“Needs renovating” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4270 Sawyer Road, Columbus, OH 43219   |
Ranked #95 of 140 Hotels in Columbus
“Needs renovating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is mos def outdated.this is not like any of the comfort suites i have stayed in.the room smelled like mildew really bad.they switched me into another room.just needs a lot of major upgrades.i wont be back.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

You get what you expect at a place like this. To begin with, there's no elevator. Given that my room was on the second floor and I had several bags, this is just an annoyance. The room was small, but comfortable, and the bed was very comfortable. There was a light on a tall pole just outside my window. Because the opaque drapes don't close, I couldn't block it out. It was bearable, but not great.

Along with no elevator, there's no restaurant. So other than the complementary breakfast, you need to find your own food. As a business traveler, I frequently just want a quiet dinner by myself without having to go anywhere. I managed with delivered Chinese food.

Finally, although I was there for two nights, I had no maid service. I expect this was an oversight, but it speaks to the quality of the service, overall.

Overall, if you're heading to Columbus for a quick visit, and willing to stay near the airport (the noise wasn't at all bad), this is decent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is super close to the airport with a free 24 hour shuttle. Rooms are nice and comfortable but a tad overpriced in my opinion. I guess I paid for the convenient location. Would stay again if I could get lower room rate but this was all very last minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Maplewood, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here one night after flying into the Columbus airport. It is really close to the airport and I could occasionally here planes land and take off, but it was surprisingly quiet. The rooms were very clean and new, but my room showed quite a bit of wear and tear. There were a couple tiles in the bathroom that were completely loose.

The breakfast was fully stocked but the food was very average and everything appear to be made in a factory, like the eggs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Needed to come up from Columbus to catch a 6:00 am flight. The hotel is right by the airport, has an efficient shuttle (was there in five minutes). The room was basic but clean.

Breakfast was served too late, and the promised "take away" bag did not materialize, but I was happy with the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lake Villa, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had a meeting at this hotel so it was the one that was arranged for me. My flight arrived at 11:30am and I noticed by checking the website the hotel doesn't have check-in until 4pm. I ate lunch at the airport and then called to see about an early check-in. Jake answered the phone and looked up my reservation and saw that I could check-in when I arrived so he sent the shuttle over. After taking a few minutes to locate the shuttle parking, the shuttle was there and waiting. The hotel is walking distance from the terminal but it was raining so I took the shuttle anyway. Jake checked me in and I was all set and it was not even 1pm yet.

The property isn't brand new. My room showed signs of wear and tear. The was a large crack in the window along with some spots on the carpet and some caulking coming undone on the walls. I also believe there was an ant trap underneath the bathroom sink. I did not investigate. Another reviewer said the rooms were dark. They are. There are plenty of lamps but most are far from the entry light that is pretty dim itself. The bed creaked when I was unpacking but over night it didn't seem to bother me. The shower wouldn't stay hot. I had to constantly continue turning the dial but at the same time hoping the heater wouldn't kick in and scald me. It didn't, but the water, unfortunately, continued to cool.

The rooms aren't very soundproof but because the planes don't usually depart or arrive overnight, there was no problem being at an airport hotel. You could hear people walking down the halls and children. I was so tired that night so I slept too well to notice any problems.

Breakfast was not as good as some of the Choice Hotels I've been to. It was not replenished so there were some items missing. For a quick bite, it was great. The hotel did boast two different kinds of waffle mixes, original and spiced. Because I was flying after one night, I decided not to be adventurous, but I thought it was a good innovation above the usual waffle mix that frequents the Choice Hotel brands.

Service was great. I felt cared for by the staff. When I came down to the lobby to print my boarding passes, Jake asked me if everything was okay in my suite and if I needed anything. The folks behind the desk were always willing to help, especially recommending a restaurant close by other than McDonalds. They recommend the restaurant in the Hilton right across the street. A great recommendation too.

Overall, it was good for a night. For a vacation, I would pick somewhere a bit better and perhaps off airport property. The property needs a little touch up, but the staff are great.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the parking lot. Even numbered rooms face the north runway.