“OK, but wouldn't be my first choice” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #20 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Columbus
“OK, but wouldn't be my first choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Because I booked my stay at a discounted rate, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. If I had paid full price, I would be very upset. The rooms were livable, but beds were very uncomfortable and the entertainment center was falling apart. Also, the shower didn't work and the sink was partially clogged. For the rate they charge, I would expect the parking to be a little less expensive and at least provide free internet access. Location wise it's perfect for an Indians game, but I would never pay full price for this hotel and would only stay there again if there were not other options available such as the Hilton Garden Inn or the Crowne Plaza.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and Amenities were poor.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

After reading some of the other reviews, I was quite frightened about my stay with my wife. However, we had a different experience than others. I even brought my own sheets with me in case the ones on the bed were disgusting. We were in room 1004.

There were no stains on the walls, the bathroom and bed were clean, and we enjoyed our room. We loved the convenience of the hotel to all the local attractions (Progressive Field, Quicken Arena, Hillarities, bars, restaurants, etc).

The construction on Euclid Ave. was a bit of a pain, but I emailed the hotel beforehand, and they gave me directions around the construction. Due to some of the other reviews about their valet parking service, I also asked about nearby parking garages. They suggested a lot behind their hotel on Huron St. It turns out, this is where their valet parking is, but if you self park it is only $9/day.

The pool and hot tub were nice and relaxing after a night on the town, and I recommend them.

The only complaint I had was that some kid pulled the fire alarm in the morning when we were getting ready to check out. They had an automated announcement telling people to evacuate. However, they did not have a follow-up announcement saying this was a false alarm. My wife and I threw everything in our suitcase in haste and headed for the door in case it was real and we couldn't get back in for some time. It wasn't until we got down to the lobby that we learned it was a false alarm.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

We had won a trip and this was the hotel the fulfillment company selected. The trip was paid for in advance.There was noisy construction out front all day long- the streets were ripped up. When we arrived, due to construction, there was no way to access any parking, so we gave up and had to pay 22 a day for "valet" parking.

After a lengthy check in, we were given a room on the 6th floor. The vending machines were empty and the ice machine did not work. We had to go to the 5th floor for ice.

The room was disgusting,there were red stains and brown stains all over the carpet, and it smelled like butt. The bed was relatively comfortable.
We were afraid to use the shower- it was nasty.

We wanted to go to the rock hall of fame, and we were treated to a dirty old "shuttle bus". At least the driver was nice.

The website had listed a pool and a fitness room. The best part of this hotel was the pool. We had a blast there, because no one else was using it. There was a whirlpool and a sauna.

The "fitness room" was a bunch of pre-1990 fitness equipment, that mostly didn't work. We were finally able to get the elliptical to work, but it squeaked loudly.

At 6 each morning some loud alarm went off for about 10 minutes. So much for getting any sleep. it sounded like it was coming from the hallway.

The last night we were there, we decided to try the hotel restaurant. HUGE mistake. The waiter was clueless, and the food was pretty, but had no taste. For the price we paid, we would have been happier at a roadside Cracker Barrel.

Even though the trip was paid for in advance, they charged the card I had to provide them for incidentals.

Just a hotel that has seen better days.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

I had tickets to see "Wicked" at the State Theatre in downtown Cleveland (20 minutes from my home), but heard a storm was on its way so the night before I decided to book a room at the closest hotel to the theatre. I hadn't read any reviews prior to booking, but found a pretty good deal on Orbitz. It turned out to be a good idea in the end, especially because it took 1 1/2 hours to get down there (mainly because it was nearly impossible to maneuver around the unplowed streets to get up to the place to valet park). What a nightmare! I do remember seeing something about construction on Orbitz, but I had no idea how much worse it would make the situation. We almost got stuck a few times and had to push cars out of the snow to get them out of the way.

However, immediately upon arriving, the valet and front desk staff members were very friendly and apologetic. We were able to check in early, which was a plus. I sarcastically asked if there was a shuttle to the theatre (about 100 yards or so from the hotel) and found out that it had gotten stuck in the snow down the street and the driver dropped the transmission trying to get out. Oops! Would have been nice...

The room was a smoking room with a king bed, but not much else. Didn't reak of smoke when we walked in, but there's no ventilation in there so it was smelled up fast (and lasted a while). I was thrilled/surprised to be able to smoke, so I could have cared less. There was coffee and mugs, but no maker. The ironing board was very old, but the iron worked pretty well. There was a rip in the curtain, the door to the "closet" was broken, and the carpet was stained in some places. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom very clean. Overall, it was OK. Lived up to the three stars I suppose.

We had reservations at the hotel restaurant (Winsor's) because there was no other place to get to by walking (and most other places were probably closed). What a disappointment! They only had a buffet, which was decent. The drinks were not good aand extremely over priced. Our server was very friendly - the best part of the experience. I think they did what they could with the snow, though it would have been nice to see what their regular menu was like.

However, avoid going to the breakfast buffet if there are a lot of people at the hotel. This too was probably a result of the blizzard from the night before, but COME ON! The line at the buffet was horrible... it took 15 minutes to get up to the food. Basic hot breakfast foods, yogurts, fruit and a waffle/omelet bar. We didn't make it up there because it would have taken 15 more minutes. I wish I had piled more on my plate because we didn't make it back up there. Our server was very apologetic (the same friendly one from the night before) and charged us for the "continental" version of the buffet which was still $10.95. I didn't leave starving, but I was furious. The managment of the hotel needs to figure something out because I looked back in there before leaving the hotel and the line was still very long.

I'm not saying that I would never go back, but if the weather is nice I would probably try something else if seeing another show.

• Liked — Proximity to the theatre district and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The restaurant/bar
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

I travel a lot and I must say this was a terrible stay.
The price I was given over the phone was wrong.
All the construction makes it impossible to get to.
All of our spare change in the ashtray disappeared, the valets could have at least taken the trash too.
The first room we had was filthy. Hairs all over the bathroom floor. Stains on the pillows and sheets.
The second room was a bit cleaner if you don't count the used room service tray right inside the door. How do you miss that?
The movie channels kept going on and off so it was pointless to try and watch a movie.
When I went down to the front desk I was told there was nothing they could do about it and I should call customer service in the morning.
Needless to say my wife and I will never go there again.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — pretty much everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Wyndham while visiting family over the New Year. The staff was very nice. However, the rooms (we had to get 2 rooms because the hotel wouldn't let a cot in, due to fire hazard?! When you walked in the rooms, there were stains all over the walls (our kids were afraid the red ones were blood), the rugs were all covered in stains, the skirts on the beds were all stained.
The website said they had a exercise room. Yes, they did, but it was in the same room as the pool. It was very humid. also there were only 4-5 pieces of equipment ALL of them were rusty and 2 didn't work at all. There were no disinfectants for the equipment. To park your car it was $22 per night for valet. The car was left outside or you could park it at the nearest parking lot for about the same price. Since we have young children, we didn't want to walk back and forth to the parking lot for many reasons, including winter storm and strong winds.
We asked for a phone call at 11:34am on New Year's eve in order to see the year in, but they failed to call. When the cleaning staff came in, they did not replenish the TP and left the TP roll empty.

• Liked — The staff was very pleasant
  • Disliked — The rooms were worn out and dirty
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

The only things I liked about the hotel was that it was close to the theatre at the Playhouse Square and being a Wyndham member, the free cookies and water was a bonus after a long flight.

Other than that, the food was expensive at the restaurant, the housekeeping service was not very good - there was no hair dryer in the bathroom and I had phoned about it and she said it should be there. I wouldn't have phoned if I knew where the hair dryer was. She told me that it would be up there but I waited and waited and gave up and by the time, my hair had dried naturally.

Stayed December 2007

Been to Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square? Share your experiences!