“what a great place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
manlius NY
“what a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I found out about Thai Lagoon from trip advisor and with some diifficluty we found the restaurant during a recent visit to Columbus. We were also the only people there early one Friday evening but our three dishes were excellent, tasty, good sized portions and resonable prices. they are moving to a new location in a Best Western . will try to find them when we return to columbus!

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Authentic, great flavors, DEFINITELY coming back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

What a hidden gem!

Thai Lagoon is a tiny Thai restaurant tucked away on the first floor of the Quality Inn Hotel. My husband and I were searching for a good Thai place, as we love Thai food, and after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, UrbanSpoon, and Yelp, we decided to try Thai Lagoon.

WOW! We were the only customers during a late lunch hour on Saturday, but I firmly believe that if they were located on a main downtown road (instead of a sleepy little hotel across from the Budweiser Factory), they'd be packed with a wait time. The inside decor is beautiful - tropical plants, Thai silks, candles on the tables... The waiter was one of the most polite and pleasant servers we have ever encountered.

We decided to try the Pad Thai, as so many reviewers raved about it, and the Pad See Ew, a great flat-noodle dish with sweetened soy sauce and stir fried broccoli/vegetables. In addition, as we were starving, we ordered the vegetable tempura for appetizers.

The fried vegetables were piping hot and covered with a crispy thin batter - different than a Japanese tempura, but just as yummy. They served this with an assortment of sauces (the traditional sweet pickled cucumber sauce, a sweet/sour sauce, hot mustard, and chili oil). The plate was enough for 2-3 and had an assortment of freshly cut vegetables - red onion, broccoli, green beans, carrot, and button mushrooms.

The main entrees, which we ordered on a spicy scale of 1-5 (3 medium was a good spice; 5 was too hot for me, but hubby loved it), were DELICIOUS. Generous portions, piping hot, fresh vegetables, and perfectly cooked noodles... If you like Thai food, you'll LOVE this place. If you've never had Thai food but like stir fry sauces, you're bound to enjoy this Thai experience. It puts a chain restaurant, such as Tara Thai, and many other places to shame! We only wish we had a restaurant like this in our home city!

To finish up the meal, we had the traditional Thai dessert - coconut sticky rice with a special pudding and a slice of fresh, perfectly ripened mango. This was definitely one of the best preparations of the dessert we have ever had.

Prices were reasonable, especially when you factor in the quality of the cooking and the generous portions. They were able to make most dishes vegetarian friendly by substituting fried egg or tofu instead of meats. We can't wait to come back!

• Visited August 2011
Columbus, Ohio
“So Good I Had it Two Nights in a Row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This was my first Thai food experience!! The servers are so very friendly and helpful. The food is FANTASTIC!!! The Pad Thai with chicken is so so so good. I know longer want even want Chinese Lo Mein. The spices are just so much better with Thai food. But my FAVORITE on the menu is the Tom Kha Soup with Chicken. Absolutely the best soup I have ever had. The flavors are fantastic and the portion is perfect. I have nothing bad to say about the restaurant ... However, GETTING to the restaurant isn't great. It's inside the Quality Inn which is not only gross on the outside, but it's the same way on the inside. It's dirty and both nights the men at the front desk were about as friendly as clipped toenails. BUT THAT IS NOT A REFLECTION OF THE RESTAURANT! So please give it a try and you'll absolutely love it!

• Visited August 2011
Bangalore, India
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I've been staying in Columbus for over 10 years but I only found out about this restaurant through a Groupon deal 6 months ago. Since our first visit, we've been to this place 3 more times and have never been disappointed. The restaurant location is a little off the usual path (it is actually inside a Comfort Inn hotel on Schrock Rd, quite close to the I71 and 161 intersection). But once inside, their warm and wonderful ambience makes you quickly forget the outside. They have a pretty impresssive bar and drink selection. The service is very friendly and prompt. Most importantly, the food is great. I've tried several different soups, appetizers and Thai curries and have never ended up disappointed. The Masamun curry is my favorite - they also serve a delicious Vegetarian spring roll. With most entrees priced around 10 to 12 dollars, the prices are very reasonable. All in all, I would highly recommend Thai Lagoon.

• Visited June 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Little Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

This was my first experience at the Thai Lagoon and I couldn't be more impressed. From the food to the service, everything was outstanding. I had the vegetable soup and a spring roll to start followed by the Pad See Ew. Plentiful portions, tasteful ingredients and the price was right. I never felt rushed and the service was great. They were very happy people and were happy to chat. I was surprised to find it attached to the Quality Inn hotel and a little off the beaten path but I highly recommend it..Enjoy!!