“This Red Roof Inn is a great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus Downtown-Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 East Nationwide Blvd, Columbus, OH 43215   |
Ranked #25 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Eaton
“This Red Roof Inn is a great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

The staff at this Red Roof Inn was extremely helpful and courteous. They made sure that we were comfortable in our room and that everything was to our liking. Our room was very clean and comfortable. When we needed extra towels or other amenities the staff made sure we received them in a timely manner. The location of this Red Roof is perfect for Columbus because it's right in the heart of the city just minutes away from the Short North where there are plenty of nice restaurants to dine in. The nightlife in this area is also good. The only problem with the hotel is that their parking lot is too small.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Cheap parking and rates make this a good choice. A few warnings: internet is not free. You will have to pay for wireless, and it isn't cheap. Also the "continental breakfast" is just pre-wrapped Sara Lee muffins, bagels, coffee, and juice. There is no cereal, fruit, or any other option.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

I had switched my hotel twice because friends of mine from Ohio told me that the other two were in bad locations, and I'm sure glad that I did. I had never been to Columbus before and was traveling alone to attend a week long course at Ohio State. This hotel was in a great location. Catching a bus to OSU was easy. Many of the places I wanted to see as a tourist were easy to walk to such as Short North, the Art Museum and the North Market. I would suggest going to Jeni's for ice cream and the Topiary garden for a look at "Sunday in the Park". For the hotel itself, the staff were helpful and the newly renovated top floors are where you want to be. I had a beautiful view of downtown, and my room felt very modern. I felt safe there, mainly because of the indoor corridors which makes it seem more like a hotel than a motel. There are other hotels in the area that have on-site fitness centers, pools and better breakfasts, but for the price, this was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Cleveland suburb, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I stayed 3 nights in early April 2009 for a conference at the convention center. This hotel does NOT have covered access to the convention center so bring an umbrella just in case. Parking lot is across the street and does have in/out privileges, but is not covered and spaces are VERY TINY, so big trucks/vehicles took up a space and half and parking was getting scarce when I checked in around 9 p.m. My room had a great view of Nationwide Blvd.- I booked the junior suite so I would have wireless internet access included. You have to go get an internet access code card every day though which was not a big deal, but not as convenient as all inclusive internet access. The suite was spacious with LOTS of room and king-size bed. Wet bar area with sink and small fridge. Room seemed clean, but upon my initial entry to room, there was an overwhelming smell of cheap mens cologne- so much so that I hesitated to stay in the room for fear there was someone already in the room. I even looked under the bed and couch to be sure! The odor lingered for the first day or so but seemed to dissipate after running the air conditioner/heater- or maybe I just got used to the smell. It wasn't that offensive, but very noticeable. Perhaps it was a fumigation smell of some sort? It did not trigger my asthma. The room showed some wear/tear, but nothing extensive. There was no desk area which made using my laptop challenging when I had to do work because I had to hold it on my lap while sitting on the couch or bed. The restaurant next door (shares parking lot) is AWESOME- highly recommended for a good dinner. Overall, this is a great location for the price if you need a last minute booking- within walking distance to everything. I still prefer the Drury Inn & Suites across the street because they offer a hot breakfast and nightly manager's reception plus covered parking & access to the convention center as well as internet included and an indoor pool. I would consider booking at this Red Roof if my first choice is not available.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

This property is one of the few reasonable options in an over-priced downtown hotel market that tops the sky high rates with a 16 to17 percent room tax (to add insult to injury). This property is not your typical off the interstate Red Roof Inn. It's a quiet high rise near downtown and walkable to the very trendy Short North District (great restaurants there). The negatives: the coffee is undrinkable (in the breakfast room) and there are no coffee machines in the rooms. Walk to the nearby Crowne Plaza coffee bar for your coffee (a block away).

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference across the street at the Columbus Convention Center. I was very satisfied with most aspects of the stay, beginning with the price of the room, which was nearly half that of the conference hotel, even including the "conference discount"!

The room was large and clean, and surprisingly quiet for being downtown in a large city. The beds and other furniture were clean and comfortable. The television had one of those huge remote controls with a thousand buttons for everything from shopping to internet to (maybe) watching TV. There was no channel listing provided and I didn't think to call the front desk; I just surfed until I located the channel I wanted.

The bathroom was also clean and nice, except that the provided shampoo came in a tear-open packet. These are difficult to use and they spill when you set them down. If anyone else had been staying with me, there would not have been enough for two people. I also did not get a second packet for my second morning.

I had some difficulty locating the hotel, since it is set back from the road and the sign is a little too demure. I was looking for something bright red like the logo when it was just a tasteful brick thing with the name of the hotel. Parking is not free. You can park for ten minutes outside the front door, but after that you have to move your vehicle to a controlled-access lot across the street which costs $10 per day, added to your room bill. I'm not too upset about that, since it was good to have parking so close to the hotel, but I didn't realize it was going to cost extra until I got there, and so that was a surprise.

The free breakfast was hideous, but sometimes you get what you pay for. There was a choice of pastry or muffins, each individually wrapped in plastic so I felt that I was eating from a vending machine. There was no hot water for tea-making, but there was a strange machine that made various coffee drinks. There was also a machine dispensing three different fruit juices. That was absolutely all. Throughout the day, the television in the breakfast room blared FoxNews loudly, which was annoying. Luckily, there are many good restaurants in the area that serve breakfast (including the food court at the convention center) and I would recommend eating at one of them instead.

The staff was efficient and friendly during my stay. Everyone at the front desk wore nice business clothes, including the manager who strolled through the breakfast area asking everyone how they were doing. The elevator was fast and silent, so that was also a plus.

• Liked — Great location and great price!
  • Disliked — Breakfast offerings were terrible.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I travel extensively, and this is one of only two hotels I've stayed at in recent years that CHARGES FOR INTERNET! While the front desk warmly informed me that if I'd booked a "business class room," I'd have free internet (a lot of good that did mid-evening!), I was forced to purchase a $9.50/day temporary pass from T-Mobile Hotspots. Worse, they tried to mark the price up at the front desk.

Adding insult to injury, the hotel charges $10/night for parking. While I'd expect this in a large or dense city, the extra charge seemed inappropriate for the hotel's location. Incidentally, the paid parking is across a 6-lane road and a grass median strip.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — charged for internet and parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus Downtown-Convention Center? Share your experiences!