“never staying at Super 8 again” 2 of 5 stars

Super 8 Motel Columbus
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1078 East Dublin-Granville Road, Columbus, OH 43229   |
Ranked #123 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Stow
“never staying at Super 8 again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went down to Columbus to celebrate my Birthday. After a long day at the zoo and an awesome dinner we checked into the Super 8. When we got there the first thing we noticed was the neighborhood, its not so good. In the lobby the clerk would barely talk to me. He was not loving life at all and seemed determined to being me down too. So I got my room key and we made our way to the non-smoking room we reserved. The building, hallway and room all smelled like smoke. Not only did the room smell, it was filthy. we had to throw away the socks we wore there. The carpet was actually sticky it was so dirty. The bed spread was stained and the toilet was barely held together. After the shower which was clean enough we settled into bed. Then around 1am the fire alarm started to go off. We exited the building and I tried to get some answer from the front desk clerk. He didnt even say a word he just waved me off. We waited outside for about 40 minutes the firemen let us back in. I asked the fireman holding the door what happened and he had no idea. Fed up with the dirty facilities and angry about being woken up so we checked out and left. Again the clerk didnt say much to me, he just mumbled something about it taking two hours to print the receipt and asked me to call back the next day. We stopped to get gas and when circling back to go to the highway we saw the fire trucks were back and everyone was outside again. We ended getting home around 4am and went right to bed. When I woke up I tried calling the hotel to get my receipt faxed to me, there was no answer at all, I tried calling for the next 30 minutes. I called the corporate office to share my feedback and try to get a receipt. They have decided to issue me a refund. The only reason they are not getting the "Terrible" rating is the wifi and the TV did work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Milford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you have a non smoking room or not. Guests gather and smoke in hallways. We had 3 adult males playing a dice game in hallway after 1am. Another man was in parking lot walking around with his own boombox and having a parking lot party with others at 1130pm. Free breakfast was actually in an empty motel room in the motel. My five year old found a large screw on top of his bed. When bringing luggage in...I had to pick up a large piece of scrap metal in parking lot. Didnt want anyone to get a flat. The huge stains on carpets were questionable. Cracked tile floor in bathroom interesting. Check out room 136 for any doubts. This stay was well documented by my cell phone cam! I came home and crossed off Super 8 for list of hotel choices for upcoming Florida road trip. Filthy cant be used for excuse to have lowest room rates! I challenge any executive of this hotel chain to stay at this location!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Harbor City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a family 90th birthday to attend close by. Super 8 was the only thing available for family members that were attending. I was very surprised at the place as a whole. We had a queen for 2 adults and a baby, upon checking they asked if a king would be better, since the baby wouldn't sleep in a crib. They changed our room to a king, with a small kitchenette at no extra charge.It was very clean, well maintained, roomy and I can't say enough about the staff, very helpful in direction around town, places to eat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Clearville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

A very nice motel at an excellent price. Was pleasantly surprised at the large room which was well equiped with fridge and microwave. Would definately stay at this motel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

People at this place are ready to welcome someone even late in the evening. That is amazing! I reach this place over midnight because i had an night flight from Washington DC to Columbus - Ohio. But there was a guy ready to help me at that time. I stayed here from 18 to 22 July 2013, having a good breakfast and i remain grateful to all the people @ super 8 motel. Good place to stay near Giant Eagle shopping mall - walking distance. The price is normal.

Paul Katombe

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Clarksville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have stayed at this Super Eight the second week end in Aug. for the past fifteen years but this year was the last time . The rooms for the most part are clean and are a good value. The problem is all of the questionable activity that goes on in the halls and parking lot. I think what did it for me was having to step around a "lady" asleep or "passed out" at the top of the steps Sunday morning as I carried my bags to the truck. If you decide to stay there make sure you keep your door locked and watch your back.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor overlooking the parking lot.