“Okay-not great” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
cleveland, ohio
“Okay-not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here on a recent Saturday after hearing Doug Katz (Fire) had opened the diners. Glad to hear he has taken over because he does a good job at his other restaurant. I do think this diner needs a bit of work. We arrived at about 5:30 pm on a Saturday and was glad to see we did not have to wait. Last time I stopped in here we were told the wait was 35-40 minutes so we left and went up Lee Rd to another restaurant. I really don't expect such a long wait at a diner. Anyway, we were the first people to sit at the counter but not the first to place our order. For some reason the waitress went over to two other couples before she came over to us. But diners are usually pretty fast so I didn't expect a problem. I ordered a tuna fish sandwich and my sister ordered an omelette---items that I do not expect to take too long. I only saw two servers and one busboy, and a manager who floated around talking to everyone. I think he could pitch in and help a bit because this place seems very understaffed. Yet there were two or three people at the check in station. Almost thirty minutes after we placed our order we still did not have our food. When we finally got the waitress to come over she wanted to tell us how busy they were. Isn't that the ideal for every restaurant--full tables and lots of diners?? I felt the servers, and probably the kitchen, were overwhelmed, and the slow service was creating a backlog of diners and also people waiting for tables. I have always found diners to have really fast service and fast turnover of customers. That is not the case at The Katz Club so be sure to get there early and leave lots of time for waiting. FYi--the tuna was good, but not great, and could have used some celery or almonds or something to make it stand out a bit. My sister said her omelette was good, but it was just two eggs with cheddar cheese and a few mushrooms. Not very complicated. I'll try The Katz Club again and hope the speed up the timing.

• Visited June 2013