“Quaint and modern with a nice menu selection” 4 of 5 stars

216-932-3060
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bodega Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mayfield Road
Transit: The RTA and shuttle buses from University Circle area frequent Coventry rd. Local Taxis also are available.
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
“Quaint and modern with a nice menu selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We headed in on a Tuesday (1/2 price tapas) to try some of the food, as we have never been to Bodega before. While I sort of expected it, you can not use a Restaurant.com certificate in conjunction with the tapas special (although that is not printed anywhere on the certificate).

We ordered four tapas selections to share. All of them was delicious and 'different' in its own way. The escargot is out of its shells and in a very tasty broth. The seafood ceviche was a great 'summer' snack in that it was light and had a citrus flavor. The tuna tartar was very good, also. The calamari, while cooked well, had a little more breading on it than I normally prefer, but it was still tasty, especially with the wasabi honey sauce. The four tapas plates were plenty of food for the two of us.

The staff was friendly and attentive. The decor was modern and comfortable. Definitely a nice place to grab a meal or some drinks, especially if you are in the mood to try some different flavors.

• Visited July 2013

Cleveland, Ohio
“Don't order any seafood here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I chose to sit outside on the patio despite the heat b/c we enjoy being outside. That was our first mistake as the restaurant dumpsters happened to be right next to the fence where we were sitting and we were bitten by flies during our entire dining experience. I think the flies were also attracted to the un-cleared dishes that remained on our table for an extended period of time. The wait staff was extremely friendly and polite though both were very new and not well versed on menu recommendations or wine offerings. Nonetheless, we tried the shrimp au gratin as an appetizer. It would have been amazing if the shrimp had not been overcooked. They were also very small, salad shrimp which are easy to overcook, buried beneath a delicious bed of rich, thick cheese and creamy goodness.

I tried the half price martinis and was not wowed at all but we did order wine later which was nice. For dinner, I opted for the seafood bouillabaisse and was very disappointed. Although the flavor of the dish was outstanding, the scallops were so over cooked I could barely get a knife or fork through them and they were very rubbery and chewy. A nicely cooked scallop should be easily cut with a fork and not chewy. The shrimp was equally as overcooked and the lobster was not far behind. The mussels were the only saving grace but for $38 the seafood should have been perfectly cooked. I don't think this restaurant knows how to cook seafood and I would not order this dish again. Actually, I would be hesitant to order any seafood from this menu again but I only eat seafood which means I would have a hard time finding anything else. On the bright side, my husband ordered the filet au poivre and despite asking for it to be cooked medium and it coming out medium well, he said the dish was great and full of flavor.

I think this restaurant has potential but they need to first update their online menu as it is not accurate in regards to the menu content or pricing. They also need to prepare their food properly if they are going to charge such high prices. In addition, if they claim to be upscale, they need to be upscale in all areas, not just the menu pricing. Ifyou don't mind high prices and food that is average or overcooked, give it a try.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“First sampling makes me want to return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I visited Bodega as part of "Dishcrawl". The chef/owner had homemade hummus, mussels with marinara, lobster macaroni, crudites and wings. I am not a wing eater (anywhere) so I can't speak from personal experience, but i heard good things. The mussels were fabulous. Chef had removed them from the shells and they were tossed with marinara, served chilled. Delicious. Hummus was homemade, a smidge oily, but very flavorful. I had a beer, my friends had martinis from the extensive martini listing; looked like a decent wine list, too. I would return to sample again. I can't speak to service or cost, since this was a dish-crawl tasting. They have outdoor, but I stayed inside.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good, but could be great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had several of the tapas that were half off on Thursdays as were bottles of wine. A word to the wise: the tapas are not just small plates but can be meals in themselves. Many of the dishes come with fries. Make sure you understand this before you order. We ended up with way too many fries; which by the way were very good. The mussels were some of the best we have tried. The Moroccan Kobe beef sliders were to die for. The calamari was rubbery and not edible. They did take the calamari off the bill. The lobster bisque and lobster mac and cheese were OK but we have had better. Be careful, the service was a little slow. Armed with eduction from our first visit, we will be back to try other dishes and also reorder ones that wowed us.

• Visited March 2013
CLEVELAND HEIGHTS
“Terrific Happy Hour!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

On Tuesday's tapas is half price and there are drink specials. The lobster mac and cheese is a dinner in itself. And it is the best I ever ate. In the past they have had lamb lollipops,lobster nachos and eggplant rollups. Out of this world.

• Visited July 2012