“Not What I Expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Ohio
“Not What I Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We made reservations for 2 rooms for a Saturday night. We got a great rate but that was about the only thing that went right. The front desk clerk was very unprofessional and seemed annoyed to have to wait on people. He gave us our cards for our 2 rooms and when we arrived at the first one, we realized the bed was unmade and there were dirty towels in the bathroom. The second one smelled like smoke even though we had asked for a non smoking room. When we went back to the desk the clerk said, " I know - you're going to tell me the room smells like smoke." No, we actually let that slide and just let him know that our room had not been cleaned. "Oh yeah", he remembered. "My manager told me something about that." In the morning, we checked the hotel amenities booklet which said there was a take and go breakfast in the lobby. The online booking info also mentioned breakfast. When my husband went to the front desk, they informed him that the breakfast had not yet started. He asked when it would be ready and they let him know it wouldn't start until sometime next year.

So, first room dirty, one room smelly, unprofessional staff, no breakfast.
I thought since Extended Stay's cater to business travelers that they would have a professional atmosphere.
It was a great deal if you don't have very high expectations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Columbus - Easton. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back. The multiple room conditions along with the unprofessionalism of the staff you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy,and the importance of being professional and polite with each and every guest, no matter how busy we may be.

Although your comments are discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The empolyees are very welcoming, and always have a smile on their faces. They also try to help you with anything you need!! Very nice people.The hotel is very quiet there is not people running in and out or down the halls at night. The hotels and rooms are very clean as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Columbus - Easton. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

By using priceline I always pay $35 for this hotel. The staff (Nicole) and (Ryan) were super nice, professional and attentive. The room is not fancy, but very clean. It has a complete kitchen and wifi. Flat screen tv. This is an extended stay so most people arrive with their own toiletries. It is also close to easton mall, groceries and major shopping, movies, restaurants. We are out of the room most of the time. The hallway smelled of smoke, but our non-smoking room had no smoking odor. I would definitely rebook.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review of your stay at our Columbus Easton location. It is so gratifying to read the positive feedback regarding your stay. I am delighted to hear of the great service provided by Ryan and Nicole, along with the cleanliness of your guestroom. As you mentioned, our Easton location is in a prime area of Columbus with the Easton mall along with a wide selection of great restaurants. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for four nights when other accomodations plans I had made did not work out. The staff was always very helpful and the room was clean and very appropriate for a brief business stay, esp. with wireless in the room. The kitchen was adequately equipped and the room was quiet in the evening, but the hallway smelled of smoke, though the floor seemed to be all nonsmoking rooms.
The location is great, close to the Easton Mall, with a grocery store and a cineplex only a short drive away, so that it was easy to get food to prepare in the room, and easy to take in a movie when I had free time.

Room Tip: My room was in the back and was very quiet for a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank for you taking your time to write a review of your recent stay at our Easton location. It is great to hear of the outstanding service you received from our staff, the wireless internet, and the cleanliness of your guestroom. The Easton mall is an amazing area just minutes away from the hotel. I do apologize for the smell of smoke in the hallway; we will look into and take the necessary corrective action to prevent this type of inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Columbus, Ohio. Thanks again.
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hallways had an odor that just smelled dirty. The room looked nice, but when it was time for bed & we turned down the sheets that was another story. The sheets were dirty, had someone's hair on them, & a rice crispy in the bed. When I called the front desk the guy said they had other complaints & that the best he could do was to bring us clean sheets for us to put on. No discount, no coupon for next time, nothing. I think when you pay good money to stay in a hotel it's not too much to ask for clean sheets on a bed, not to mention there wasn't any shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom. Unless things change a lot I will never stay in another Extended Stay hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel unless you like dirty sheets.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The cleanliness of the bed you described at our Easton location is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Specifically, standard operating policy is that linens are always replaced with fresh, clean new bedding before a guest checks in. In addition, all rooms are inspected prior to being made available to the public. That having been said, I recognize the issue you have brought to my attention and discussed it with hotel staff and management. We don't set out extra amenities like shampoo, lotions, shower caps, etc, in our rooms. However, our hotel does have a limited supply of sundries at the front desk, and we happily dispense them free of charge upon request. Thank you again for comments, and we would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked this hotel at the last minute, a friend was running in the Columbus marathon and I decided to go cheer her on. They were at a different hotel in the Easton area that was booked. I guess with the marathon and the Ohio State football game, there were slim pickings for hotel rooms. After reading some of the reviews here and hotels.com, I didn't know what to expect. The hotel was clean, the staff was very nice. We had a non-smoking room, as requested. There have been some recent upgrades, there was a flat screen tv in the room.

When I checked in I was told that the room had not been cleaned yet - it was about 5 pm. One of the workers had called out. Scott, at the desk, asked if I could wait 10 minutes and he'd go clean the room himself - some other rooms were still be cleaned also. Well, 20 minutes later, the room was still not cleaned; we did not get into the room until 6 pm. I was disappointed, but Scott was the only one at the desk and there were a few check-ins - I was in lobby waiting and watching. Scott kept thanking us for our patience.

I understand it is an extended stay so normally people are bringing their own toiletries. But could the hotel at least supply some hand soap in the bathroom - that's the one thing the average person is not going to think to bring on a short/overnight stay. A couple extra pillows in the room would be nice too.

For a night, this was fine. The location is GREAT for Easton Town Center. For the price, yes, I'd come back for another night stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review of your experience at our Columbus Easton location. Your feedback is always appreciated to help us improve our service and product offerings. I do apologize for the inconvenience you endured of getting your room ready in a timely manner and we will take steps to prevent this type of inconvenience going forward. I am delighted to hear of the efforts of Scott. Thank you again for the allowing us the opportunity to serve your lodging needs and we look forward to seeing you again on your future travels to Columbus.
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My son and I stayed here for an evening and we both didn't like it. It was dirty, the person at the front desk was terrible, and I was concerned about my safety. It appears that people stay there for a week or more at a time, and alot of cars were driving people up to attend a party near our room/apartment. The price was what drove us there, but it is worth to pay more.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that the cleanliness and the customer service you experienced did not exceed your expections. Please accept my apology. I will be bringing your feedback to the attention of the property management and staff members to ensure that our customer service and cleanliness standards are at the highest quality. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cea@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - Columbus - Easton? Share your experiences!