“Good place for a night or two” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Clyde
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1363 W McPherson Highway, Clyde, OH 43410   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clyde
Parma Heights, Ohio
“Good place for a night or two”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Being that I am originally from the area, I KNOW there are not alot of places to stay within a 30 mins radius and I am aware that Clyde is a small town, and some of the previous reviews were not quite correct one their assumptions about dining. There ARE places to eat within 15 mins of this hotel, you just need to know where to go for what you want. Clyde doesn't have many sit down style restaurants, so the only option is to go to Fremont which is too the west. I think travelers should research all options before booking a hotel, which include figuring out where they can eat before booking a place.. that way you won't be disappointed and blame the hotel!

Now onto this stay. First, I booked this room on a AAA rate direct with the hotel, which saved me approx $15. I also chose this hotel because it was close to my family's house becuase we expected to be there late, and we didnt want to drive very far, let alone home for 2 hours.
I chose this hotel becuase of the discount and originally we thought we were bringing our beagle, but we changed our minds about that.
Here is one of the first problems I ran into, I tried to book a king bed room online with 2 adults and 1 child, but the website would not give me the king room option when I had selected two adults.. I found this rather odd. The site said some of the rooms had sofa beds and this king room was to come with a desk, free wifi, and a microwave & fridge. We prefer this type of room, and it seemed a 2 full beds did not have these options, so I opted to pay the higher rate for the king room, but I called the desk direct to confirm if the kings rooms had a sofa bed and what did I need to do to request it becuase it was not an option on the website. The desk clerk stated they had 1 rooms available with sofa beds and to request it I had to make a note once I booked the room. The phone call lasted less than 5 mins. I called the nite before our arrival for this info. (this will b explained in a minute). I booked the room online just as I was told.
Saturday am I called to confirm our reservation and to let them know we were not bring a dog (some reviews said they charged an additional deposit for this and I did not want to have it on my card). I verified the room would have a sofa bed, to which the clerk stated yes, and this was an additional $10 charge. I said I was not informed of this last nite when I had called about that availability. Also I was told that there is a charge PER adult in the room, yes even for a KING bed! It was $5. she stated I didn't book the room properly to reflect the guest coming, to which I explained a KING room was not an option when choosing 2 adults, which I found to be very WEIRD as a couple usually travels with a child! If I didn't want to share a bed, I would have chosen TWO DOUBLES.. duh! I told her the website didn't CLARIFY ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES for the sofa bed nor the rate per person and she claimed if I would have entered it right it would have.. I said since the sofa bed wasn't an option to add how would I have been able to do it right? Needless to say I was very frustrated and said that she better let her manager know that the clerk the previous night did not relay their policy clearly and she stated she was the manager and she would be willing to wave the sofa bed charge since we would be checking in within a few hours. She also stated she would email "Media Services" to let them know about my "glytch" .

So the customer service was a little lacking but in the end, it was not a bad stay if u just need a place to lay your head for the night. They have a pool, but we didn't get to use it with our family gathering. We woke up and went to breakfast, which was your typical continental fare.. muffins.. donuts.. toast.. bagels.. cereal. they also had a waffle maker.. They had boiled eggs and some apples & oranges. I wished they would have some yougurt, or more cereal selections. Also I found it a bit annoying to have tiny plastic cups for juice, i had to refrill it 4 times to get your average cup of juice. Also there was tea & hot cocoa packets along with coffee. I would say it was average stuff, tho some other guests said the waffles were really good (Im not a waffle eater myself). If you would rather have something else, you would have to go to the MCd's in Clyde (1 min east) or there is a Denny's, Mcd's, Burger king, and some local restuarants that serve breakfast in fremont only 10-15 mins west on 20. If you really want a good breakfast, drive to fremont its worth it, just make sure you know where you are going! can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with the area.

Our child ended up staying at my brother's so we didn't even open the sofa bed. Our bed was comfy and we watched some tv before sleeping. I found the bathroom to be a bit tiny and the tub was on the smaller side, but we had no problems. Sink was outside the bathroom and is always a plus in a hote. We found the room to be clean and spacious and it had a computer desk and plenty of outlets for plugging in our electronics.
The location is very convienant between clyde & fremont, and is pretty easy to find if you are looking a place outside of the sandusky area also (tho there are plenty of places in sandusky to stay). I would stay in this place again, even tho there were more charges than expected, only becuase I ue AAA and I know the rates are higher in fremont.

Its not a fancy place by any means but its alot better than some of the buget motels in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Gallipolis, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Was disappointed. Room was to be a non-smoking room, but definitely the room had been smoked in. (Other relatives said the same for their room) Also, hair was in corners of bathroom floor. UGH! $120. a night should offer more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Our experience was just ok. Asked for a non-smoking and had ash trays and old cig smoke smell, inside of microwave was nasty, had a fridge put in the room for insulin use and it wasnt even plugged in to be getting cold, towels were rough and scratchy, toilet was leaking all over the floor and was told that maintenance would be in to fix it, but they never showed and 2 lightbulbs were burned out in lamps. Whirlpool/hot tub (if you want to call it that) was not working and the "heated" pool water was freeeeezing! We booked the room through Hotels.com and when we went to check out was told that we were not able to be given a bill/statement showing what we were actually charged. Was told that what Hotels.com charges was diff than what they would charge and that they would be in trouble for showing us their charges. We just wanted to make sure what we were told we would be billed was the true amount. The lady at the desk got huffy and said to take our problem up with Hotels.com and not her. So, if you don't book through the hotel, don't expect to be given a statement of any kind and don't dare ask for one either, unless you like a huffy lady in your face.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Houston Tx.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

We stayed at this Red Roof Inn for 3 days. The front desk employees at this Clyde OH location are the nicest group of people. Friendly and efficent especially Terry. Our room was clean and comfortable. The cleaning staff were accommodating to our schedule and courteous which we appreciated since we were there on business. They allowed our dog "Duke" to stay which also was important to us. This was our home for 3 days and we slept good!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
New Paltz, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

I have stayed at this Red Roof Inn many times as my husband and I have family that live in the area. The rooms are always clean, and the staff friendly. They have an indoor pool which is nice. We always bring our dog with us when we travel there and they are very accommodating. I can't remember if they charge extra for pets, but if they do it was a very reasonable rate and since it is hard to find a place that will allow pets, it's worth it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

after reading reviews of a hotel i had previously booked i had to get out of that booking so i looked up hotels that were with in a 30 mile radius of Cedar Point and i found an opening here, i was very happy to get there when i got inside and saw it clean and tidy, stocked properly, looked safe, very friendly staff, it was still only about a 25 min drive to cedar point but it was better than our alternative.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Most RR'S I've stayed in are dark with very poor lighting in all areas. This one is very different very bright rooms, roomy rooms, VERY CLEAN. Seems to have a personal touch from somewhere to make it feel as if they want you to be "at home". Great front desk staff, very curtious, and helpful. Free high speed, pets allowed with a 25.00 refunable fee per no beds being chewed up!! Plenty off grass for fido. Very satisfied, and if back in the area, will definately stop here again. No pillow top matresses but nice comfy clean rooms. No in room coffe pots :(

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn Clyde? Share your experiences!