“Clean room before an early flight.” 4 of 5 stars

Comfort Suites Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4270 Sawyer Road, Columbus, OH 43219   |
Ranked #92 of 141 hotels in Columbus
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Clean room before an early flight.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Needed to come up from Columbus to catch a 6:00 am flight. The hotel is right by the airport, has an efficient shuttle (was there in five minutes). The room was basic but clean.

Breakfast was served too late, and the promised "take away" bag did not materialize, but I was happy with the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lake Villa, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had a meeting at this hotel so it was the one that was arranged for me. My flight arrived at 11:30am and I noticed by checking the website the hotel doesn't have check-in until 4pm. I ate lunch at the airport and then called to see about an early check-in. Jake answered the phone and looked up my reservation and saw that I could check-in when I arrived so he sent the shuttle over. After taking a few minutes to locate the shuttle parking, the shuttle was there and waiting. The hotel is walking distance from the terminal but it was raining so I took the shuttle anyway. Jake checked me in and I was all set and it was not even 1pm yet.

The property isn't brand new. My room showed signs of wear and tear. The was a large crack in the window along with some spots on the carpet and some caulking coming undone on the walls. I also believe there was an ant trap underneath the bathroom sink. I did not investigate. Another reviewer said the rooms were dark. They are. There are plenty of lamps but most are far from the entry light that is pretty dim itself. The bed creaked when I was unpacking but over night it didn't seem to bother me. The shower wouldn't stay hot. I had to constantly continue turning the dial but at the same time hoping the heater wouldn't kick in and scald me. It didn't, but the water, unfortunately, continued to cool.

The rooms aren't very soundproof but because the planes don't usually depart or arrive overnight, there was no problem being at an airport hotel. You could hear people walking down the halls and children. I was so tired that night so I slept too well to notice any problems.

Breakfast was not as good as some of the Choice Hotels I've been to. It was not replenished so there were some items missing. For a quick bite, it was great. The hotel did boast two different kinds of waffle mixes, original and spiced. Because I was flying after one night, I decided not to be adventurous, but I thought it was a good innovation above the usual waffle mix that frequents the Choice Hotel brands.

Service was great. I felt cared for by the staff. When I came down to the lobby to print my boarding passes, Jake asked me if everything was okay in my suite and if I needed anything. The folks behind the desk were always willing to help, especially recommending a restaurant close by other than McDonalds. They recommend the restaurant in the Hilton right across the street. A great recommendation too.

Overall, it was good for a night. For a vacation, I would pick somewhere a bit better and perhaps off airport property. The property needs a little touch up, but the staff are great.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the parking lot. Even numbered rooms face the north runway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ft. Bragg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

- unkept entry/lobby; dimly lit, dirty hallways.
- dirty carpet in room (pic attached).
- mildew smell from A/C.
- old scratched/nicked furniture (pic attached).
- dusty/dirty surfaces in room.
- dimly lit bathroom (had to move a lamp into bath to get adequate light).
- broken toilet seat cover.
- stained upholstery and bed cover.
- found a spider running up the wall in the room at the desk work area.
- room key card did not open the doors at the end of the hotel or at the back (only access is thru the front door; each staff member had a different story as to why the key card didn't work).
- no elevator in the building; stay away from the second floor if you can't carry luggage up the stairs.
-pile of wires/cords shoved under work desk (pic attached).
- very limited breakfast items.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Marietta, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The rooms are very pleasant - clean, modern and comfortable with a sofa and a desk. I always stay here when I'm flying out of Columbus airport. Provided you tell them at the time of the reservation (very important that you do - I do not book on line) you can park there free up to 5 nights. That saves a bundle on airport parking fees. A shuttle runs constantly to the airport and it's only about a 5 minute ride. Their breakfasts are great as well.I made them 4 star instead of 5 because they have no elevator. If you have a lot of bags ask them for a ground floor room when making your reservation.

Room Tip: They have no elevator so if you have a lot of bags request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night because we were attending a friend's wedding nearby. It seemed that everything that could go wrong did...
- The first room we were given smelled moldy and disgusting. We asked for a change and after receiving some dirty looks from the front desk staff, we finally got one.
- The new room had a non-functional TV. We called down, but the front desk phone was busy. It turned out they had it off the hook! They asked to come down and get new batteries for the remote. That didn't help either. We went and got a new remote from the front desk. That didn't help either. Finally, someone came up to the room and told us that the TV had been plugged into a non-operational socket.
- The air conditioning in the room was turned on really high when we came in. It was freezing! We turned it off, and then when we tried to turn it on again, it made a horrible grinding noise. We ended up just keeping the fan on because the noise was preventing us from sleeping.
- In addition to the noise from the air conditioning unit, we also had to deal with the noise of a door in the hallway that led to the main stairwell. There was no seal under our room door and so we could hear EVERY TIME someone walked in or out through the hallway door.
- The water was barely warm for the morning shower. I guess 8:30 am is too late?
- The breakfast space is tiny with only 4-6 tables available.
This hotel is horrible and they're getting away with it because they are so close to the airport. Don't stay here!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellmore, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were stuck in Port Columbus airport, so Delta put us up in this hotel. I would never stay here again, the only benefit is that the entire hotel is non-smokling. The rooms were dirty, bathroom had water leak stains and what i think was black mold. the rooms are also dark.

The front desk clerk was very helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Comfort Suites Hotel is in a complex of other hotels and on Port Columbus property. Our hotel was on a corner lot and sits parallel to one of airport's busy runways. I spent 20 years in the USAF and it was delightful to be conveniently close to watch aircraft arriving and departing. Spent some time swimming in the outdoor pool and walking around the area.

Room Tip: My room faced the runway, and though partially hidden by a nearby tree, could see aircraft landing...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Suites Airport? Share your experiences!