“Red Roof Needs to go Non-Smoking....Now!” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Clyde
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1363 W McPherson Highway, Clyde, OH 43410   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clyde
Toledo
“Red Roof Needs to go Non-Smoking....Now!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is our second time staying at this Red Roof. When we first stayed here in 2011, the building was almost brand new and was very clean. I believe I gave it 3 stars back then.

But three years later, it looked like it had aged ten. Most notable and disturbing was the definite smoke odor on the 3rd floor. Indeed the front desk confirmed that that floor has smoking rooms.

While the room itself was odor free, no doubt there were carcinogens there. It gets in the ventilation system, gets tracked in from the hallway carpet, even in the laundry. What I find unfathomable is that the owners of this hotel would allow smoking in their brand new building at all. Don't they know that they will have to REPLACE THE CARPET, WALLPAPER, CURTAINS AND MATTRESSES MUCH MUCH EARLIER THAN A SMOKE-FREE HOTEL BECAUSE THE PUTRID SMOKE, NICOTINE, AND ASH WILL RUIN EVERYTHING SO MUCH SOONER?

The owners of this hotel need to step up and ban smoking at this building before it gets any worse. If they won't do it then the Red Roof Inn Corporation needs to ban smoking company wide. Some other Red Roofs are already smoke free, why not this one?

I can't understand why they have to subject 80% of their guests to satisfy the cravings of the selfish and inconsiderate 20% of the population that smokes. If they ever did they would save the lungs of tens of thousands of children and other non-smoking guests...as well as save millions of dollars.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker complain to the Red Roof Corporation that you would like this building to go...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel after a long day of railfanning in Greenwich, OH. The hotel was very good about scheduling, as we didn't get to the room until until very late at night and they were very accommodating. Also, the breakfast is a great deal, and checkout time isn't until noon, so there is no rush in the mornings. Finally, the hotel as a decent view of the tracks on the backside of the buildings which may be of interest to some people.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
0578K_Ritter, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Shaun S

Thank you for taking the time to leave wonderful comments about our location. We strive to make sure that we meet all expectations and exceed them. It was wonderful to hear that we accommodated your schedule and needs. We hope that if you are in the area again you will allow us to be your host.

Karen Ritter
Red Roof Inn Manager
Candler, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

When we first get there, someone had canceled the reservation I had and then they make a new reservation and charge us for that too, when we got to the room I found a dead b roach in the corner of the room, the pool is not kept heated like they say ice cold ask them to turn it up and they don't or claim they do, my daughter got hurt by another guest child I reported it and the vandalism to my care to customer care and the police and after I do, I try to go get another night and to my surprise management decides to the desk clerk we have to go. Plus after housekeeping cleaned my room my the 2nd day my gold band ring my grandmother gave me before she died went missing and when I was told I had another night add on I didn't, and the people at the desk at night are rude, it is so noisy that it kept my baby up, dont recommend swimming in the pool at all is is to cold and they don't get after older kids for rough housing and hurting other kids and allow you to be harassed by guest, they don't even make your bed and forget to give you towels or fresh sheets and the popcorn taste stale and the breakfast is piss poor and they stare you down while your getting breakfast made me feel nervous and uncomfortable, no one is at the desk when u need them at all, the one night worker is rude and always has a atitude and the person who told us we had to leave was rude and with our car getting vandalized, not a good stay don't recommend this hotel to anyone they are not family friendly and you have to do there job as in cleaning your room and changing the sheets and getting your own towels, and the fitness room had a foul smell and we couldn't even get the key to the treadmill because no desk clerk was at the desk, don't recommend this hotel to anyone especially if they have kids.

• Stayed February 2014
0578K_Ritter, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Sassypants86

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I'm sorry your experience was less then desirable. We take comfort, safety and security of all our guest very seriously and work closely with the local authorities to maintain a safe environment our guest expect. Again, I appreciate your feedback.

Karen Ritter
General Area Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We visit the area regularly to see my wife's family and to photograph weddings in the region. The staff always treats us extremely well. They go out of their way to "do the little things" without being asked. We've arrived after a long day of shooting and they have purposely put us on the first floor because they know we have equipment we don't want to leave in the car. In our opinion, the nicest Red Roof Inn we have ever stayed at. Breakfast choice is very good for an inexpensive hotel. Pool is nice. :) Haven't had any problems with cleanliness, odor, noise etc. Have been there in the past when they were pretty busy... lots of kids, etc. Wasn't a problem for us.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
0578K_Ritter, Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
We like to think of our customers as family so anything we can do to make your stay easier we do. You are always such a pleasure when you stay here and the pictures you both take are incredible you really capture the feeling for the couples on their special day. I hope the trip home wasn't to bad and we look forward to seeing you soon. I'm sorry I missed you this trip but hopefully next time I will see you. Until next time safe travels and the best of health are being sent your way.
Manager Clyde Red Roof Inn
Bellevue, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We recently needed a comfortable place to stay during the most recent cold snap and ice storm. We were unfortunate to have busted water pipes and flooded house. Red Roof made us feel at home. We had to stay for 3 nights and we were very comfortable and made to feel at home. They also rescued us back in July of 2013 when we had a tornado strike Bellevue.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
0578K_Ritter, Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
We are glad we could help you out in tough times. We try our best to make everyone feel at home and safe with us. It is nice to know our hard work is appreciated. Maybe next time you can visit us on a nice getaway and not during a disaster at your home. Everyone needs a little getaway once in a while where you do not have to clean up after themselves!:)
Clyde Red Roof Inn Manager
Hammondsport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

we selected this hotel, even though it was few miles off the turnpike, because it was pet friendly and had an indoor pool. We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel and nice desk attendant. After several hours in the car, my daughter was excited to jump in the pool...even though it was 10 degrees outside, the pool was heated to 95 degrees! It felt awesome!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having pets and children enjoy their trips. If you are back in the area we hope that you will remember us and stay again.
We look forward to seeing you again, and many safe travels wherever the road may take you.
Manager Clyde Red Roof Inn
Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I asked for a quiet non smoking room away from elevators and stairwells. I got a room right next to stairwell. The door slammed shut all night long.The hallway reeked of smoke and was creeping into our room. My bedding reeked of perfume. So I'm not sure it was even washed.

• Stayed December 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do try to accommodate all guests requests for room types but unfortunately some times it is not possible. Half of our hotel is smoking. In the future please request a room on the second floor and we will do our best to accommodate you. Our second floor is completely non smoking. We are on the desk 24hours and try our best to resolve any issues guests have. The perfume smell may have been the new air freshener we have been using some of the housekeepers were spraying it on the beds, but I have addressed the issue and it is no longer being done. Again I apologize for your unpleasant stay, but I do hope you will give us another try.
Red Roof Inn Clyde Manager

Been to Red Roof Inn Clyde? Share your experiences!