“Excellent Hotel and Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #20 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
London, Canada
“Excellent Hotel and Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

First of all...do not put much stock into the negative reviews of this hotel.

We (myself, wife and teenaged son) stayed at the Wyndham from 9Jul08-11Jul08 travelling from Canada. Prior to arrival I contacted the hotel requesting a larger room and was upgraded with no problem.
Upon our arrival we were detoured around to the back of the hotel due to road construction out front. A staff member who was outside on a coffee break took the time to direct me where to go to check in.

The check in was smooth and the staff quick and helpful, Upon getting to the room it exceeded our expectations. It was larger than expected with lots of room. Room and bathroom were clean.

During the stay staff were exceptionally helpful. Being from Canada and not familiar with the Cleveland area a whole lot, staff would offer suggestions on where to eat and where to go. When we were looking for a good place to go shopping a staff member leaving at the end of his shift took the time to pull his own vehicle around and have me follow him to a shopping area of town that was hard to get to due to summer road work.

The next time I am in Cleveland, I will definitely be staying at this hotel. It is an older hotel, but again it exceeded my expectations.

Traveller From Ontario Canada

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

1,517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Florence, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

I had a little trepidation prior to arriving after reading a scattering of scary postings about this hotel on this site, but I had a very pleasant stay. I can only speak to my own experience. I stayed in Room 503. The room was clean, comfortable, and mostly quiet (except for some inconsiderate revelers one night who thought its okay to talk loud in the hallways at midnight while waiting for the elevator). Never stay in ANY hotel on Fridays or Saturdays or any prom night if you can help it - for this reason. The front desk was responsive if I had to complain about loud teens. The air conditioning worked well which was nice considering that Cleveland was experiencing a heat wave during my stay. The street in front of the hotel is a mess because of major construction which can make getting to it a pain but that is not the hotel's fault (it also affects the Holiday Inn Express a few doors down). I did not drive so I don't know about parking. There were a few minor stains on the carpet from spilled drinks or cough medicine, but beds and baths were spotless, everything worked and the room smelled clean. The bed had a mattress pad and extra pillows so it was very comfy. The staff was first rate as many other reviewers have noted. I got a very good government rate as a county employee (attending a required conference) and the manager even facilitated prepayment by check by sending my employer an invoice months before my stay at my request. They also gave me toothpaste and Bandaids on request, which is nice because the drug store nearby keeps limited hours. The Wyndham By Request Program is great for the following reason: after a horrendous 90 minute hike in searing heat because I got off at the wrong train stop and then couldn't find the hotel on the first try, I checked into my room and found my requested drink and snack ( 2 Amsel Light Beers and 2 bags of Peanut M&Ms) waiting for me in my room - as a free perk of the program- the beer was even cold. This started things off right.

• Liked — Staff, Comfortable Beds,
  • Disliked — Major Construction Obstacles on Euclid Avenue (not the fault of hotel, affects other properties)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

The hotel is nice and has a good location. I booked on Hotwire and got a great deal. The front desk seemed annoyed that I used Hotwire and would not give me a room on a high floor.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stayed at the Wyndham for the Cleveland Marathon and thought the staff was great. They went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The rooms were fine. The location of the hotel wasn't great, but the free shuttle helped getting around. The hotel staff made our stay enjoyable.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Olmsted Falls, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

If your planning a convention to be held at this establishment, Please rethink. We had upwards of 300 people attending ours, and it was basically a mess. The hotel set up enough bars for the event, serving all the proper types of drinks, but when it came to throwing your bottle or glass away, there wasn't a single trash can to be found on any of the floors that we had booked. As a result, the floors got very messy, very fast, with glasses, bottles and plates. And I wouldn't schedule a banquet at the hotel. While the food in the restaurant is quite nice, the food they served us at the banquet was sub-standard, Reports of over-cooked beef, and under-cooked fish abounded. (mine could have stayed in the oven for at least 15 minutes more, and was basically unedible. Don't bother asking a waiter for coffee or tea, I finally got a glass of tea when I recieved my desert. I will say that the staff was polite and fun to deal with, but I don't think there were enough of them to cover our banquet.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Because I booked my stay at a discounted rate, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. If I had paid full price, I would be very upset. The rooms were livable, but beds were very uncomfortable and the entertainment center was falling apart. Also, the shower didn't work and the sink was partially clogged. For the rate they charge, I would expect the parking to be a little less expensive and at least provide free internet access. Location wise it's perfect for an Indians game, but I would never pay full price for this hotel and would only stay there again if there were not other options available such as the Hilton Garden Inn or the Crowne Plaza.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and Amenities were poor.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

After reading some of the other reviews, I was quite frightened about my stay with my wife. However, we had a different experience than others. I even brought my own sheets with me in case the ones on the bed were disgusting. We were in room 1004.

There were no stains on the walls, the bathroom and bed were clean, and we enjoyed our room. We loved the convenience of the hotel to all the local attractions (Progressive Field, Quicken Arena, Hillarities, bars, restaurants, etc).

The construction on Euclid Ave. was a bit of a pain, but I emailed the hotel beforehand, and they gave me directions around the construction. Due to some of the other reviews about their valet parking service, I also asked about nearby parking garages. They suggested a lot behind their hotel on Huron St. It turns out, this is where their valet parking is, but if you self park it is only $9/day.

The pool and hot tub were nice and relaxing after a night on the town, and I recommend them.

The only complaint I had was that some kid pulled the fire alarm in the morning when we were getting ready to check out. They had an automated announcement telling people to evacuate. However, they did not have a follow-up announcement saying this was a false alarm. My wife and I threw everything in our suitcase in haste and headed for the door in case it was real and we couldn't get back in for some time. It wasn't until we got down to the lobby that we learned it was a false alarm.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square? Share your experiences!