“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Port Clinton, Ohio
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not terrible. The only reason we stayed there was because my husbands military ball was being held there. The room was average in decor and the bathroom looked like it could have used an extra scrubbing. Initially when sitting on the mattress it was soft(just the way I like it), but after laying down it became firmer and uncomfortable. Not to mention all the pillows were so soft that your head sank all the way through. Breakfast wasn't bad, but I was informed because being with military that I was not going to receive the coupon for the free buffet. Overall, if your looking for a nice hotel for an overnight stay, this would be a good choice. But i will be staying somewhere else if we visit again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Airport, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Mfsmilen,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you stayed with us at Courtyard and hope you enjoyed the military ball. We welcome you to come and stay with us again soon.

Regards,
Garry Kirkland, General Manger

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was very nice and clean but older. Service was awesome! They upgraded up because we had a baby with us. Very sweet staff. The pool area didnt look very clean. We got a good deal on priceline; I wouldn't pay the going price for this hotel though.

• Stayed September 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Newnew29,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to have had your family stay with us at Courtyard. I’m pleased to hear that our service was awesome and you enjoyed our staff. We welcome you to come and stay with us again soon.

All the best,
Garry Kirkland, General Manger
Pennsylvania suburb
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Flight was cancelled leaving Columbus and we had already checked out of our Hilton Garden Inn and returned our rental car so figured we'd stay nearby at the Courtyard. Should have looked at other hotels in the area. I found the room to be dingy and it looked like the housekeeping was hit or miss. Carpet could have been vacuumed a little better and the furniture was sticky and old. Bedding was disheveled and looked like it hadn't been made up properly. Oh, and the sheers at the window were a wrinkled mess. Granted we were only there for about 10 hours but still ..... Also, because it was Sunday the tiny lounge they had was closed. Walked to the Marriott across the way for dinner which was actually pretty good. One positive was that they provided a shuttle to the airport in the morning which was much appreciated. If you're staying near the airport I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
3hundrd,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to have had you stay with us during your recent trip to Columbus. I welcome both positive and negative comments as we continually strive to make improvements for our valued guests. I will address your issues with our housekeeping staff in our next weekly staff meeting. Thank you for bringing them to my attention. We do hope to earn your business again.

Garry Kirkland
General Manger
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed her 6 times this month for work. Some rooms are nicer then others. Room 253 furniture looks terrible. The finish is coming off and has the gooey sticky look. Things stick to the finish. Staff is nice but some rooms need more help then others. Inspect your room before you decide to stay in that room. Rest of room OK.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Airport, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear dottopilot: Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We’re very happy you’ve chosen to stay with us on several occasions. Your feedback regarding the issue with some of the rooms is importance to us. I’ll be reviewing the comments with my leadership team. We appreciate your return business and hope to see you on your next trip to Columbus. Please feel free to contact me personally if you need anything.

Garry Kirkland
General Manger
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

hotel rooms need renovation. I have been in better courtyards. One of the elevators was broken. The decor was old. If you can find a comparable price I would stay some where else.

• Stayed July 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
marriottgoldmember12,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel on TripAdvisor. We apologize for the elevator being temporarily out of order and hope it didn’t cause too much of an inconvenience for you. We always take into consideration suggestions for improvement from our guests. We hope you will choose our Courtyard the next time you stay in Columbus.
Regards,
Garry Kirkland, General Manager
Salinas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Convenient location efficient and helpful front desk staff. Indoor pool clean and relaxing. Great for business travelers and to catch early flight to airport as hotel is 5 minutes away. Will definately stay here in future!!

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Airport, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you takeatrp! We’re glad you had a relaxing stay with us and found our staff accommodating. Thank you so much writing a review and recommendation for the Courtyard Columbus Airport. We look forward to your next stay.
Warmest regards,
Garry Kirkland, General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My letter to Marriott...we'll see how long this stays up:

Courtyard by Marriott

On  July 5, I had a room reserved online and paid for at the Courtyard by Marriott on Airport Drive near the Port Columbus airport.  The following is a list of things that happened in my brief eight hour stay at this facility.

Because of my son's baseball game in Cincinnati, we were unable to arrive at the hotel until after 10 p.m.  However, the room was paid for in advance. When we arrived in the lobby, we were greeted with perplexed looks and then told that it would be a few minutes as our room needed to be "freshened up".

Exactly why was that? And, if I indeed had a reservation and had paid for it, why would my room not be ready by 10 p.m.? At age 50, I have traveled for years.  If I arrive at 10 a.m., I understand that my room won't be ready.  I understand that you usually can't get in until after 3 p.m.  If  I arrive before, a wait is not unreasonable.

On the other hand, I seriously question why a room at a reputable chain is not ready by 10 p.m. Or, why does it need "freshened up" (this I would find later).
Was there someone else in my paid for room? If so, perhaps they could contribute to my bill?

After about 10 minutes, we ventured up to our room which was allegedly a non-smoking room.  Perhaps this is why we had to be "freshened up" as I detected smoke on the towels and on the pillows even though they had attempted to mask it with clean pillowcases.

The worst was yet to come.  I pulled out the blanket from the closet which was in the  ziplock bag.  I was knocked over by the smell. The blanket reeked of urine and appeared to have been in the closet for some time as that's what the closet smelled like.  I had to throw it out in the hall because of the horrific odor and call for a semi-clean replacement.

The reason for the blanket was the a/c unit.  No matter where you set it, it was on and then off and then on and then off,etc. all night long.  Other hotels have a way of setting it in some sort of constant mode.  Not this one, this was on intermittent annoyance for the brief time I was there.

Later, at 5a.m., our phone rang.  We did have a morning flight, and were going to get up early, but not that early.  We DID NOT request a wake-up call.  With an alarm clock and the era of cellphones, I'm mesmerized by anyone that would need such a primitive service.

Anyway, I got up and showered and went to the lobby to investigate.  I asked why I was called and they erroneously said our room was down for a wake-up call.  They had asked my wife, when we arrived and she definitively said, "No".

My guess is that it was for a previous day and had not been updated.  I then asked to have my Marriott number put on my room.  The clerk did so, but then curtly said that since I bought from an online third party that I might not get credit.

I then asked why our room wasn't ready at 10:30 or whatever it was when we finally came in.  He said, "We were overbooked."

Is that how this works?  When you book a room, do you not actually have a room? You actually sell more rooms than you have?  Then, God forbid someone didn't pay the inflated rate for what is these days is a run of-the-mill room, you treat them like second-class citizens by sending them into the bowels of the hotel like the guy in "Office Space".  To find that someone relieved themselves on the spare blanket 10 years ago and no one has bothered to replace it, is even more disturbing.

Then, to treat me in a condescending manner because I got a better deal on my room is outrageous.  I've had much better rooms and experiences at lesser known chains that don't boast as many "stars".  In the past, "Marriott" meant something.  If it doesn't anymore, if you just run customers through the ringer as if they should be honored to be mistreated, then let me know and I just won't bother anymore.

Are you renting rooms by the hour? Is that why my room needed " freshened up"? And, if you are going to "freshen up" a room, shouldn't it maybe smell "fresh"?

Finally, if you're renting me a room that doesn't exist, that's fraudulent.  Giving me a urine-filled blanket is worse.  Even worse are the excuses I've got and will get for what has happened.

Scott -Cincinnati

Room Tip: Maybe look across te street.