“Don't believe everything you read” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

Save Saved
You added The Westin Cleveland Downtown to your Saves list
The Westin Cleveland Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   777 St. Clair Avenue NE, Cleveland, OH 44114 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #23 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Key West, Florida
“Don't believe everything you read”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Got this Hotel on Hotwire. When it came up Westin, got on Trip advisor to read the reviews. Most were three stars, some even less all within the last few weeks. I don't know where those people stayed, but I have loved my three day stay. Here's how it went....
Arrival: Valet guys were great, friendly, and as a traveling musician, had a van full of gear. They said they would park it safely, and keep an I eye on it. They did. Safe parking in a garage in downtown Cleveland, with eyes on your vehicle? That is priceless and is worth the $30 bucks a day. Yes there is $11 parking across the street, but who's watching the car?
Front desk check in: The woman couldn't have been nicer, no wait, and I checked in at 3pm! They were quick, professional and gave me one of the sweetest rooms ever.
The Room: got a corner/end of the hall room. Great view of the city, fabulous comfy bed, one of the coolest shower heads in the world, clean, and housekeeping didn't bang on my door. They waited till they saw me leave for my jog and asked if I would like service done while I was out.
Wireless: $12 a day, but you get three devices all with state of the art speed.
Fitness center: one word, WOW! Full rack of free weights, machines, treadmills galore,I have paid $20 a day for gyms less appointed!
The restaurant: The Farmhouse has great food. Service is a bit disorganized, but being around the business a lot, I think it could work the kinks out if management jumped in a little. Don't get me wrong, managment walked around asking if everything is alright, while the place was jumping. But when your staff is struggling to keep up, throw an apron on and jump in and help. Bus the tables, talk to the folks who look anxious for a wait person, pass out menu's... But the servers and bartenders were doing a bang up job. The place is new and working out the kinks, when they do..... Cleveland has another 5 star restaurant, because the food was that good.
General manager of the hotel, I think his name is Mark, (I know this because he answered all the reviews I read, positive and negatives) is obviously listening to his customers and watching the reviews because everything I read from 2 weeks ago that was negative, was addressed and rectifyed. Great location, Great hotel, good restaurant, great fitness center, and hotel management that cares. Nicely done.

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I'm not sure why there are negative reviews of this place. Interior is impeccable. Rooms are nice with new everything. Glass shower wall, led lighting, crisp white comforters, modern bath. Service was fine to me. I did not see any issues. But I am not very high maintenance and I usually stay in 2-3 star hotels. I got a good deal on this one and it was well worth it. Location is great. Short walk to downtown entertainment area and casino.

Only complaint was the $30 overnight parking! And I asked the valet if there were any cheaper alternatives and he said he didn't know. Well you can just about see the $11 parking across the street from there. Ii ended up parking at a lot for $13 a couple blocks away because it was open on the weekends. Many were not.

Room Tip: North side will give you a good view of the lake. South side will give you a good view of the city s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a last-minute overnight stay in Cleveland after the Gay Games 9 closing ceremony.

The positives: well-designed hotel with modern, clean and well-appointed rooms. Loved the room doors that didn't require a swipe, and the ambiance. Modern lobby with fast elevators.

The negatives that slightly ruined the experience here: the front desk staff. Rude, slow and seemingly fake and not at all genuine. No toiletries when I needed them- this is a 4 star hotel at a premium price that doesn't offer toiletries. I was told by the front desk to put my contact lenses in a cup with water for the night. When I left the front desk after asking for some basic toiletries, I watched the two clerks get together to gossip about me for being a "free spirit." If you don't want last-minute "free spirit" bookings, don't offer day-of Priceline deals!

Service is everything to me and I'll take the Marriott down the street over this hotel any day because of that. I'm Gold Elite there and shouldn't have gone off my usual beaten path!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here one night on business and the hotel has recently (May 2014) been refurbished.

My room (1703) was lovely inside, plenty of room, view of the lake, nice bathroom and a good shower. Bed was excellent and also plenty of power points to charge laptop/phone/ipad etc. Beside the bed there was a clock radio which also had an IPhone docking point to charge your phone.

However, my room was close to the lift and so was noisy with people walking past I got woken up. I also had an joining room and you could here everything on the guy next door was doing though the door.

The coffee machine didn't work, it put hot water all over the place. The ironing board was the cheapest thing I'd ever seen. I put it up to iron my shirt and then couldn't put it down. I was scared to be to forceful with it and I thought it might snap. There was also only one bottle of water in the room.

So a nice hotel and good service when I checked in etc however for $255 a night it's just not good enough. There is valet only parking at $30 for 24hrs and no self park but if you look across the road you can park for $11 and that's valet parking to.

The little touches are missing and I came away wishing I'd stayed elsewhere even though it wasn't my money paying.

Room Tip: Park across the road it's much cheaper and ask for a room away from the lift (elevator)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Colin_Welwyn,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was disappointed to read that you had struggles with noise, concerns regarding your ironing board, and that your coffee maker didn't work appropriately. We are still finalizing the "little touches" throughout the hotel; I am confident if you have the opportunity to stay with us again you will experienced them.

I'm sorry to hear that you left feeling you wished you'd stayed elsewhere; please feel free to contact me directly should you like to discuss your stay in greater detail. I can be reached at mark.anderson@westincleveland.com

Willow Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I enjoyed my 4 night stay here.
I had no issues with check-in or check-out.I arrived before 2pm and room was ready.Check-in was quick as was check-out.
I was busy with work and did not get to enjoy the location as much as possible.
Elevators seemed to be an issue but repairmen were there every day and seemed to get better.
The attached bar was a nice place to stop off for a nightcap.
Room was very quiet and good sized.
Bathroom was a little different-I had never seen a shower with no curtain or door-just a glass partition but surprisingly no water went out on to the floor.
Central location was close to everything in downtown area but at least 10 minutes from most places if you have mobility issues.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views,either of city or lake depending on which side of building. South s...
Dear EasternYurp,

I am glad that you chose the Westin Cleveland Downtown for your four day stay in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was happy to read that you had such a positive experience with us as that is our goal to make your time away from your home more personal and enjoyable.

I hope the next time you stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will be able to enjoy more of our hotel and also the city.

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well, we were delighted by the valet staff when we pulled into this oasis in Downtown Cleveland. Efficient, warm and friendly – and above all patient as we ransacked our car looking for the items we would need for our overnight stay. Unfortunately, the warmth did not convey to the front desk. Don’t know if our receptionist was new or painfully shy, but she simply expended just enough energy to be cooly cordial. I think she actually cringed when my luggage nearly tipped over the roped divide. Embarrassing for me to say the least – she didn’t have to make it worse! But, like I said, her lack of warmth was more than made up for by the wonderful front door staff all of whom greeted us with smiles and comments when we went in and out. The hotel itself is a bit of a surprise. Clearly and old building, it has been redone in very euro-chic coloring and design. It’s not our favorite décor, but we were definitely impressed by the ability to update what must have been tired rooms. It’s a fun stay. We thought it a little expensive, but we did not price-shop because we liked the location so cannot speak to how its prices fit in the Cleveland marketplace.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Babettetravels,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It was a pleasure to read your review that our staff was overall warm and welcoming. I appreciate your kind words regarding the massive renovations that our property endured. I am very proud of our location downtown Cleveland, Ohio as we are in the center of it all; a beautiful lakefront and an ever growing entertainment district.

I look forward to your next visit when you are in the Cleveland area.

Powell, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As other reviews have stated this hotel has struggled to have rooms ready on time for high-volume check-ins. We waited nearly two hours on a Saturday well after check-in for our room. I ended up having to pay a bell-hop $20 to go into the back room and get us a key to a room. I was travelling with my wife for a wedding and we missed the first half-hour of the wedding because we had to rush to get ready. The front desk staff and manager went out of their way to be unhelpful. I even asked for a place to change for the wedding and was directed to the lobby bathroom. Not great customer service.

Mark Anderson the general manager did email me promptly after my stay and apologized for the experience. I just wish they had competent management on site during the check-in disaster.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bab433,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was glad to see that you received my personal email to you regarding your visit with us. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you and your wife endured while staying at our property. I am very confident that when you return to the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will have a better overall experience.

We look forward to your next visit so we can provide you the quality stay that you deserve.

Mark

Been to The Westin Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!