“Not ready for busy weekends - Too bad for a beautiful new hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

Save Saved
You added The Westin Cleveland Downtown to your Saves list
The Westin Cleveland Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   777 St. Clair Avenue NE, Cleveland, OH 44114 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #23 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Richboro, Pennsylvania
“Not ready for busy weekends - Too bad for a beautiful new hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We checked into the Westin Cleveland on a Saturday afternoon on a busy weekend. We were there bringing our son to Freshman Orientation at Case Western, the Indians had a weekend series against the Orioles (a lot of fans and the team were at the hotel with us), and the Gay Games were going on, so the hotel was fully booked.

Here is our weekend play by play:

Valet and Doorman: For a brand new hotel on a busy street, I was shocked that there was only a curb indent that would fit about 5 cars. The hotel only has a valet option, at $30 per night. The garage is right next door, but was valet only. It was very busy and while the crew greeted us quickly, but it was very rushed to get our luggage and get out of the car.

Check In: Once again, for a large new hotel, there were only 4 check-in spots, and all of the front desk crew was dealing with one customer who had a problem with a pre-paid reservation. I blame this on the design of the hotel, but also the incompetence of the staff. Four people to figure out one reservation while the rest of us waited? We had two rooms, with a request for connecting. After 10 minutes of searching, we were able to land two rooms on the same floor. We seem to have gotten the last King room, as the couple next to us was told to take 2 queens or "come back later to check-in." It was 4:30 and they had requested a King. How does a new hotel not have the computer systems in place to set aside rooms? How were rooms not ready after check-in time?

The rooms: The King was beautiful, with a view of Lake Erie. It was very well designed. The 2 Queen room was also quite nice. The rooms had original art, and the terrific Westin bed. One oddity though - the toilet seats in both rooms were slightly off, like some part had been ordered wrong and they just "made it work." I loved the showers, with beautiful blue tiles and a glass partition that stopped water from coming out but was still open.

The Valet, part 2: We had 7:30 dinner reservations about a 10 minute drive away. We called down for the car at 7:00 and were told that the car would be there in "8 minutes." We went downstairs and waited a little, then checked with the valet and it seems they didn't know we had called down. We saw several cars arrive and be taken to the garage, but we didn't get our car until 7:25 and a lot of "reminders." The Bellman told us several times that it wasn't his fault, "it was the valet's job," and when we finally got our car, the valet sort of apologized by saying there weren't enough of them working for the rush. Well, why not?

The night's stay: The rooms were very comfortable. The beds were great, and the lighting in the room well designed. BUT - the doors from the rooms to the hall were ridiculously loud when they closed! It sounded like everyone in the hallway was slamming their doors when they left their rooms. I don't know what the fix for that is, but it seemed so silly when the rooms were very quiet otherwise, without street noise or much hallway noise.

The next morning: Elevators: Always busy, always a wait, but CRAZY on Sunday at 10:30! We waited while 2 completely full elevators stopped on our floor (we were pretty high), and then we only made the third after an Orioles player held the door and let us on the almost full elevator instead of him. I was surprised at how fast the doors went to close after the elevator stopped on the floor. It cuts into the efficiency if people can't get on in time.

Valet Part 3: We called down, and check in again with the valet, and it was unclear if they had gotten the call. This time, there were plenty of valet employees, but it was busy and the Orioles team bus was taking up almost the whole valet area. We got distracted taking pictures of the players, and when we checked on the car, it turned out that our car was on the other side of the bus (in the middle of the street) and no one told us! I'm amazed at how poorly designed the valet/ drop off is.

Second night/ Valet Part 4: The hotel was rather quiet Sunday night. We walked in and an elevator was waiting on the first floor. When we left Monday, the lobby was empty and our car was waiting for us outside. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. Had we checked in then and stayed a few days, I'm sure I would be writing a glowing review (except for those slamming doors!).

I really wished I could have written a nice review. The hotel was so pretty, and well located. But a brand-new, upscale, chain hotel has to be able to handle crowds and they failed at that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Me and my wife were heading to Chicago from NJ. Cleveland as the midpoint for the trip, was where we decided to stay. This hotel was great. Very clean. The bell hop James was super helpful with our bags and telling us about some sites and places to eat. We opted for the club access rooms. There were snacks, beer, soda, and some alcohol included in this room. Definitely worth the extra few bucks being that 2 or three drinks for me and my wife made up the cost. The view in the club room was amazing. Rooms were nice and quiet. Also, we got into our room right away. No waiting like some of the other reviews. The breakfast the next morning was decent. Nothing really nice but some waffles, bagels, fruit, cereal, and oatmeal was good enough for us. We had such a nice stay we are going to make another reservation for the return drive in a week. Highly recommend this hotel. Get the club access for the drinks alone.

• Stayed August 2014
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Michael Z,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It's always a pleasure to read how happy we have made our guests. I can't wait for your next visit so you can see the renovations we are completing to our Executive Club Lounge, I think you will enjoy even more the next time!

Michael Z, I look forward to possibly meeting you and your wife on your next pass through the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Safe travels,
Niagara
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I had made a reservation in advance with Expedia for The Westin Cleveland Downtown, and they would not honour the reservation and needed to make me a new reservation at a higher current rate. I had a confirmation number, and an email confirmation. I spoke to Expedia about this and they also said strangely there is nothing they can do, as ultimately the reservation is between the customer and the hotel. Expedia tried calling Lynette, a front desk supervisor, to remedie the situation with me, but to no avail.

Leaves an ugly taste in this SPG member and frequent Westin customer's mouth.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed at the Westin for a conference in August.

PROS
Great location. A short walk to two streets of foodie heaven.
Rooms are spacious, especially the King rooms.
Amazing staff;friendly and helpful.

CONS
3 night stay on a discounted rate for a conference was almost $698. That's a lot for 3 days.
The restaurant, although new and trendy, WAY OVER PRICED. Don't eat there, venture out.
The showers are SO modern that they have HALF of a glass wall to "close" the shower.

Room Tip: King rooms come with a great living area with a sectional couch! The higher you go, the better the v...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shawn C,

We appreciate that you stayed with us for three days while in Cleveland during your conference. It was nice to read that our staff was accommodating to you while staying and that you enjoyed your room. Although you found our prices to be slightly higher than what you may be accustomed to, I do hope you took advantage of our restaurant as we take great pride in Urban Farmer; the concept is from farm to table and we utilize services from all local farmers for both meat and produce, which benefits both our local farmers and our guests because it provides wonderful tastes for you to enjoy.

Shawn I do hope you choose to stay with us again, as it's always a pleasure to receive feedback from you and other guests.

Continued safe travels,
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband & stayed for one night while visiting downtown attractions. It's a convenient walk to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and not far from Progressive Field. We were allowed to check in early as our room was ready, which was very helpful. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Everyone from valet, front desk and concierge attendant were great.
The room was fresh and clean and newly remodeled. I would definitely recommend this place and would stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Recommend concierge level as they provide a continental breakfast & happy hour.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I'm really glad that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We definitely have a fantastic location and the views are incredible, again I'm glad you were able to take advantage of not just the hotel, but our location. Cleveland is really starting to thrive again and our sports facilities are some of the best, and to have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, literally steps away makes the Westin Cleveland Downtown "the" place to be! It's very rewarding to hear such a fantastic review of our Associates as well as the property.

I do look forward to you both coming again to stay with us again.

Best regards,

Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Got this Hotel on Hotwire. When it came up Westin, got on Trip advisor to read the reviews. Most were three stars, some even less all within the last few weeks. I don't know where those people stayed, but I have loved my three day stay. Here's how it went....
Arrival: Valet guys were great, friendly, and as a traveling musician, had a van full of gear. They said they would park it safely, and keep an I eye on it. They did. Safe parking in a garage in downtown Cleveland, with eyes on your vehicle? That is priceless and is worth the $30 bucks a day. Yes there is $11 parking across the street, but who's watching the car?
Front desk check in: The woman couldn't have been nicer, no wait, and I checked in at 3pm! They were quick, professional and gave me one of the sweetest rooms ever.
The Room: got a corner/end of the hall room. Great view of the city, fabulous comfy bed, one of the coolest shower heads in the world, clean, and housekeeping didn't bang on my door. They waited till they saw me leave for my jog and asked if I would like service done while I was out.
Wireless: $12 a day, but you get three devices all with state of the art speed.
Fitness center: one word, WOW! Full rack of free weights, machines, treadmills galore,I have paid $20 a day for gyms less appointed!
The restaurant: The Farmhouse has great food. Service is a bit disorganized, but being around the business a lot, I think it could work the kinks out if management jumped in a little. Don't get me wrong, managment walked around asking if everything is alright, while the place was jumping. But when your staff is struggling to keep up, throw an apron on and jump in and help. Bus the tables, talk to the folks who look anxious for a wait person, pass out menu's... But the servers and bartenders were doing a bang up job. The place is new and working out the kinks, when they do..... Cleveland has another 5 star restaurant, because the food was that good.
General manager of the hotel, I think his name is Mark, (I know this because he answered all the reviews I read, positive and negatives) is obviously listening to his customers and watching the reviews because everything I read from 2 weeks ago that was negative, was addressed and rectifyed. Great location, Great hotel, good restaurant, great fitness center, and hotel management that cares. Nicely done.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Pete J,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. Your review of our property really hit the type of quality and service we want all of our guests to experience and I'm elated to read that you experienced this.

I do read every comment and every opportunity, even with great reviews like yours; I look for areas where we can improve even more to make all of our guest experiences better.

I look forward to your next visit to the Westin Cleveland Downtown and I hope I have the opportunity to meet you personally.

Best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at this hotel per the bride's recommendation for out-of-town guests. We're glad we did! The location was perfect: we enjoyed the walk around downtown and the lakefront. We also walked over the bridge to Ohio City to enjoy some EPL matches at a soccer bar over there.

Pros: Everyone we interacted with was friendly, proactive, and helpful. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable - that bed was a dream! The location was perfect for what we were looking to do (explore by foot).

Cons: It's valet-only, which I don't like; nothing against those working at the valet, who were quick and personable, but valet seems like a waste of money. Had we planned better, we would have realized there were parking lots within walking distance that were less expensive. Also, Wi-Fi was not included, which was surprising at that price point. We decided it was cheaper to use our data plans instead.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!