“Has a lot of potential, just not poorly managed !!!!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort

You added Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort to your Saves list
Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4560 Hilton Corporate Drive, I-70 at Hamilton Road exit 107, Columbus, OH 43232-4180 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #115 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Cleveland, Ohio
“Has a lot of potential, just not poorly managed !!!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

So, I purchased a Groupon based only on the deal presented. Then I started reading the reviews. I immediately wanted to get my money back, but decided to go along with our original plans. We are a family of 4 and have been to Kalahari and Great Wolf in the Sandusky area. If you are using this as an alternative to Kalahari, don't go. If you are looking for modern ammenities, don't go. If you get a deal and just want the kids to have fun, then go. We did not eat at the resort at anytime. We paired it with a trip to COSI and ate at other Restaurants in Columbus. Even when we just wanted pizza after the water park, Donato's was a 5 minute drive from this location. We used Macdonald's for breakfast (5 mins away), and plenty of other eating options just 5 minutes away.

Pros: smaller crowds, so shorter lines, karoake, dancing and a movie each night. pool was well supervised and the staff in the waterpark area were very nice. Game room and gift shop were handy. They have a bar . . . alcohol can always help out a bad situation.

Cons: old dirty carpet, old dirty furniture, old fixtures, grounds poorly maintained, front desk staff rude and easily annoyed, management team ineffective and invisible. Waterpark concrete floor with old chewing gum on the ground because regular deep cleaning does not happen. I saw some sweeping while there, but nothing else. Tower rooms have thin walls and doors need to be replaced. My key had to be recoded each day. Room entry door needed replaced. Deadbolt worked fine, but the top safety was looser than it should have been. Doors had chips and cracks. Our window blind had a tear that was about 3 feet long. Bathroom fixtures had water rust and tiles were missing. Waterpark only open from 2p - 9p.

It has the "bones" to be a great destination, just needs ownership to invest in a deep clean and invest in some renovations. We were in the tower and our room was clean, but just old and worn. We bought some Febreze to eliminate the staleness of the room.

I called this place twice before travelling to attempt to talk with a manager about the reviews. I wanted some assurance that I was not walking into a bad experience. Even though, I left a message 2 and 3 days before my planned arrival, I never got a call back from the guest services group.

So we would not return to this facility, unless we received word that the place recieved a full facelift and the front desk staff were better trained in the basic concept of customer service. My advice is if this is the only Waterpark, you have access to, then walk in with your eyes wide open and just bank on your kids enjoying it. Otherwise, go elsewhere or at minimum, sleep elsewhere and just purchase the waterpark passes.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere in Columbus and come to the Waterpark just to play.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here in April 2015 - my mother, my daughter, and I. Our room was small and the walls were paper thin! The top sheet on one of the beds was yellowed and had burn marks on it. The bathroom sink did not turn off completely, leaving us to listen to a slow trickle of water all night. The bathroom door knob was sticky and covered in some sort of film, the floor of the bathroom was soiled, the shower/tub had mold growing in the grout lines. There were several chips and nicks in the walls.
With one person ahead of us in line to check in, we expected a pretty quick check in process. It took over 20 minutes! During that time, 3 men in business suits kept walking by behind the counter - I am assuming they were "management" but they never once acknowledged us or offered to get us checked in. The lobby did look nice.
The waterpark itself consists of 2 larger water slides, 1 toiletbowl style slide, 4 mat slides that you can race down on your stomach, a lazy river, a toddler splash area and a bigger kid splash area with dumping bucket/slides/climbers. The lifeguards were attentive. The steps going up to the slides were covered in gum...yes, gum. Ick!!! Check the waterpark hours for the days you will be visiting - they did not open until 1:00 on the day we arrived.
The little store in the hotel had Krsipy Kreme doughnuts and that was the hiughlight of this place! They also had lunchbox size bags of cheetos for sale for $2 each, so they were a little overpriced.
We were so appalled by the conditions of our room (and other things) that we wanted to find another hotel, but there was a no refund policy, so we stayed and hoped we wouldn't bring home some weird cooties...
I say stay clear of this place!

Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were on our way home to Michigan from Washington DC and the kids found this resort on their phones. My husband called and found out that they only had one room that would be big enough for us (5 kids). He pressured me into making the reservation over the phone (I HATE doing that), before I had a chance to read the reviews. When I finally did get a chance I was totally freaked out. I didn't want to worry anyone, so I kept it to myself. I was SO RELIEVED when we got there. The staff was friendly enough, the room was very clean. The beds were comfortable. The pool area was very fun and not to strong of chemicals. There were plenty of towels. I can see that there might be times when they would run out of towels, and I personally saw kids dropping trash in the halls, so I bet it is a little frustrating for staff, but we were treated very well. I got a big cheesy pizza for the kids for only 13 dollars. On my way back to our room one darling little boy about 8 or 9 said to me "best hotel ever!!" The kids really liked it.

Room Tip: Our room was on of the townhouses, because we have so many kids. It was great. The kids loved it.
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Don't waste your time or money! Check your receipt, I got charged $32.99 each for four crappy breakfast buffets. Dinner buffet had nothing on it my kids would eat, calamari and sushi. Leaky toilet, sink, and bathtub. Horrible!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I arrived with my kids on Monday night April 6th around 715 pm. We wasn't informed at check in that part of the water park was closed due to maintenance. As my kids was in line for the slides, an employee got in front of my child and told her he needed to go down the slide acting like he's drowning. While going around the 'lazy river' (what we call it?) The same person is acting like he's drowning. There were 2 lifeguards STILL in training and wasn't exactly sure how to handle a drowning person. Left me worried about my children not going to be properly handled if that situation happened.
The room was absolutely disgusting! Dust was literally caked on the wall in bathroom, the tub looked gross, big nasty stain on the box spring of bed. Called the front desk to ask for a TV Guide channel lineup. Was told maintenance would bring it, never received. We needed more towels but was told none would be available until AFTER 11pm! We stayed here hoping to help ease our minds while we was there for my grandmother's funeral. So as we checked out I didn't bother to ask for manager. I called at 207 Tuesday and still as of today Friday haven't received a return call. I called twice today. The first time I was told the first time they're in a manager meeting but will personally give message to manager. 3 and half hours passed still no call. Was told management would return call on Monday because they don't handle calls on weekends. I got extension for manager on the horrible reviews and personally left a message. Will not ever visit here again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We recently stayed a night last week during my kids' spring break. First off, it took us 25mins to wait in line to check in. When I mentioned my wait the front desk staff said "well, everyone is having to wait", unacceptable answer to me. We finally got into our room and to the waterpark, which the kids enjoyed and was clean. After the waterpark closed we found out our dryer that was in our room did not work. We wanted to order pizza so I went to the front desk to get the list of places that delivered, twice I went and waited and waited and no one came to help me. After returning with pizza that I picked up, I went to get ice and no ice machines worked and the vending machines were out of bottled water. I then went to the bar for ice and when I arrived, the bartender and a worker from the kitchen were bickering loudly across the room because the bar had ordered food for guests during so called 'open' times for the kitchen, but kitchen staff said they were closed. To top off the stay, the next morning we were planning to do the waterpark in the morning and then leave in the early afternoon. Well, come to find out, check out time was 11 and the waterpark did not open until 1, but our swim passes were good for both days. I feel that customer satisfaction and service is obviously not a top priority for this resort hotel. I will not return to this resort.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
FortRapids, Guest Relations Manager at Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. During high business volume, there may be an increased wait time for all of our patrons. We apologize as there is nothing that we can do to lessen these wait times. Our ice machines may take time to produce more ice after being depleted, which is what you may have encountered. Our Waterpark hours are have their own section available on our website for review at any time to avoid any confusion about opening and closing times. We are open at 10am on Saturday and Sunday, and encourage our guests to book then if the Waterpark hours during the week do not fit their schedule. Again, we truly appreciate your feedback as it allows our property to continue to grow and succeed!

Warm Regards,

Skyler Young
Guest Relations Manager
614-868-1380 Ext. 6013
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Drove 4 hours to get here and what a disappointment! First check in was at 4p.m. and the front desk was understaffed and rude. We got to our room and there were pizza boxes from the last guests. Then the water park was not fully up and running and my 6 year old couldn't do half of the stuff as described on website. The gallery on the website is deceiving the photos must have been taken on opening day because it is really not as nice as the pictures make you believe. The place is really ran down and not worth half the money we paid. Please save yourself from this poor experience.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!