“Good Value for the Money” 4 of 5 stars

Comfort Suites Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4270 Sawyer Road, Columbus, OH 43219   |
Ranked #91 of 140 hotels in Columbus
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Value for the Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel during a recent business trip to Columbus. Overall, it's good value for the money: continental breakfast and Wi-Fi Internet are included in the rate, free parking, PC and printer in the lobby, pleasant and helpful staff. My room was reasonably quiet; even though it faced the airport, the noise was muffled and didn't disturb me. My non-smoking room was clean, but it did have a somewhat stale smell; perhaps it used to be a smoking room. This hotel doesn't have an elevator which may be a problem for seniors and people traveling with a lot of luggage--unless they could reserve a room on the ground floor in advance. Location: close to the airport and a 10-minute highway drive to downtown Columbus. Recommendation: 2.5 stars; a good hotel in the economy category.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Stayed for one night in the Jacuzzi Suite in July '09 as a one-day getaway and place to rest after taking in shopping and a movie at Easton Shopping Center.

Cleanliness & Rooms: The room itself was large in size, included a respectively large mini-refrigerator and microwave. All in all the room itself would have been great, that is if they took the time to clean the room properly. It felt as if you walked into a nursing home when we walked in the room, the smell was everywhere. Luckily, we had brought Oust with us just in case, which covered the smell up a bit, but it still hung around. Another problem was dust (& spiderwbes) in all the places not immediately discernible, i.e. behind the nightstand, on the air conditioner, it just felt it was cleaned for 5 minutes tops. The carpet also needed a cleaning and was a bit damp, not glaringly so but enough that I didn't feel comfortable walking around in my bare feet.

Service: Service was OK, I asked for a late check out (1 pm, instead of 12 pm), which the clerk said was perfectly fine. However, the next day we received 3 phone calls at noon, before finally answering and being told "You know check out is at 12 right." Then when we checked out the cleaning staff was at the counter, seemingly in a rush to get to our room, nevermind that our room looked like it was only cleaned for 5 minutes.

Location: The hotel is basically on the airport runways, I even thought my GPS was out of wack when it seemed we were driving right up to the Airport terminal. This, however seems like a good thing, especially if you are just trying to find a hotel before getting a flight or landing. There didn't seem to be much noise from flights, yes I could hear a couple landings, but it wasn't overly loud and they were few and far between. Also, Easton Shopping Center is only about 10-15 minutes away, and the same goes for Downtown Columbus.

Value: Seemed like a good value when I booked the hotel (139/night for a Jacuzzi Suite), but upon staying in the room I had been wishing I had spent the extra 20/night to stay at the new Cambria Suites at Polaris.

Overall: I would not recommend staying here, even location wise there are 2-3 hotels located right in the same spot, one of which likely has fully cleaned rooms.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and checked in Sunday night as was scheduled to be the for the week, i got bitten by bed bugs in room 213. In the morning when i woke up i was bitten all over. I went to see a local Dr. at the urgent care center and the doctor confirmed that it was bed bug bites. I immediately checked out of the hotel, and had to leave my suitcase and clothes there to avoid spreading the bugs to another hotel. the manger was supposed to call me about getting my money back for the night, which has yet to happen. The anti itch creams and doctor visit cost me far more then the room cost.
The wall paper in the shower was peeling and mildew was growing in the bathroom shower.

Will never stay at a Comfort Suites or Choice Hotel again. I have had better experiences at much cheaper hotels.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Ashland, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The hotel is very convenient to the airport, and overall is clean and well-kept. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was not as nice as I expected, the drain in the shower didn't work, old takeout was left in the fridge, there were patched areas in the wallpaper, and a crack in the window. The staff took care of the drain and the food when I let them know. The hotel is right next to the runway, so expect to hear some of the jets landing and taking off, especially when they reverse engines to slow upon landing. My young son really enjoyed watching the planes, he spent more time at the window than the TV! The pool was outdoors, not bad, pretty clean except for a lot of leaves in the water. There is no restaurant in the hotel, and not really anything close by except McDonalds, so be prepared to drive to Easton or another area to shop or eat. There is a LOT of road construction going on near the airport, it really confused my GPS and made it a little harder to get around, but if you follow the airport signs on the interstate you'll have no problem getting back to the hotel. From my experience, there are several iffy Comfort Inn/Suites in Columbus, this one is not bad. I'd stay there again if I got a good rate for the travel period I needed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Wadsworth, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

The desk personnel were great, as was the breakfast buffet help. The room was large, and the front lobby very impressionable. However, the carpeting in our room smelled like mildew. Because we got in very late, I mistakingly did not ask for another room. We noticed the hallway smelled the same, so I think possibly all the rooms in that particular hall had a problem. I thought I would get used to the smell, but I didn't. I did not sleep well, as a result. No one was at the front desk, to tell, when we left, so I filled out thier evaluation form. I received no correspondance from them. I'm afraid I will never use this hotel again.

A smaller problem was that the bathroom fan did not work, and after a shower, the mirror would not defog. That made putting on makeup and doing hair a real challenge!

• Stayed June 2009
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed here in July of 2009 for an overnight stay before a week-long trip to clearwater Beach, our fav place! This is BY far better than any other Comfort Suites that I have ever stayed at EVER! And i have stayed at about 6! The rooms are comfortable, beds big, service excellent, rooms HUGE, bathrooms elegant, location fantastic, close to nice restaurants, convenient to the airport with a free shuttle and a "Park Sleep Fly" package available. A great choice before a flight at the Airport. I RECCOMMEND!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Ripley, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

This is a great hotel near the Columbus Airport. The Staff was very helpful and the rooms were clean. The only downside to the property is that it is so close to the airport you can hear the planes taking off. But, then again, what do you expect from a hotel called "Comfort Suites Airport"? They have a shuttle service to the terminal and allow you to leave your car at the hotel (for so many days, you would have to check with the hotel for specifics). Overall, this is a great place to spend the night before an early flight, or crash for the night like we did after a late arrival.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Suites Airport? Share your experiences!