sincere apologies for your experience with us. I do appreciate the time you took to write a review about your stay; however is dissatisfies me to know that it wasn't a pleasant experience for you.

We do take comments such as these very seriously. With that being said, I would love to hear more about you experience with us and in turn make it right for you. Please contact me at angie.coe@sintelhotels.com
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Our organization recently held training at OSU and the Holiday Inn was a perfect choice for our members. The staff bent over backwards from day one to win our commitment to their hotel. The location, new hotel, and most importantly the staff made this an easy choice. We had more than 40 people staying at the hotel and there was not one complaint. In the future we will continue to use this hotel as our host hotel for any trainings in the Columbus Area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for an OSU game. Hotel was built in last 5 years, and is very new in appearance and smell. The staff was very friendly and often greeted you as you walked through the halls. Best looking hotel in the area, with many restaurant (fast and sit-down) nearby. Workout facility was clean and had enough equipment for a quick workout. The pool/hot tub were very relaxing and quiet. The rooms were very clean, and well taken care of. I am Platinum with Priority Club and was give a free bottle of water and snack upon check-in, which is all I really expected for a Holiday Inn Express (sometimes I get nothing at Holiday Inn Expresses).

Breakfast had a good array for a morning after partying. My only concern here was the eggs were watery and cold, and the attendant told me that was because I came down to eat at 9:15am, and the buffet closed at 9:30am. They apparently did not want to refill the eggs or keep them warm since it was the last fifteen minutes. CHEAP.

My only other concern with this hotel was the fact that when I booked, the front desk person told me that they had a shuttle on-site, which I assumed would be good to get to the OSU game. They failed to tell me that they don't run the shuttle on game days. When I told the front desk (day of the game), that I needed a shuttle, they said we don't run those on game days, but I can call you a cab or you can walk (15 minute walk or about 2 miles). I asked why they didn't run the shuttle, and he said because it would take too long to get there and back. It is only 2 miles down the road so gimme a break. I asked the front desk attendant to speak with a manager, as I wanted to be compensated for the taxi ride because I was lied too, since I was getting less services, and I was told they are not available right now, even though one was sitting in their back office with the door wide open. I felt really neglected and that they didn't care that a Platinum member decided to stay there, and was being told indirectly "don't come back to this hotel because the managers don't care about you." Also came across CHEAP to me about the hotel management, after they double their nightly rate for home game weekends. I just don't understand how hotel management could be this CHEAP, and not only make me pay $225 per night to stay there, but then take away amenities that come with the hotel under the normal room rate, and make me pay an additional $15 each way in a taxi. Varsity hotel across the street offered shuttles the whole time.

All in all, this property is a good hotel, but not for game weekends, as they under-staff their shuttle service, and skimp on the breakfast buffet. As a platinum priority club member I expect a higher nightly rate to mean a better hotel with more services, not less. Not sure if I will ever stay at this location again as a result.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnExpressOSU, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a detailed review. I really appreciate your feedback and we take comments both good and bad very seriously. I’m very pleased to hear that you appreciated the appearance and aroma of our hotel. We put a lot of effort into our cleanliness here and hearing that a guest appreciates that makes the effort well worth it. I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of both our workout facility and our relaxing Spa/Pool area while you stayed with us.

I do however regret that we were unable to meet your expectations with our breakfast service. I also regret to say that it dissatisfies me to know that you were inconvenienced with our shuttle service due to a misunderstanding. For future reference, please note that our shuttle is an amenity that we gladly provide, so long as it’s booked in advance, and it’s not on a weekend or a big event such as a game day. We have this policy in place because of the traffic that is caused during these times that would prevent our driver’s ability to provide this amenity to every guest who requests it, and we just want to be fair. I hope you can understand our reasoning, and I apologize it was not stated to you when your reservation was made. We are still a growing hotel and we hope to improve our shuttle service as we continue on.

Also, as a Platinum member I do appreciate your loyalty to our brand, and I would love the opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel here at the Holiday Inn – OSU area. If your travels should bring you back to Columbus, Ohio I ask that you allow us a second chance to make up for your last stay. It would be an honor to serve you again.

Jackie Diop
Sales Coordinator

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU

Address: 3045 Olentangy River Rd, Columbus, OH 43202
Location: United States > Ohio > Columbus
#22 Family Hotel in Columbus
#23 Business Hotel in Columbus
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU 2.5*
Enjoy the Holiday Inn Express & Suites located right outside of downtown Columbus, in the heart of the Ohio State University! This is an upscale luxurious hotel with every amenity you can think of. We offer a free extended hot breakfast as well. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Columbus University Area - Osu
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU Ohio

If you own or manage Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.