“Great Lodge Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in College Corner
Columbus, OH
“Great Lodge Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I entered into my stay wary based on some of the reviews I saw on TripAdvisor. However, I was delightfully suprised. We booked a room with a lake view for a last minute Labor Day weekend getaway. We were greeted politely by the front desk staff. After unloading in the room, the front desk called to see if we were satisfied and if there was anything else we needed.

The view was very nice. The balcony had two nice patio chairs and a table, prime for enjoying the view. The wood paneling inside the room did bring back memories of grandma's house; however the beds and bedding were fresh and upgraded. Cable TV (including HBO), DVR, and VHS were readily accessible in room. Each room comes with refrigerator. The bathroom, sinks, and tub could use some remodeling, but were by no means unacceptable.

The lodge as a whole had a unique theme/design and somewhat dated, but I felt the environment lended itself to what it was--a park lodge. Cute and quaint. It is not meant to be a 5-star resort. However, plenty of activities were available throughout the park and area, and the front desk was very good at offering assistance in making plans.

The restaurant was mediocre in terms of service. The breakfast buffet was certainly not the best I had ever had, but filled me up for a day of outdoor activities for a reasonable price.

The outdoor pool is large with plenty of sunbathing space. The indoor pool area was not very ventilated, and exercise machines were located in this room. But with all the activities outdoors at the park, I doubt many come to the lodge to use the elliptical. I do wish there had been a hot tub.

The stay was very enjoyable and the hotel was completely booked the weekend I was there. I recommend the lodge for an outdoor getaway at Hueston Woods.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Mitchell, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The resort has not been updated in many, many years. We were very disappointed. The price we paid for a suite was unreal for what we received. Cob webs on the doors, dirty old carpet. The lodge is dark. The food terrible in the lodge. Stay in Indiana parks if you want a great experience. Will never be back to Hueston Woods Resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Meeting coordinator was awesome, staff were very attentive and the conference room was perfectly functioning for our meeting. 11 staff members stayed overnight in very pleasant, clean and comfortable rooms all with a view of the lake. Dinner and food were great and other people in our company use this facility often.

If you are looking for a stay at the Hilton do not come here but if you are looking for great prices, good staff in a charming rustic a atmosphere you will be very pleased with Hueston Woods lodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Bartlett, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Bartlett, IL

My husband and I just returned from a one night stay at the Hueston Woods Lodge. I graduated from Miami University 35 years ago and have not been back to Oxford since. We stayed in a 2 room suite that had both good and bad qualities. First the good. There were 2 very large plasma TV's that my husband especially enjoyed (not too many channels but good reception) We found the king size bed very comfortable and the bathrooms were undated. The larger of the two baths had a "huge" whirlpool tub and very nice marble floors and walls. The second bath (which we originally thought was only a half bath until we were inside and closed door ) had a shower but almost nonexsistant counter space. The living room had a nice wet bar with a good sized refridgerator, 2 balconies and a beautiful lake view.

Now the bad. As others have implided the Lodge itself is very dated. It doesn't look like anything has been done to it since the last time I was there 35 years ago. The first thing you notice when you drive up are the "crazy" turkey vultures that hang out on the A-frame roof, They are interesting to a point but a bit creepy. The Lobby was cozy and we (unlike others) found the reception friendly and courteous. As we walked down the halls to our suite we passed thru the indoor pool area which also appeared dated and wreaked of chlorine. The empty outdoor pool seemed to be the original 1960 vintage. Now our suite. There were cigerette burns on the bedroom carpet, the lamp shade was torn, there were not one but two very unsightly and dusty fake ficus trees and the bedroom furniture was "miss match" . I also thought the flow between the 2 rooms was very awkward. I though there should have been a larger more centered doorway between the 2 rooms instead of the connector door at the extreme far end .

We had dinner in town but we did have the buffet breakfast in the dining room the following morning. Again the decor of the dining room seemed dated with some "strange" Indian pictures on the walls. The service was good but the food was just OK. There was a good variety but the scrambled eggs were tasteless and the waffles were just plain horrible. We did have an after dinner drink in the very small lounge that didn't open until 5:30pm (on the weekend) . Again the service was good but the atmosphere was definitely lacking.

As others have commented if we were to go back to Oxford we would probably stay in town at the Holiday Inn.

• Liked — the lake view
  • Disliked — outdated atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Have been going to the lodge for a number of years as we went to Miami for events, but we had never spent the night, just enjoyed the views of the lake and the cozy dinning experience, so we decided to stay here this weekend rather than the usual chains in Oxford for which we usually stay. To give you an idea of how it went.........My wife said she would have rather slept in my work truck than to go back again.

Lady at the desk upon check in was extremely rude about the $150 fee if we were caught smoking in our non-smoking room. My wife and I about lost it when we had our 2 year old right there and will be honest, we don't look like the smoking type. She had no suggestions, or welcomes or what you get in most hotels. As always, the lobby though was pretty and welcoming with the pretty sunset on the lake. As we meandered down the halls, we thought things looked ok. Then we tried to get in the room.

The door would not lock/shut behind us unless we slammed it, the decor was from the 80's, maybe 70's. We could live with that, it was the rusted celings in the bathrooms, faucets that turned different ways, stadium style toilet flusher, rusted sink drains, formica counters that were peeling apart, broken power button on the tv, disgusting brown ice bucket from the Brady Bunch, 1 bar of soap for bath and sink, and then nightfall.......

We asked for a crib, we got a pack and play not set up, and then we tried to set it up, it was broke, so we had a two year old in our bed.......nothing like coming home to a room late at night with your two year old and no bed for them, so she had the luxury of sleeping in ours.........to decribe it best, go rent National Lampoons Vacation (the first one...1985) The bed you put quarters in, where they moved to the floor...that was it. Each time I'd turn over, you'd hear springs popping, and the mattress was about hitting the floor. I am 5-10 180, I am not a big guy.

In summary, I was ready to drive home at midnight but my wife won with the concern over too many deer on the road. Even our two year old daughter picked up it was not good. The room made the Red Roof Inn I used to stay in before I had a family look like a 5 star. I'd advise to do dinner at the lodge and go stay at the Hampton Inn in Oxford which oh by the way is 20 bucks cheaper with breakfast included.

• Liked — Views and surroundings you can't argue are great
  • Disliked — the room, get a tent
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winston Salem, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

I stayed at Hueston Woods in a cottage while visiting my sons at Miami. It was Homecoming weekend and a cottage was all that was available. I had my youngest son, 12, with me for a "guys" weekend.

Overall, we had a nice time. The rustic wood paneled cottage is small but clean and featured a kitchenette, cable tv, small dinning table, couch, easy chair and a gas, ventless fireplace. The double bed/single bed bunk arrangement is the only way to get multiple beds in the small area. Counting the couch (which didn't fold out), I think any more than four people staying overnight would be out of the question and 4 is stretching it. The bathroom had a standup stall shower with a draw curtain, toilet and sink. Again, there isn't much room for anything else but the water was hot and everything was clean although dated. Outside there are a firepit and grill but we didn't use them.

The setting of the park is very nice and well kept. The cottage we were in was close to Acton Lake and with the leaves changing, it made for a peaceful and enjoyable stay. My 12 year old thought the whole set up was "cool" and a nice place to hang out with Dad. I would stay there again but the cost was a little pricey. If you main purpose is visiting Oxford/Miami, stay in town if you can. Or if you looking for something a little different, stay in a cottage at Hueston Woods.

• Liked — rustic setting
  • Disliked — a little pricey
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We recently booked this lodge to have a family getogether. From the website the lodge looked beautiful, however it is very dated and in need of major renovations. We booked 4 rooms for 2 nites. The wall paper in our bathroom was partialy peeled off, the water in the shower went from ice cold to scalding..dangerous for kids. AC blasted out ice cold air, but only on one setting, no thermostat settings.No housekeeping for one of the rooms on the 2nd day.,The indoor pool area was dark and drab. The outdoor pool was nice, but the baby pool had chunks of cement broken out and paint chips floating in the water. The area leading to the pool dressing room was littered with trash and cigarette butts, and the area itself was filthy with overflowing trash. The horshoe pits were overgrown with weeds and equiptment rusted. Cornhole boards warped, one set was usable. Staff at the desk was ok in check-in, told us if we wanted a luggage carrier that there might be some on the second floor, no offer to get them for us, Not friendly at check out either. Very dissapointed and will never go back.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — need for renovations
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!