“Great location, price and amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Grand Rapids, Michigan USA
“Great location, price and amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My mother and I stayed at the Wyndham Cleveland, OH as my father was having two heart surgeries at the Cleveland Clinic in mid October.

We checked the hospital social services and on-line services for the best options for us. Everyone recommended the Intercontinental Suites hotels (2 of them next door and attached) to the Clinic, but prices were steep - lows of $125 on Fri/Sat up to mid $200-300 per night weekly. These are WITH clinic discounts. The Cleveland Clinic Guest House had terrible reviews and everyone kept telling us to stay clear of it so, we did. Other hotels were an option (Ritz, Marriott, Hilton, etc) and some were real nice, but super pricey or too far away. Our goal was to be close to the clinic, in a safe location and at a decent price as our stay would be for about a week.

We locked into the Wydham as they didn't play games. Straight $84.00 a night for clinic patients/families and that was for as long as you needed to be there. We booked 6 nights to start and added on two more during our stay with no issues. The front desk staff were always friendly and helpful on issues with our stay. Tax runs you 15.25% in the city on top of this cost. Also, you have to pay $20 a day to use your car in/out of valet. So, count on a minimum of about $117.00 a day to stay here. This hotel is about 3 miles from the clinic. A straight drive from the hotel to the clinic by following Euclid Avenue. The hotel is near restaurants, theaters, stores and Cleveland State University. It felt well lit, safe and sound.

We had room #716 - it faced the back side of the theater district. Nothing much to look at, but we weren't there for the views. Our room had two double beds, work desk and chair area, credenza for t.v. and clothes and a separate standard bathroom with one sink, big counter, tub/shower and toilet area. Housekeeping was solid in making fresh beds each day (we asked for it), extra bath linens/supplies (we asked for this too) and tidied the room up nicely. I would say the room has been re-done a few years earlier and was in ok shape. Over-all, clean, comfortable and tidy. Beds were VERY comfortable and NO bed bugs :-)

Valet is quick to get your car in and out of the storage garage so, that's a plus for the cost of holding your vehicle and getting to and from places quickly and not having to wait or find parking yourself.

We typically gave a daily tip to the valet drivers and housekeeping staff. Not required, but it's always good to thank those who make your stay pleasant.

We know the hotel had a laundry area upstairs, a pool, hot tub and fine dining restaurant, but we did not use these things. No time as we weren't there for travel and pleasure.

We were going to eat at the restaurant one night as it got good reviews and has a fine chef, but we decided we didn't want to pay about $30 a person for just a main meal. We ate in our room instead. We ordered room service 2x during our stay. The food came quickly - within 10-15 minutes of the order and was hot and fresh. We got burgers and fries one night and they were GREAT - juicy, well cooked and super tasty. Fries too. Another night it was crab cakes (just so-so) and chicken panini - ok, but nothing to write home about. The servers put a gratuity right on the bill when they deliver to your room so, don't give them an extra tip unless you mean it. I made that mistake the first night.

There is a small area called Little Italy only a few miles to the west of the Clinic off Mayfield Rd. It has a good dozen old fashioned Italian restaurants open each night and locals go there in droves. It is well worth a short drive to go here and pick a different place each night. Different decor, waitstaff, menus and deserts. We ate at Mia Bella (excellent!) and Guarino's (not bad, waitress was a crabby grandma like lady). Food not bad. Consider this as an alternative to the areas near the hotel for dining if you can.

Parking at the Cleveland Clinic will run you $12 a day for valet - consider it for ease and convenience. Days of surgery and/or discharge, you get a pass for free parking so, it works out nice.

Over-all, we would stay at The Wyndham again. Good prices, clean hotel and good service. Really worked out good for a clinic stay and to be close to downtown too.

By the way, my dad did well and is home resting up.. Thanks to the Wynham and Clinic for all they did for us.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed at this hotel this weekend and am writing the reveiw as it's fresh in my mind. Arrivial went great and we were met by Kermit who I can not say enough great things about, he even insisted on putting fresh ice in our cooler. Check in was a breeze, and we were off to our 14th floor room. Our room was nice and clean and it did have a smart chair. The bathroom was stocked with Blue Spa products and ample towels and washclothes. The bar downstairs has decent happy hour specials Sunday-Friday. Overall I did enjoy our stay, the breakfast buffet was good (the waffles are a must) staff was very friendly-Kermit is the real stand out here, I hope the hotel realizes what a gem they have here. Our room was clean and housekeeping was great. The parking was alittle steep at $20.00 a day, but the valets were also friendly and prompt.
The cons:
This city still has some rehab needed. There are MANY vacant buildings all around the hotel and really not that much to do. The food choices are very limited and many are about 4 blocks from the hotel. The hotel is very very close to all of the "shows".
If I ever find myself in Cleveland again I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HospitalityMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Dear aconner08,

Thanks for the kind comments you have posted regarding our staff, accommodations, and amenities. We appreciate your feedback.

Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

The price you pay for the rooms at this hotel are solely based on its location. Walking distance to ALL major sporting venues and the like. I checked in and did not receive the room I booked when I purposely booked it OVER a month in advance. The room was spacious because it was a room for handicapped patrons and it wasn't cleaned throughly because I found a female undergarment laying on the floor by the curtains. For some reason our television didn't have a remote and it was the small tube regular T.V. Not that expect a plasma for 87.50 per night but the least they could do is upgrade their entertainment. Cable was the bare minimum with 1 movie channel. The room had 1 tiny..tiny trash can IN THE BATHROOM. Our room did not have a tub probably due to it being handicapped but the lady at the desk failed to notify us of that. I would of loved to soak in a tub after a 6 hour flight from Cali. She also failed to tell us that if we had our room key cards next to a cell phone or a credit card they would be demagnetized. So we spent 2 days going back to the desk to get them redone BEFORE they told us this important information. Oh by the way I was required to show my I.D every time I needed them magnetized even though whenever I walked in the lobby they said "welcome back" and my stay was for 5 days. Valet parking should have been included with the room. Enough said. I NEVER tipped the valet and I'm never that cheap but 20 bucks per night on top of the room was expensive. Room service was expensive too I didn't touch it. Its hard to believe that in 2010 hotels don't furnish a small fridge and microwave. Our option was to get real REAL hungry and then eat so that we ate all of our food because we had nowhere to store it. In the end my stay was expensive and nothing more. The ONLY great thing; Location.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear MzVella,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided regarding your recent stay. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations and will address our areas of opportunity with the appropriate departments. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity when your travels bring you back to Cleveland.

L Perez
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I stayed at the Wyndham Cleveland for 4 nights with some of my family - there were three adults in one room. We stayed here because they had free shuttle service to Cleveland Clinic, and we were here so a family member could seek medical care. We chose Wyndham because we heard the hotels on the Clinic grounds were not very good...well, I'll start by saying that if those lodgings are actually WORSE than the Wyndham I can't even imagine how lousy they must be.

The Wyndham is a solid 2 Star hotel at best. Calling it three stars or using any kind of really positive words to describe it is misleading. I usually use TripAdvisor reviews as the best way to find great lodgings and it almost always steers me in the right direction. Not this time. I'd like to list some of the flaws of this establishment (if some of them seem nit-picky - trust me, they add up):

-Dirty bathroom with mold, mildew and rust all over the shower (a nasty bathroom really affects a pleasant stay)
-Bathtub water that really backs up - you take a shower immersed in inches of water, considering all the dirt in the bathtub this is a perfect way to develop a fungal infection
-No fan in the bathroom - it turns into a sauna after a shower
-Multiple floors' vending machines are broken - not accepting bills
-The beds are extremely small and uncomfortable
-The clock & alarm by the bed did not work
-The pool area is lit horribly and it does not have a nice feel overall - its in the basement and trust me, it feels like it
-The reception on the TV is fuzzy
-The valet attendants jerking around outside the front doors are loud, rude, and made me feel very uncomfortable
-The pictures online proudly feature the "smart chair", a leather recliner we were looking forward to having, but in the two different rooms we had there was no chair
-In the first room we had - a regular room, there was only one basic chair - not very convenient for a room that was supposed to accommodate up to four
-No closet space

The restaurant and bar downstairs were pretty terrible and warrant their own list:
-For breakfast, I asked for over hard eggs which were burnt on the outside and had runny yolks on the inside
-For dinner, the service was extraordinarily slow. We spent 40 minutes or so waiting for our order. We REPEATEDLY tried to hail down staff only to have them literally avoid eye contact and hurry past. This is AFTER they were informed we had spent ALL day at Cleveland Clinic and were feeling awful and had not eaten in forever
-No wine list was provided even though we saw bottles everywhere
-One of us ordered Jack Daniels on the rocks. Sounds easy, right? No, instead he got a large glass full mostly of water and ice and a little whiskey. You don't water down a Jack on the Rocks.
-I ordered the ravioli only to hear five minutes later the waitress tell the gentleman at the table next to us that the dish was not good at all
-Meanwhile, there was only three parties of people in the dining room. Apparently they had a large group in another room, but this is no excuse for the truly awful experience.

The Wyndham basically assured that a trip we made out of medical necessity (not a happy reason to be travelling!), was made even more unpleasant. I am deeply disappointed at the overall experience we received here, and even with the free shuttle to the Clinic if we ever need to return to Cleveland, we will never stay here again.

Oh, and also - if you find the Encore/Blue Bar experience to be as awful as we did, good luck finding good dining options nearby. This part of town aside from a few theaters feels like a ghost town. The Starbucks a block away didn't even have their usual breakfast sandwiches and bagels. One of our party - the person who was a patient at Cleveland Clinic - had to eat on a very specific schedule due to medications and we CONTINUALLY found ourselves in a situation of waiting forever for subpar food or not being able to get anything nearby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
HospitalityMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Dear HotaruMiang,

I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We strive to ensure that each and every guest experience is satisfying.

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and will work to improve our service. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We recently had the pleasure of holding our daughter's wedding reception at the Cleveland Wyndham. The entire staff (valet staff included) were very attentive, kind, courteous, and responsive to our needs. I never imagined such a positive experience at a hotel. Everything (and I mean everything...from the rooms, reception, dining, breakfast, luncheon, bar and parking) went without a hitch! The hotel provided a safe repository for the gifts, had everything we provided to them for decorations and room gifts well handled and properly placed! As the mother of the bride I had nothing to do but enjoy the entire evening! We received nothing but compliments on such a wonderful evening and all who stayed at the hotel felt welcomed! I would highly recommend a stay or event at this location! A true gem in downtown Cleveland!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
HospitalityMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Dear citygirl440,

We are thrilled that your recent event at Wyndham Cleveland was such a success. It is exciting to hear that your guests also enjoyed a positive experience. Thank you for taking the time to comment on the great service you and your guests received from our staff.

Atlanta GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Friends and family stayed at the Wyndham at Playhouse Square in Cleveland, OH for my sister's wedding the first weekend of October. We were advised by Clevelanders this is a very nice hotel and my sister arranged for a discounted rate for a large number of guests. Had we paid the full price of $189 a night we would have been even more dissatisfied. The sixth floor room was small and dimly lit. It had two double beds though there were three guests (and four when my sister came to stay the night before her wedding) so trying to rest was exceedingly uncomfortable. We had to keep asking for more towels and washcloths, there was no hair dryer and with three women in the room trying to get ready, it was very inconvenient that the only mirrors were on the bathroom door or in the bathroom. There were only two small closets in the armoire, insufficient to hold our clothes for the three days we were there. The tub did not drain, so showering was more like taking a bath. Even during a short shower, I was usually standing in 6 to 8 inches of water. The shower wall and shower curtain had areas of mildew and the carpet in the room appeared to be filthy. There were two very small trash cans and no recycling bin in the room. The ice machine on the 6th floor was broken the entire time we were there. Guests could either pay $20 a day for valet parking or try to find a paid parking lot several blocks away. The hotel itself does not have a parking lot or garage and uses the underground garage at Stratton Arms on the corner. It was necessary to call down for the car a minimum of 15 minutes before we needed to leave. Some of the valets did not know how to crank the car since it has a security alarm and they basically ransacked everything trying to figure out how to get the vehicle from the garage to the hotel. Three CDs were also stolen from the console of the car while we were at the Wyndham. We discovered this en route home. Most valets are very young and mainly unprofessional, two were giggling and running out of the valet office after one of them was crudely flatulent with guests standing nearby awaiting their cars. Though the hotel is non-smoking, the staff, valets and guests stand at the front door smoking. While the hotel accepts small dogs, there is not really an area nearby to walk the dog and we were told to take plastic bags with us and ended up walking our pet in an urban park with a few planted areas but no grass. Different desk staff gave us different directions to the 'grassy areas.' I saw one of the honeymoon suites and though spacious with a great view, it was moderate at best. Several other family members and guests attending the wedding had to change rooms as the accommodations they were given were not adequate for various reasons, for example, no chair or desk for laptop use, too noisy, etc. To the hotel's credit, most staff members were gracious dealing with an elderly and partially disabled dog who twice had accidents either in the lobby or on the sidewalk. Housekeeping staff who had to bring the extra towels to the room were polite and friendly as were the bellmen. The lobby is attractive and the bar offered a great breakfast buffet complete with made to order omelets, pancakes, assorted fruits, yogurts, hot and cold cereal, eggs and meat. Since the parents of the groom paid for everyone's breakfast, I'm not sure if this is standard fare, but it did appear to be as other diners were eating in a separate area. The bar is cozy with great windows affording a view of the theater nearby. I've certainly stayed in better accommodations while traveling for business but would suggest the Wyndham IF a discount rate is available and if you don't have a car or pet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Dear elicyn,

I want to apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your recent visit. It is our goal to ensure that each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that your feedback is very important to us in order to properly address our areas of opportunity.

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We were in Cleveland for my daughters open heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. The staff made sure we had the best stay we could have possibly had. The hotel is located in an revitalized area with all kinds of public transpotation, and many attractions, resturants and shopping within walking distance. Our suite was beautiful and spotless. I just can't say enough about the staff from the front desk to the shuttle drivers everyone worked to make our stay as stress free as possible. If I ever go back to Cleveland the Wyndham will be where I stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear atravelor10,

Thank you for choosing Wyndham. We appreciate the thoughtful comments regarding our staff and your accommodations. We look forward to your next visit.

LPerez

Been to Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square? Share your experiences!