“Worst. Weekend. Ever.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort

Save Saved
You added Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort to your Saves list
Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4560 Hilton Corporate Drive, I-70 at Hamilton Road exit 107, Columbus, OH 43232-4180 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #120 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Westlake, Ohio
“Worst. Weekend. Ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Let me be frank, this was literally the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in. This is immediate first reaction to walking into the hotel. The place is so run-down, it's embarrassing to admit we spent over $100 bucks the entire weekend to stay there. I arrived with my boyfriend on Friday due to a wedding that we were attending during the weekend. The place was crawling with people and it felt like we were at the zoo. Not to mention, the noises continued all night. Obviously those "Quiet Hours" signs are NOT cutting it. Also, there were some sketchy kids just hanging out in the parking lot... security anyone? Hello?

The rooms are TERRIBLE. It doesn't even look like they cleaned the bathrooms (I was so grossed out by the way the bathtub looked that I refused to shower in it). And our room faced the LARGE waterpark billboard that changed colors about a million times during the night and the curtains were broken so we had that as a nightlight for two nights.

The rooms were not the worst thing in the place, it was the trashing customer service. Upon my boyfriend getting ready to shower (which since he's a guy he didn't really care about those wonderful unsanitary conditions), he noticed that there was no soap. So I said I'll run down and get some for him since he was already jumping in the shower. I head downstairs and I'm super friendly (obviously there was no reason for me to be rude to the staff) and said,"Hi, I need soap for my room." Without so much as a "Hi," this bigger, tattooed woman rolls her eyes and walks over to a drawer and grabs some and then hands them to me. I completely understand that your day is just terribly busy (judging by how many guests were NOT around) but it's called customer service for a reason. A little smile and friendly attitude would have been nice.

During the day, we kept hearing that people were getting robbed at the hotel. Being that I work from home and I had to take my laptop on this trip, I was a little nervous that I had it there and that someone was using the hotel master key to break into people's rooms... so it was a little hard to have fun when that worry was constantly on my mind.

Check out: So on Sunday, we stopped to check out at the front lobby. I once again dealt with the bigger, tattooed woman (apparently she works in the mornings... which means she should probably get that "beauty sleep" she is in DIRE need judging by the attitude and expressions). The groom's mother was standing there chatting with us about the hotel and the pricing for the rooms each day. She noticed that there was an $8 extra charge for the room and that it was supposed to be $4 dollars less a day. Obviously this was needed to be adjusted. The not-so-lovely woman behind the counter remarked, "I'm no manager or anything but I'll risk my job for $8. I'll just have them take it out a my paycheck." Classy for a customer service representative. "I'm no manager" You serious? Grammar, it's a beautiful thing. I just stared at her in disbelief and she once again rolled her eyes. I can understand her remark being needed for $20-$30, but seriously it was $8. Get over it.

Obviously I didn't get a chance to check out the waterpark considering the operating times are 11a.m. - 9p.m. (which is by far the most ridiculous times I have ever heard of for a "waterpark") and it's another $50 for the passes even if you're staying in the hotel. It would be great to have those passes discounted since we had to stay at the disgusting and questionable rooms that were offered.

If you're looking for a nice, safe, customer friendly place, I would say go somewhere else.

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dayton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Let me start by saying, I am not one to complain about anything. I do not go out of my way to find "wrongs" in things, and it truly doesn't take much to satisfy me as a customer. With that being said, I am incredibly disappointed with my stay at Fort Rapids and I think others should know about it before wasting their money. From the beginning, I had called months in advance to make a reservation for just Saturday night as we were attending a wedding that evening and they had rooms blocked. My fiancé and I had decided that it may be fun to go up the evening before so our son could enjoy the water park. I had called in advance to book the room for that Friday evening and it took them 30 minutes to find my existing reservation. After that reservation was found, the young lady assured me that Friday was booked as well.

We arrived to the hotel and were taken back by the appearance on the outside. Weeds everywhere, tons of trash, and people were gathered out front as if they were at some sort of club. Walking in, the lobby area was nice but no direction on where to go or what to do. We approached the desk to three very unprofessional employees, one of which who yet again couldn't find our reservation. Once the reservation was finally found we were informed that Friday was never booked. 20 minutes later we received our room keys with little to no instruction as to where our room was located or what the hotel had to offer. After arriving to the second floor I was appalled by how dingy and broken everything was. Our bathroom door was rotting at the bottom, the shower handle broke off in our hand, we had no microwave or coffee maker, the hair dryer didn't work, and it didn't look like the room had been cleaned fully. After settling in, we decided to check out the water park with our son. Purchasing tickets was nearly a nightmare as they close the waterpark at 9pm and you only get a few dollar discount for purchasing tickets after 4pm (none of this was explained to us, we found this all out on our own). Our son did end up enjoying the water park! After a good few hours of swimming we decided to order room service. The food was decent but it took over an hour to receive our food. The next morning we decided to eat breakfast at the buffet that was WAY overpriced!!!!! We decided to do lunch out -which was also difficult because this hotel is located in the middle of the ghetto. When we returned after lunch they were blaring awful inappropriate music that nearly pushed me over the edge. As a family friendly resort there is no excuse for the trashy environment this hotel has. While riding on the elevator we overheard a lady speaking about how her wallet had been stolen in the waterpark and several of the wedding party we were staying with also had many complaints!!

Overall our experience was awful and would recommend others to find something else fun to do. The customer service was non existent, the hotel was not only run down but the dead flowers, weeds, chipped paint, and trash just proves they don't care, and the lack of instruction/hours of operation really shows a lack of management and organization.

Saying I'm a very unsatisfied customer is an understatement.

One more thing, the oversized t-shirts the staff wears is unprofessional and trashy.

• Stayed July 2014
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Fort rapids use to be a nice clean place to have a family weekend getaway. The water park had roaches in it. We informed the staff and the manager of the situation and nothing was done. We finally got into our room where the dryer or the tv upstairs did not work. Spent 3 hours of our time trying to get it fixed. After the tv and dryer were replaced we went back to the water park still trying to have a nice weekend and there was still a roach where we found them. Then we had to fight for rafts to go down the slides and with 3 kids it was not a fun weekend. Never will we stay again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had one of the most unforgettable days of our lives yesterday, and it wasn't positive. We met family at Fort Rapids to enjoy a day at the water park with our grandchildren and cousins. Had we read the previous reviews, we would have chosen another place and avoided the loss of three IPhones, one IPod and over $100 in cash. Our daughter and her husband booked a room there, hoping to celebrate my granddaughter's tenth birthday. Their room was in the tower on the second floor which was obviously in a state of disrepair, not to mention the fact that there are no surveillance cameras. The room with water passes was $350: an absorbent price for the quality of the furniture and beds. One wonders how the hotel can get away charging so much for old rooms. We've stayed in Motel 6's that were nicer furnished than this room. I should add that some of our family had booked a suite over on the "nice" side of the hotel. It was a step up in quality, but the air conditioning in their room was malfunctioning and the temperature was still around 85 degrees around 9 pm even after maintenance had supposedly been there.

We changed in our daughter's room on the second floor and left our belongings there to swim. Things were safe until my granddaughter had finished her nap in the room. In the next half hour, someone got a hold of the master key and passed it on to thieves who went through all of our stuff. I'm sure the hotel would deny it it, but it appears that hotel employees could have been cooperating with the thieves. We were not the only ones robbed. One business woman lost her jewelry at about the same time and yet another woman lost two IPhones and a pack of cigarettes. We learned that the master key had gone lost around 2 pm and had not been reported. In addition, one employee, who had not been assigned to work on our floor was in the hall by our room at the time of the theft.

Its bad enough to be violated and robbed, but the way in which the management dealt with the problem was unbelievable. For one, we had to call the police ourselves. After that, we literally stood around for four hours waiting on the hotel to decide what they wanted to do - which in the end was nothing. Even though the incident appeared to involve hotel employees as accomplices, the hotel refused any kind of compensation. Our daughter and son-in-law asked for their money back as they had not even slept in the beds and had no desire to stay in an unsafe room. That request was refused. Any reputable establishment would have at least tried to compensate those victimized in some small way. Not here. Thanks to our great legal system, the hotel is apparently and happily not liable.

When we returned home last evening, we read through the reviews that have been posted about the hotel. Its easy to think that picky people write those reviews, but as we read each account, it was obvious that the poor customer service, extremely dirty and run down conditions, and the horror stories that have been written about the hotel are absolutely true. We experienced a number of them first hand yesterday.

If you stay at this hotel, you are staying at your own risk. Although the pictures on line look impressive, the actual state of the hotel doesn't come anywhere close to them. Its in a bad part of town and theft seems to be more common there than the hotel might want to admit. The manager, Skyler seemed personable, yet overwhelmed with the problems he is facing. It seems the hotel is simply hanging on a thread and trying to survive. All I can say is that the negative reviews are accurate.

If you stay there, take your phones and cash with you or leave them at home. There are thieves operating in and around the hotel. What gets stolen will not be compensated. Don't even expect to get your money back. Choose a safer water park and don't risk what we went through on July 26th, 2014,

Room Tip: Check the room, the beds, and the bathroom. Don't pay in advance. You won't get your money b...
Greater Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Initially our trip was enjoyable. Later, however we discovered 3 iPhones, an iPod, and almost $150 cash stolen from our room by hotel staff. We reported it immediately. Following that was a grueling 5 hour wait at the registration desk , during which time we spoke with 5 or 6 people claiming to be the manager. Even though their employee was the thief, Fort Rapids refused to take any responsibility. Fort Rapids refused to compensate our room fee, and after waiting that long period of time (with multiple toddlers and infants present), no progress was made. They refused to pay even for the cost of the pizza we ordered.In the same afternoon two other families were stolen from also. If you choose to vacation here, don't expect to relax or leave with all of your valuables..

Sabina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We were trying to find an affordable vacation for our family. We don't get to do this very often because if money. We wanted to just take our kids on a 1 day trip this summer. We had a great experience at the cent desk, I will say she was doing alot if different jos and could of used help. But great to me. We ate in the bar area. Had great food, excellent service and affordable for a family of 5, the waterpark was great. No lines, lifeguards obviously trained well. Just wish it was opens little later. Arcade was great. Wish we would of been aware of coupon in key card folder we could of used it. We spent alot in there. Room was great and comfortable for a family of 5. We will be back as son as we can afford it. In fact we have a family tht has just experienced a loss in our family. We could use a get away of laughs to get away from things and smile again with our mother. We have all ages of kida that would enjoy this place. Money is just always an issue. Hope to be able to come back soon. Please dont read all the bad reviews. Use your own judgement. Thanks so much for the memories. Hope to be able to see you again soon

• Stayed July 2014
FortRapids, Guest Relations Manager at Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the kind words in regards to your recent stay with us. I am so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your mini-vacation with us. This is the type of experience that all of the dedicated staff and management of Fort Rapids strive to provide to every single guest that we host. I sincerely hope that we see you and the family again in the near future!

Warm Regards,

Skyler Young
Revenue & Guest Relations Manager
614-868-1380 Ext. 6013
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If I could rate 0 stars I would!! From the minute I walked in to check in for our overnight stay, customer service was horrible!! It took over a half an hour to check in because no-one knew how to find my reservation... On top of the fact that the rude employees were too busy having their own conversations! Finally got the key to our room, headed up, and the room was dingy! The remote controller was broken, the bathtub was dirty and the door handle was broken (it had to be jiggled to close properly)! The water park had no available life jackets for the little ones and the water was freezing! After swimming, we wanted to eat, and if you don't like seafood, you're out of luck! The buffet is expensive and with two 2 year olds, they wouldn't have touched anything! We decided to order a pizza at the bar/restaurant... 45 minutes later, we still had NO FOOD! When I asked the bartender why it was taking so long, his response was, "I don't know, we only have 1 cook". We waited about 10 more minutes and finally told him that we were leaving, we were hungry and couldn't wait any longer! He then handed me a bill for the soda we had!!!!!!! I promptly took it to the front desk and told them I didn't think we should have to pay for them either... She walked away to talk to the bar manager, came back and said, "well he's busy, can you write your name and number down and we'll call you"!!!! They later called and "comped" our drinks! Meanwhile, we had to waste more of our vacation time, driving 20 minutes away to another restaurant! Later that night while in our room with nothing to do, because the water park closes at 9!!!!! I called the front desk to ask for a pack and play for my 2 year old, and they said, "ok i'll tell housekeeping". I waited about an hour and still no bed! So I tried to call housekeeping, no answer! Called the front desk back and got this response, "well they are very busy, give them a few minutes".... Within 2 minutes they were there (making me believe they forgot the first time I called)... We could not get out of there fast enough in the morning! Then when I tried to call and talk to a manager, I was told there was nothing they could do because I purchased my stay through Groupon, and that I needed to call them! Absolutely the worst customer service and stay we've ever had!!!!!! Tried calling the "general manager" and was given his voicemail, where I left a message with, of course, no response!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent visit with us. We do appreciate the feedback, as it allows us to continue to grow and provide better accommodations and service. We take all of your concerns very seriously, and I will personally address them with each department head. Again, thank you so much for reviewing your stay. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss any further.

Warm Regards,

Skyler Young
Revenue & Guest Relations Manager
614-868-1380 Ext. 6013

Been to Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!