“Would go to the Renaissance again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel

You added Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 North Third Street, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Adam's Mark Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Discover COSI
Ranked #40 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Wisconsin
“Would go to the Renaissance again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

I went here to go to the Origins convention. The vast majority of the staff were competent and friendly. The people at the check-in desk were polite and helpful, the maintenance people for the rooftop pool and hot tub made sure the hot tub was pleasantly hot, and even the security staff were kind.

However, the only exception was the cleaning staff. They knocked on the door early in the morning to clean the room. Frankly, I don't think I should have to put a do not disturb sign on the door to get a full night's sleep, but it's necessary at this hotel. Also, if they "skipped" over a room, they didn't clean it promptly (despite being given many hours during which to do so).

In general, though, I loved the hotel. The room was attractive and clean on arrival, and they gave away more free things than I ever saw a hotel give away before. There were free apples in the bowls next to the check-in desk each morning, oranges in a bowl in the fitness room, and free spring water (individual bottles and cooler) in the fitness room too.

Be sure to visit the roof hot tub. The pool tends to be more than a little chilly, but the hot tub's just right. Overall, this hotel's nice for anyone looking for a quiet, friendly place to get some rest - so long as you use the "do not disturb" sign.

• Liked — The rooftop hot tub
  • Disliked — The cleaning staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

When you are bopping across the country on a roadtrip with the family and you have been on the road for many days, weeks even, and each day is a significant run, and the car seems to be getting smaller and smaller with each run, well, if you are like me, you want to collapse in a nice caravansery at the end of the day's run and relax. Cannot always do that but when you can, it sure makes a difference.

All I can say, The Columbus is one heck of a caravan stop.

I have no complaints at all (ok, just one teeny one: wifi or broadband should by now be free in the room and elsewhere, but this is a trifle). We checked in around 5PM on a Friday in July when it seemed like half the nation of India were checking in for a weekend celebration, not to mention the 4 weddings that were going down that wkd. The parking attendant must have previously been a sailor on an aircraft carrier, so adept he was at 'spotting' the cars into the garage. Kind, intelligent, efficient, no worries. Check in went easily, despite numerous people all with different issues at the front desk. The room was spacious, two queen beds. The bathroom was just fine: many complain about this aspect of this hotel, to which I say, nuts. It was clean, neat, and just how many square feet do you really need to carry out one's ablutions and other needs? Lush towels, good water flow, absolutely no complaints. Had a couple of drinks in the lobby bar: the bar tender could well have been in the Navy as well, given the strength of his gin and tonics! And in the lobby, wifi is free. Just the thing this driver could appreciate after battling semis and nutcups on the interstate. The pool was divine, a bit shallow but the water was almost like a lake, very little tang of the usual pool chemicals, and large, perfect for doing laps or just fooling about and getting cooled off. The hotel is central to many restaurants and wonderful architecture and things to do; for example, it is barely a mile away from the Thurber House (James Thurber? remember your lit classes? The Night The Bed Fell In and other delights?). As I said, we were among a lot of folks with parents from the old country, their kids, and 4 different wedding parties, everyone pretty much excited and on edge in a good way: but no problem for this first class property. This is a hotel that can handle that sort of crush and do just fine. I don't see myself back in Columbus any time soon but if and when I am, I will definitely book here without a second thought.

• Liked — Excellent example of this hotel chain, comfort and service are great
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislke
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Booked a room at The Columbus for 2 nights while at a wedding downtown. We were upgraded upon arrival to a jr. suite which was excellent (2 queen beds, sofa, club chair, lots of windows). It was a great guest room, modern accommodations. Very small bathroom (european like....bummer).

Parking is $25 per night. We parked across the street in a lot which was safe and well-lite. Still about $8-10 per night.

We did not visit the food and beverage outlets. Cheerleaders at a conference were staying at the hotel which was rather annoying (supposedly, this is the nicest hotel downtown other than the Hyatt Cap Square). The lobby bar was attractive, but the clientele was rather sketchy. The fitness center had water bottles which was a nice touch but the equipment was old. Very weird pool on the deck outside----no lounge chairs, etc.

Good hotel for restaurants in Short North district.

• Liked — New guest rooms
  • Disliked — Clientele, groups
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

This property was the perfect location for a weekend of work and play in Columbus. It's close to Arena district and Short North for many dining and shopping options. Plus, there are a lot of bars around if you like to go out.

The rooms are very nice, updated but the bathroom is the strangest I've ever seen. Almost triangular in shape with a folding door that gets in the way of everythng. The shower has a glass wall that goes about 3/4 of the way across the length of the shower, so the floor gets wet. There's a mini fridge that was a nice amenity.

The place was swarming with teens from a volleyball ? tournament so it was very loud, even late at night. The noise from the hallway was so loud I was grateful when the people ended up leaving the next day.

Breakfast buffet was very good as was the service.

Don't pay $23 bucks to park. We parked about a block away on the weekend for $5 per day and had easy access to the car.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy hallways
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Great Falls, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

I just stayed at The Columbus this past weekend.

The staff was very nice and attentive, from the front desk to the housekeepers to the valet.
I booked a junior suite, which was clean and although not the biggest junior suite, very comfortable.

The food in the bar and restaurant are worth the trip!
($8. for the best turkey club I've ever had! Great Value! I would have paid $8. for 1/2 of it, that's how good the food is, not "snotty" as a pervious reviewer stated)
I wish I could order room service everyday from this hotel, yum!

The bathroom is THE smallest bathroom I have ever seen or used in my life.
No counterspace, no floor space, very very cramped, AND they do not have any rooms with a bathtub, not even the largest suite!

I would stay here again, next time I'm in Columbus.
Not for the bathroom, but for the food and service!

• Liked — Staff and Food
  • Disliked — Smallest bathrooms ever
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

Wow- I wasn't expecting much when we pulled in but when I stepped inside my jaw dropped. A gorgeous lobby that has been designed with dark wood and contemporary furniture and carpet. Room was beautiful - big, comfortable bed with fluffy duvet. Awesome bathroom with modern stand-up shower and sink. Room included a nice refrigerator and was so clean. This is everything the Chicago Downtown Marriott should've been.
My only complaints are that we were really looking forward to hitting the pool and hot tub after a long, cold drive from Chicago and their pool and hot tub are OUTSIDE on the roof and only available in summer! That was a huge disappointment. The other one was the lack of any standard pub-type food in-house. The weather was awful so we stayed in for dinner. We thought the bar would offer more laid-back options but the menu was just as snotty as the snotty restaurant. The food was nice but hardly comforting or filling. I went upstairs to check out the in-room dining menu for a late snack and it was more of the same.

• Liked — The interior decor
  • Disliked — OUTSIDE pool and hot tub were inaccessible for winter :(
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
columbus ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

Review for the weekend of Feb 29- March 2. We were in town for the Arnold Classic Weekend and UFC events.

Hotel is nice in terms of looks, however the service in the bar/lounge area where a lot of people hung out to meet the fighters staying there, and body builders, ect was terrible on Friday and Saturday.

We ordered food off the casual menu and it took well over an hour to get. It was not very hot when it did finally come but it tasted fine. Whenever we ordered drinks that took forever as well, so many times we had to just go to the bar to order.

Then when it was time to cash out, our bills were wrong. We had a party of 8 at one point, they rang some stuff up at the bar, then gave some of us individual bills for drinks ect. It was a mess trying to figure out what was what, so we just paid it, but at the end of the day when we had time to look at everything it was wrong, and we were over charged.

The bartender on Friday made a comment that there was only one server and him. This is a pretty big lounge area, so it made sense why the service was terrible, but on a super busy weekend, why no staffing. This was the same on Saturday as well. As a business owner who does have to schedule my staff in accordance with busy and slow times, holiday times, ect, I couldn't believe there was no staff.

On Saturday I ordered a burger and fries. My friend and I split it and neither of us could eat our half a burger because it was soooo burnt tasting. It tasted like they scraped the burnt off the charcoal grill and put it on the burger. It was beyond awful and no amount of ketchup was going to fix it!!

So I went up to talk to the bartender where I had ordered it, (since I couldn't find a server) and he said he'd get me another one ....Not burnt!!!

So in a fast 5 minutes here comes a new burger- I open it up, and MORE BURNT then the first. So back up I go. I tell the bartender "I'm not trying to be a pain , but his is worse" He tells me "Well your gonna have to wait a minute." So over 5 minutes later, and him still ignoring me, while I'm standing there with my burnt burger watching him wait on people that just walk up, a manager comes over to do something behind the bar. He then asks, "is there something I can help you with?" At that point I tell him just to bring me a turkey club.

By that point I had really lost my appetite, and was not happy after the second day of terrible service. The turkey club was ok, and the fries were cold. It is amazing they wouldn't get the 2nd order right, and then the 3 order cold fries- Come on- how hard is it!!!

Our friends stayed at the newly opened Residence Inn by Marriott, right around the corner on Gay St. We met them over there for breakfast, and the people there, who were making no tips to help you, were great. Very accommodating and fast and friendly. Their room was great, with a full kitchen, new everything, and much cheaper then this hotel. I will book there next time. A nice room only goes so far, when the rest of the experience is so negative!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!