“Don't go to Fort Rapids, it is a rip off!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort

Save Saved
You added Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort to your Saves list
Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4560 Hilton Corporate Drive, I-70 at Hamilton Road exit 107, Columbus, OH 43232-4180 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #118 of 141 hotels in Columbus
New Franklin, Ohio
“Don't go to Fort Rapids, it is a rip off!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Purchased a family Groupon for 4 with overnite stay included. The hotel definitely needs updated. The breakfast included was really a rip off--I would hate to think I was paying full price to eat here. Everything that was brought out was COLD and not worth eating. The servers stood around doing nothing. My husband had to go get someone for coffee while they stood around talking. Had a note on the table to take all you wanted to eat, but if you didn't eat it, there was an $8 charge. We do not take more than we can eat, but what little we had on our plates, was not edible. We noticed people didn't eat the food and left. At the end the servers brought you a fortune cookie expecting a tip for doing nothing. We tip around 20 percent for good service, but we sure didn't see anyone leaving a tip and for good reason.
The waterpark was understaffed, so you had to wait forever to ride a slide and this was on a Wednesday, which was suppose to be their "slower day". Thursday morning was overrun with kids brought in from preschools. There was enough personnel for the "lazy river" but certainly not enough for the slides. My grandson walked up to the kid's slide, waited forever, then the staff wouldn't let anyone go down because they needed to take a break. If you are going to take a break, close off the slide at the bottom of the slide, don't make people walk up and have to wait and walk back down again. I have a knee replacement, so steps are not my favorite thing to walk up, and I want to take the slide down, not turn around and walk down again. The place is run by kids who have no clue on how to run a water park.
The lockers are $7 and $9. I had to waste at least 20 minutes because there was something wrong with the system and had to have personnel come and try to fix the problem.
Given a code by the front desk for wifi, surprise code didn't work, so couldn't use wifi. Ice machine didn't work on our floor or most floors, so had to find a floor that did. Cold water faucet wasn't cold enough to just drink without ice.
Resort fee of $7.50 per day, for what??? certainly not the service. In the end, my $129 groupon for a Wyatt Earp room with 4 water park passes, breakfast (if you could call it that) and a crummy mug cost me almost $167.
Could say more, but I think you get the picture......don't go here unless you want to waste your money.
They Groupon also advertised 4 vouchers worth $3 each. When I asked for these at check in, I was told to come back later for these and the breakfast vouchers. We could have went to a fast food restaurant and at least had an edible breakfast and hot. As for the arcade vouchers, when I returned to get these I was told they were replacing $12 worth of vouchers for a mug with a Fort Rapids logo. My grandchildren 6 and 10 both looked at it and replied "that sure isn't worth $12."

Room Tip: Don't stay here--go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We must have stayed on an off day because the water park was not very busy (monday-tuesday). There were enough slides for both my kids (11&9) a lazy river and 7 big slides plus a kids area with more slides (see pic).

The hotel does show signs of being older mostly cosmetic things. It appears the hotel was recently taken over by a new company who were "fixing"some things outside (painting, etc.) The room was very clean. this property has old airport conditioning units that run constantly and do not keep the room at a good temp. When we arrived,.our room was about 85°. There was hard water stains in the bath tub but otherwise it was a nice place to stay. The breakfast buffet that is included was nice. Coffee,milk, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, muffins and donuts.

Breakfast is located in the same restaurant as the "seafood buffet". While breakfast is nice, it is NOT worth the price for dinner. It was $45 for me and my two children to eat dinner the night before. The buffet is a cheap chinese food buffet with about 3 things a picky child will eat....french fries (which were gross), rolls and garlic toast, pizza (which had peppercinos, mushrooms and onions) that my kid wouldn't even look at. The only nice thing was the crab legs. This buffet is over priced and unless you are in to sushi, a waste of money. Be aware that there are also signs that say if you take too much food and waste it, they will charge you $8 extra!

I would stay again but make better dining choices.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Booked a groupon for a king sized room for my wife, son and I. The check in process had a hiccup, as we were given the wrong type of room. The front desk took care of this very quickly. The hotel is dated. Carpet, doors, and furnishings look old and worn down. Tube televisions in rooms instead of flat screens. Wifi was adequate, however.

The watermark was actually quite nice. Few minor complaints, like allowing a door to be propped open near toddler area, when it's too cool outside for that. Water park would be appropriate for kids over about 4 and below about 13. Most slide lines moved quickly enough, longest one was "toilet bowl" style slide. Had options for all age kids, too.

Koo buffet is just bad. We didn't eat dinner here, but walked by and it just looked not very good. We did eat breakfast here, and no items we ate were good at all. I would choose another option off the property if I were coming again.

Overall, I would visit again for the right deal, but would never feel like I had to go back.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lima, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This was a horrible experience for our family. The hotel is not clean or maintained. In our room alone, the blinds were tattered, the bed skirt had huge rips, the facet dripped, the bath tub was rusted, the toilet ran all the time. The waterpark is decent, but is totally invaded by locals. Lifeguards do a horrible job. Allow certain kids to run rampant while they blow whistles at kids like mine who were being monitored by parents. I finally called them out....they blew the whistle at my little girl because she had more than one tub in the lazy river. She was trying to get them out of the lazy river so others could use them. At the same time, 12 kids ran by us...out of tubes..which was against the rules. Lifeguard never attempted to correct them. Saturday at this place was completely crazy. I didn't feel safe. We wouldn't leave the room without my husband. I don't even know what to say about the staff. This is the most unprofessional staff I've ever encountered. We will never, ever go near this place again!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
FortRapids, Guest Relations Manager at Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is unfortunate that the accommodations were not satisfactory. We are in the process of upgrading all of our tower guest rooms. Again, thank you for your review of your visit, and we truly hope that you will give us the opportunity to host your family again!

Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Bought a Groupon for a room with arcade tokens etc. At check in they said they don't offer the tokens anymore and offered my children to share s mug instead! Then they have me a book at check in with coupons. Tried to use 1 and Kristen the manager was rude in explaining there's nothing she can do. The coupon isn't accepted anymore. I got it from the front desk and hour prior!!! When I asked for a manager she was rude and said that's she's it. Ha!!! Think not honey. We'll be contacting a manager above you even though it looks like a lost cause! Poor reviews for a reason. The staff running the water slides were also terrible. Yelling and kids and cussing to each other on front of guests. Never.... Never again!!! Oh.... The rooms smell bad and our floors were wet and musty smelling. I could keep going but I'll stop there for now.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate the feedback as it allows us to continuously grow. As demand for our promotions is never known for sure, occasionally the promotion details may change. A prime example being a high demand for our arcade cards, and therefore we must substitute another item of equal value instead. We ask that you be understanding that occasionally these substitutions are necessary. Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding in regards to your promotion.

Newcomerstown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I have never written a review for trip advisor until my trip to Fort Rapids in Columbus. I also read the reviews and thought we would take a chance - bad idea. I would spend an extra hundred dollars to go somewhere else if you are considering going here- clearly this facility is lacking funds and likely won't be running (at least with current management) for much longer.

When we arrived - our room smelled of strong cigarette smoke, we were given another room which seemed fine - but then when I went to give my young daughters a bath there was only hot water -no cold - at all. I went back down to the front desk and asked yet again for another room - was given an upgrade upon request and sent to another room which was not an upgrade - went back down to the desk and given a FOURTH room. This room was an upgrade and in all honesty we would have been okay with all this at this point. The rooms were Definitley outdated and not the cleanest I've stayed in but you get what you pay for.

The morning of check-out I realized we were billed for the upgrade - an extra 68 dollars. This was the breaking point. I yet again marched down to the front desk demanding to talk to someone. I met with a manager and sales manager. I explained all the inconveniences and the fact that I had spent more time with the front desk staff then my own family.

This is the point I want to mention the front desk staff was incredible as was skylar - I believe a manager. They were helpful and tried very hard to help me in this situation- they also seemed empathetic. At this point I felt my room should be at no cost due to all the issues from the day before and now an extra charge on my credit card. Nope - 20% off and a voucher per the highest manager there - a sales manager I believe. I demanded to get contact info for the next in line supervisor and after asking several times (and being told a lot of staff would be fired which I feel is very unprofessional to tell a consumer how staff will be punished- besides the fact that the front desk staff were the nicest in this situation). At one point I was so frustrated and being that my conversation with the sales manager was in the middle of the lobby bc he Couldn't get the conference room doors unlocked - I asked another gentleman to come over to our conversation because he was also having issues (paid for an arcade package but when arrived this wasn't available - was offered a pizza to make up for the 49
Dollar package he was not given after purchasing) and was told the cops would
Be called on me for creating a public disturbance. Because I was stuck in the lobby discussing this mess and had asked to go the conference room but the sales manager couldn't get in there. I wasn't making a oublic disturbance but I was demanding to speak to yet another supervisor who could credit me more for my room and horrible experience. And when appr. 5 other guests throughout our one night stay are complaining about charges in the card - that says something.

I assure you I'm not making any of this up- this was the events of our 1 night trip on 8/13/14. When I finally reached Paul- the next supervisor up in pittsburgh Pa via phone call- I tried explaining my situation - he was very very rude - yelled at me and told me I need to deal and that just because I had "a few issues" doesn't mean they aren't a business needing to make money. He yet again kept saying staff will be fired - he is the one who needs fired. Not sure I've ever been spoken to so rudely. After my husband got on the phone and dealt with him for another hour conversation we were given 20% off the original bill And voucher to return.

Why would I return? Ever? Not if the world was on fire and it was the only facility not on fire would I return to this place. But when your 2 and 6 yr old are hungry and ready to leave - you take it I guess. My husband went back in for the voucher and halfway home we opened it - it was four freaking breakfast vouchers - for that morning - Nevermind it was 1 pm at this point and we were told it would be vouchers to return. At this point -we laughed and I swore to write a review warning anyone thinking about going here - don't!!!! The management level is awful- the worst ive ever encountered and we travel a lot!!

That being said - thank you skylar and the other front desk help- you were empathetic and I appreciate it. Your boss is a total jerk and I'm sorry for you. I hope you all have jobs and that he did not fire you as he so unprofessionally told myself and husband over a dozen times.

PS- the only reason for 2 stars is because I am thankful
For the front desk staff, housekeepers and lifeguards- they were all very nice and good at their jobs.

PSS - pay extra and go elsewhere please- if you demand what is owed to you- you could end up with the cops being called and going to jail.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for commenting on your recent visit with us. We truly appreciate your comments, as it enables us to continually provide even better customer service. I do apologize for the troubles that you experienced during your stay with us. I will address your concerns with the appropriate members of management to see if we may improve in the future. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Canton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When we first arrived at the resort, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that our room was all ready to go several hours before it was supposed to be. We reserved the largest villa they had for our family. We got to our room, and I was able to look past the outdated furniture and horribly scuffed walls because it seemed clean. We got ready and headed to the water park and had a great time for a few hours.

The fun ended there.

We got back to our room to find out that, although we had turned the air conditioning up, it had only gotten warmer in our room. It was about 82 degrees when we called maintenance. And then an hour later called them again. And then later called them again. They finally came and said they had fixed it. It didn't get fixed. So we had to call again, and again, and again. But they never fixed it. If I had put two-and-two together, I may have realized that the fact that there were space heaters in each of our rooms meant that there was no air conditioning or heating. At 11 pm, it was 85 degrees and they only had one fan to give us.

But that is not the worst of it. Some of our family had another room booked, and while we were at the water park, an employee broke in to their room (as well as others) or helped someone break in. They had cell phones, money, and an ipod taken. I realize that this was not necessarily the hotels fault, BUT you would think that they would at least send a manager out to talk to them. No. They stood around the front desk for 4 hours hoping to talk to someone. They had to call the police themselves. And this is the worst: You would think they would comp their room. Nope. And two weeks later, they won't do anything about it. They assured us that they would do the right thing when we were face-to-face the next morning. They just asked for their room to be comped. That's it. Nothing else. The management lied.

So, if you go to the hotel and have no problems while you are there, then you will probably have an okay time. But if you have any problems, please don't expect to have the management treat you with dignity or respect. They really should be ashamed of themselves.

Room Tip: Do NOT buy a villa room. There is a good chance you will have no air conditioning!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
FortRapids, Guest Relations Manager at Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do apologize that our service fell short in regards to the Air Conditioning in your room. I have already begun to investigate this issue. Every Manager on property at the time of the incident were already investigating the incident. The Management staff were not avoiding speaking about the issue, rather diligently working to try to recover your items. I do apologize if this was interpreted incorrectly. Before any decision is to be made by the hotel, the investigation does need to be completed by Columbus Police. Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

614-868-1380 Ext. 6013

Been to Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!