“Great indoor water park, marginal hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort to your Saves list
Booking.com Hotels.com
Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4560 Hilton Corporate Drive, I-70 at Hamilton Road exit 107, Columbus, OH 43232-4180 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #107 of 139 hotels in Columbus
Huxley, Iowa
“Great indoor water park, marginal hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at Fort Rapids with a school group. The waterpark itself was great fun. Some fantastic slides, nice pools, a nice arcade section, etc. It is more than I would normally expect for an indoor waterpark. Absolutely no complaints with this. The hotel itself is a different discussion entirely.

We had an individual room in the "tower" section of the hotel while most of the kids shared a couple of rooms in the suite section. The suites were very nice and seemed very well kept and equiped. However, the tower section is severly overdue for a renovation. The first room we checked into had several issues. We went to use the supplied hair dryer (attached to the room wall) which promptly shorted out and smoked. The faucet in the sink leaked notably all over the counter-top when turned on, the room furniture was a mix of "well used" and un-usable. So we requested a new room. The second room was in better shape. However, it became very apparent that the electrical system in the tower is way over-taxed. As it was, the supplied micro-wave and mini-fridge were not working due to the GFCI being tripped and not working. The in-room coffee maker had to be moved to use a different outlet (the one the TV - CRT incidentally, at least 10 years old - was on). This outlet was the only one on the entire wall (no longer allowed with current electrical code) and had a six outlet extender on it to make everything workable in the room. The beds were basic, but reasonably comfortable. The doors also were showing their age.

The staff seemed sincerely interested in making our stay a good one. No complaints and they were quick to attempt to correct things as much as they could.

The in-hotel resteraunt food was acceptable and not too terribly high priced (for hotel fair), but the service was very slow.

Overall, I would suggest the following - if you can afford a suite, then an overnight stay should be very enjoyable. Otherwise, find a nearby hotel and stay there and by a day pass (if that is possible) into the water park itself. You will feel better about it overall and enjoy yourtrip better that way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FortRapids, Manager at Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your room in the tower, we understand you were frustrated about various issues with your room . We admit that the tower rooms are a bit dated, but are glad to announce that there are plans to update them in the near future. We are happy to hear that you had a great time in the waterpark, and that the staff was so helpful.
Did you ask to speak to a manager while you were here? We would appreciate you giving us a call, so that a manager can speak to you about your visit at 877-33-SPLASH, we would be happy to hear from you and hopefully change your perception of us. Thank You.

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is the second indoor waterpark we stayed at so we had expectations. We loved the waterpark, it was awesome for little ones and had enough that our older son wasn't bored. Many of the attractions could have used some paint or replacements. The arcade had a lot of "out of order" games not necessarily marked as such, and the prizes are pathetic. The food was below average. We ate at the Branding Iron (a on-site steak house) and ordered 2 12-oz steaks, the waiter came back and said they only had 8-oz. So we switched to the 8-oz; then we heard other waiters telling customers they were out of steaks entirely. They didn't miss much--the steaks weren't very good; tough with little flavor. My children both liked their meals, my oldest had a burger and youngest had pizza. We also pre-purchased the breakfast there for the following morning (didn't save a dime by doing that we found out later), that was OK. Typical buffet breakfast, except my kids didn't like the pancakes or danishes (luckily we found french toast sticks on the other side of the buffet), no one came around to check on us and we had to request coffee. Could not even get a glass of water. On the up-side all the staff members we spoke with were very nice and helpful. The room was OK, we upgraded to the one with the kids bunk beds. The kids liked that. The king bed was comfortable. There were a few issues, like the light fixture hanging from the ceiling and no fan in the bathroom otherwise it was clean and cozy. They are supposed to be adding on and adding a sushi buffet (which is an interesting choice considering the "western" theme) so we may go back if there is a good deal.

Miamisburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We checked in on a Friday afternoon- polite front desk, got a room on the 7th floor. The decor is western and overall pleasant. The lobby has a beautiful fireplace with worn couches. The building is a bit run down (it's an old Holiday Inn highrise...10 floors maybe?). Carpets are old, rooms are showing their age, but no bed bugs and the room was clean, including the bathroom. Only complaint- 3 bulbs were out in the bathroom, but I did not notify the desk since 2 were still working. The elevators were quick. We ate at the restaurant- our server was fabulous, the food very good- 3 meals, drinks and a tip about $40. (Breakfast buffet was awesome as well). The waterpark area is very large, we mainly stayed in the baby area. The temperature was about right, it got cold for the little ones after an hour or so. The lifeguards average age was about 17 and seemed to have different rules- some allowed you to go down the smaller slides with a child on your lap and others would not. But there were plenty of them walking around so that was reassuring with having little ones. The snack bar food was appropriate. The bathroom/locker rooms are not the newest or cleanest, bring flip flops! Clean towels provided; lots of tables but they were all taken by 11 am on Saturday with a towel or bag 'marking' them. You can swim all day with the passes, however check in 4 and check out 11, like most other places. Arcade was big and fun, but the floor was disgusting. It did not appear to have been vaccuumed in a week. The staff in the arcade- average age again around 16 or 17, and seemed bothered that we were there. Overall, for the price and fun we would come back.

Canal Winchester, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have never written a review before but I could not let my experience go to the wayside. The bathrooms in the waterpark area were disgusting. I told an employee that look like a manager about it and he said he would get housekeeping on it. That was Saturday evening. The next morning we went back to the waterpark and went into the bathrooms. They were in the same condition. This was first thing in the morning when it opened. It clearly was not cleaned the night before when I mentioned it to the manager and it wasn't cleaned before it opened. One of the little boys I had with me fell and scraped his knee. I took him to first aid and there wasn't anyone around at all. The first aid room was disgusting with trash all over the floor and counters. I tried to get a paper towel out of the dispenser and it was empty. I had to go to the nasty bathroom to wash his scrape. The concession area was nasty also. The staff working at the concession were not attentive at all. When I approached the concession stand I was ignored. Finally when someone came to assist me he just walked up to the counter and looked at me with ear buds in his ears. He didn't say, "hi, can I help you?" He didn't take out he ear phones. He just looked at me like what do you want.
It's a shame that the waterpark is so poorly ran. It's a great park but not kept up at all. I will not be taking my family back there again.

Room Tip: DO NOT GO THERE!! The management needs to be fired for the condition that this place is kept at.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FortRapids, Manager at Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We are sorry that your visit to Fort Rapids did not meet your expectations, and the waterpark was not in the conditions it should have been. We are currently working on improving the way our staff does business, as we know there are some issues that need addressed immediately. We would really appreciate it if you would call and speak to a manager regarding your visit, so we can further investigate the situation and hopefully change your opinion of Fort Rapids. Our phone number is 877-33-SPLASH, we look forward to your call.
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a blast, the indoor park was clean, the room were decent and the hotel staff was great. The price was right and would go back. The only problem was it was packed that day and there were not enough rafts to go around and some of the lifeguards are absolutely worthless. There were two life guards / employees at the top of the tube tower. One was not doing anything and got mad because she got wet... WERE AT A WATER PARK!. The line moved quicker when she left and only one was working it all. Because of these issues I only give 3 stars.

Room Tip: choose a villa room, this section is newer.
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our 3rd trip to Fort Rapids since 2009. We had really great times our first 2 visits, so I don't know why I decided to look it up on TripAdvisor the night before we were to go. Needless to say I was a bit surprised at the negative posts, as we had never experienced anything like what was written about. Because of that, I approached check-in yesterday cautiously. However, the front desk attendant was more than happy to let me inspect the room assigned to us (Cisco with bunk beds) before completing the check-in. As a Clorox-wipe, Lysol spray carrying traveler my inspection of the room found it to be quite acceptable. Yes the hotel has definitely seen a lot of use, and there are items in the rooms that should be replaced, but all in all I found it clean and ready for our use.

The waterpark is a lot of fun and perfect for our 10-year-old son. It's big enough to keep him occupied, yet small enough to allow him the freedom to go about on his own. All of the younger guests we encountered were well-behaved, though not many knew or were taught that after you were done with a tube or mat, you should return them to where they belonged. The lazy river did tend to get clogged up with empty tubes, so instead of being able to enjoy a nice lazy float, you had to fight through the "blockages" of tubes.

I do feel the need to address two points with my review in regards to the negativity that was posted. Regarding the cleanliness of either the hotel rooms or the park, if everybody would do their part in picking up after themselves, the experience for everybody would be better. I don't know how many tables I saw people leave, taking their personal items but leaving their trash sitting there for the next person. Some had trash bins located almost next to the tables!
In regards to housekeeping, I also wonder how many guests think to leave a tip for the housekeeper. These hard-working men and women, making little more than minimum wage, have to deal with a lot, since it seems some guests think just because they are in a hotel room they think they don't have to treat the property with respect. You wouldn't allow your child to jump on the bed at home, why would you allow it at a hotel? We all know how a raise or a bonus is incentive to make us work harder, doesn't the same apply to housekeeping?

But back to the review on Fort Rapids - it is a good deal and a pleasant one-tank trip get-away, and we look forward to returning to the property in the future. It is our hope that the owners do take into consideration the need to update some of the rooms and public areas. It is a little gem of a waterpark and we would love to see it continue to be successful!

Room Tip: The Cisco room with bunk beds is a good choice when traveling with one or two children.
Fairmont, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The waterpark was great fun for our daredevil 8 year old and also for our somewhat cautious 5 year old. There was plenty of activities for both kids and neither were ready to leave at the end of the day even knowing they would be back the next morning. There were plenty of lifeguards to ensure safety and keep some semblance of order without being overbearing. The lodge did the right thing by outsourcing this aspect to an aquatic risk management company. Outside food and drink are not allowed in the waterpark, which isn't necessarily a bad thing however the cafe in the waterpark could not keep up with the demand for food. I recommend ordering your lunch before noon or you'll have at least a 45 minute wait. Also recommend you bring your own beach towels unless you get there before the park opens. The lockers inside the park (not the ones in the locker room) are a good touch and are secured with your own chosen code. Six dollars gets you a medium sized locker for the day. Best advice is to be there before the doors open to get a table, towels, and locker.
We had a tower room with bunk beds for the kids. I travel significantly and can say without hesitation the room was absolutely not worth the money. If I had to do it over, and could guarantee tickets to the park, I would not stay in any of the tower rooms. I heard from one of the guests staying in the villas that their lodging was nice. The bad: bathroom door only opened half way because it couldn't get past the commode; bathroom wallpaper flapping off the wall; cable to second TV ran just under the surface of the carpet; no vent flap over heating/cooling unit; mattress leaning significantly to one side; the price. The good: guaranteed tickets to waterpark; elevator ride away from waterpark.
Some of the negative reviews had commented about bad customer service however that was not our experience. Every staff member I had contact with, or asked something of, was very professional and courteous beginning with Aaron at the front desk. Every conversation was pleasant and included lots of "how can I help" "thank you" and "have a good day" so I was overall very pleased with the staff though the lodge could certainly use more staff members.

Room Tip: Pick the villa if you're traveling with more than one family. It you stay in the tower ask for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!