“Great hotel in the center of the theater district” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great hotel in the center of the theater district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed at the Wyndham last night after a family wedding in the neighborhood. Top notch staff from the front desk to the car valet people.
Hotel was quite comfy and set up great for business people. Nice king sized bed was extremely comfortable.
Loved all the extra outlets, including a six outlet setup next to the desk. A big comfy chair was equipped with two twisting worksurfaces for your laptop and beverage and had two more outlets for plugging in laptops and whatever else you needed. First hotel I've stayed at in quite a while where I didn't need my power center cord for extra outlets.
Beautiful view from room 1102 out onto the lake. Watched the sun rise reflected in windows of other downtown Cleveland buildings nearby.
Only disappointment was the free Internet. Free is good, but they advertised 20MB fibre connection. Since they are located right above the primary fibre cable that runs down through Cleveland's main drag, I expected a blazing connection speed. NOT!!! My 3MB DSL connection at home is way faster.

Room Tip: Room 1102 has a nice view and was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HospitalityMgr, Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear TravelWriterDB,

Thank you for your comments. We are thrilled that you experienced our top notch service, a comfy guest room and beautiful view from the 11th floor. Thank you again, we look forward to your next visit!

Hospitality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I stayed here this summer with my husband and two kids. We specifcally selected this hotel because they offered free wi-fi, and the room description included a work station. The room we got reminded me of one of those rooms you find in a European hotel. There was barely room to walk around the beds, there was no work station and no closet (they had an armoire) and no room for our luggage. Plus the wi-fi did not work. I talked to the front desk staff about the room and they did not help me out and they said their wi-fi does not work with Apple devices (is that even possible!). Anyway we cut our stay to one night versus two.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HospitalityMgr, Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear TravelPlannerGBMom,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding your stay this past summer. Your concerns are being addressed by the appropriate departments accordingly. I apologize that you had to cut your trip short. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Cleveland.

Wadsworth, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

With tickets to see Tony Bennett on Saturday the 29th of October, my wife and I decided to make a weekend of it. We wanted to do a little shopping, have a nice dinner and then head to the theatre for an evening with Tony. I researched, and then researched some more. I really didn't feel comfortable with many of the playhouse area hotel reviews (including the Wyndham) and decided we would just find a hotel in Beachwood and drive in for the show. The more I thought about it, the less I liked that idea. I finally settled on the Wyndham, because I felt that we might be able to walk to the theater instead of dealing with parking/valet etc.

We arrived at the hotel around 3:00pm on Saturday, pulled right in to the drop off area and were greeted by a polite valet, who simply asked if we needed help with our overnight bags (we didn't) and then asked if he should keep our vehicle handy in case we were heading out again soon. (Great ask - why don't more valet staff ask this?)

Check in was smooth, the lobby was nicely decorated, staff were pleasant and reserved. Our room was ready and there were plenty of elevators ready to take us to our floor. The room itself was clean, temperature was nice, and lighting options are great - particularly at low light/evening. Not particularly large, but not cramped either. The king bed & linens were top notch and VERY comfortable. Bathroom was mid-size, classy decor, nice amenities and the best showerhead/pressure I have ever experienced at a hotel. I mean it - the BEST. Wyndham Playhouse has the showerhead that I will judge all other against from this point on!

I am going to write a review on the hotel restaurant, Encore, and the Lounge, Blue Bar so I will simply say that we were extremely pleased with both. Atmosphere in each was great. Food & wine exceeded expectations. Service was adequate at best - but not for lack of effort. We had pre-dinner drinks in the lively Blue Bar filled with other theater goers, then dinner. The walk to the State Theatre was short, and beautiful. Nice energy with so many people out for one of the multiple shows in town that night. Very convenient to simply take a relaxed stroll of just a few minutes and arrive at the marquee. Tony was outstanding, and we finally came back to the Blue Bar for an after show glass of wine and dessert. The place was packed, and service time ground to a crawl, but the attitude and atmosphere were relaxed, and once a nice glass of cabernet was in hand, the pace mattered little.

We retired to a room that was quiet, dark and very comfortable. We woke to a relaxing morning. Ate breakfast across the street at and old diner (Huron deli). Checkout was smooth, valet had car within a few minutes and we were on our way.

No question, Wyndham Playhouse actually increases my desire to stay in Cleveland and experiene the Theatre district more often. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Stogie3786,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Your comments regarding your valet greeting, a clean and comfortable room, and great atmosphere in the Blue Bar have been shared with our entire staff. We are happy that you have a new found desire to spend more time in downtown Cleveland. We look forward to your next visit.

A Strieter
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

where to begin, we hop out of our cab and are greeted by an employee spitting on the sidewalk. nice. we were in Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and this place offered a package. the website required you to make 2 reservations if you were staying more than one night. front desk didn't snap to this, asked if we could stay in same room, she said she would see what could be done. the person at front desk the next morning was able to help. our breakfast buffet experience: gave server drink order twice and it wasn't correct. how hard is it to get ice tea and orange juice? the food was cold and tasteless. the server never came to check on us, but took care of the tables on either side of us. I know I'm not invisible. on a happy note, Tammy in the bar was Fantastc! she took great care of us. great lakes brewery beer on tap $4 for a 24 oz during happy hour and the frys are to die for..

• Stayed November 2011
Dear tdwalchemist,

We apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your recent visit. Your feedback is important to us and will be shared with our Rooms and Food and Beverage team. Thank you for your kind comments about Tammi in Blue Bar being fantastic. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Elkhart, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband & I were in town for a wedding. We found the location great with tons of things to do nearby & also within walking distance. The room was nice size & the price was okay. The whole room was pretty clean except for a few things in the bathroom. When you check your room make sure to look up. There were a lot of little hairs stuck to the ceiling above the shower. I was almost afraid to shower in fear the hairs would fall on me. Eww. Other than this I think the place was great. The pool is nice but not heated!! I was not aware of this ahead of time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear jksuhr,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you found our surroundings to be entertaining and our hotel to be great! Your cleanliness concern will be addressed. Again, thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

This hotel was wonderfully convenient for our visit to the Cleveland Clinic, especially with the "free" shuttle they provided to get back and forth. Our shuttle driver, Trent was so courteous, pleasant and helpful. The whole staff at the hotel were great and the room service was the best I have encountered at a hotel. The food and delivery staff were wonderful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Although the room was very nice, and the location wonderful, the wait to check in was awful. We tried to check in at 3:30 (check in time is listed at 3PM, and the room was not ready (the excuse was the hotel was full the night before.) We were told the room would be ready in 30 minutes, so we reluctantly sat down to wait. After 45 minutes, I checked back in with the front desk, and they tried to page someone to tell us when it would be ready. No one responded back to the front desk. Finally, at 5:20 they gave up and gave us a different room, with no offer of any discount or real apology for the long wait. I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay away from wedding parties, it gets noisy around them.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square? Share your experiences!