“Almost good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

Save Saved
You added The Westin Cleveland Downtown to your Saves list
The Westin Cleveland Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   777 St. Clair Avenue NE, Cleveland, OH 44114 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Lakeway, Texas
“Almost good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This newly renovated property was opened just 6 weeks ago. Service is up to Westin standards. Amenities were good. Nice lobby. Good bar. (Didn't try the food.) Nice layout for meetings. But the building needed 2 more elevators. Making it worse, one of the four was usually down. It consistently took 10 minutes to get a car and to get to the 20th floor ... so take a room on a lower floor! Second, if you are traveling with a companion who is not an intimate companion the sliding bathroom door ... with the window was odd (tempered glass ... but not tempered enough! On the plus side, the shower was nice. Finally, some of the room layouts are odd. I had a great line of site view ... of the commode from my bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor but still with a lake view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
AutsinTravelMan,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. We are very glad to hear that you appreciate the decor of our newly renovated property. Although all elevators were not functioning during your stay, we look forward to your next visit when they are and then your review will reflect a title of "Amazing".

Thank you again for being our guest at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Columbus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

I arrived in the evening on Saturday 8/2/14 and was told by valet there would be a two hour wait for a room since there were so many checkouts that morning. I decided to call and check and was told my room was ready. After 20 mins in line I checked in and went up to my room. To my surprise my room had not been cleaned as there was food still in the fridge and a ruffled bed. I then waited another hour for my room to be cleaned but in the meantime the doorman Dennis Radford was very pleasant and checked on the room as well as assisted me with bags off and on that evening. Thank you Dennis!

Although it was not the best check-in experience, the room was clean, modern, and I had a great view.

CuteTourist,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am sorry to read about the initial experience you had in regards to checking in and going to a dirty room. However, I was happy to read that Dennis was quick to be of assistance to you and overall your experience with the Westin Cleveland Downtown ended on a positive note.

We look forward to you staying with us again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Having recently reopened after an extensive renovation the property was outstanding. As others stated service seems not up to par yet but are very friendly. No pool was a disappointment for my 3 kids. 30 a night to park your car is way to expensive when paying the rates they ask.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Iswigert5,
Thank you for your comments, and hope we can welcome you back in the future!

Regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Four of us spent a Saturday night at this property over the past weekend. The extensive renovations were obvious, as this was probably one of the most modern/updated hotels I've stayed at in recent memory. That is unfortunately where the good ends. We arrived at approximately 7PM, 4 hours after the advertised check-in time. They had two people working at the front desk and dozens of people waiting in lines and dispersed around the lobby. I spent about 90 minutes in line, while my friends, who were waiting on a second room, spent an additional 30 minutes (2 hours total). I can't imagine how the cleaning staff managed to fall so far behind that virtually no rooms were ready between 3PM and 9PM (or that management couldn't call in additional employees in that window to speed up the process). It was like a game between the two front desk employees to see which of them could grab up an available room faster, as they slowly appeared in the computer as "Ready". During this ordeal, dozens of customers were obviously upset and management was nowhere to be found. Further, management made no attempt at any point to offer anything as a means of rectifying the situation. This was by far the worst check-in experience I've ever had.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kasey,
Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for the delay at check in. While we have recently opened and are improving our service delivery to ensure we meet our guest expectations, we are always disappointed to learn of any challenges.
Franklin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

The Westin is usually one of my favorite hotels, however, housekeeping was completely unprepared for this busy weekend. Many waited hours before they could check in and others checked in only to find their room completely trashed and not cleaned by housekeeping. Obviously a lack of communication between housekeeping and the front desk. There were also so many valets that you felt like you were tripping over them when you walked out the door. The restaurant was wonderful. The good delicious but it wasn't enough to leave a good taste in my mouth because of the apparent under staffed house keeping. Sadly not impressed by this hotel!

Dear Darlene,
Please accept our apology for the delay with check in. We do strive for an exceptional experience, and disappointed that we let you down. We do hope you will give us another try should your travels take you back to Cleveland!
Chester, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night while on a business trip in Cleveland. The hotel is beautiful - modern and well appointed. I had a large room with a beautiful bathroom (huge walk-in shower, not tub). Everything was clean, but the walls were a bit on the thin side. Starwood Platinum members get access to the Club Lounge - large two-story room with beautiful views of the lake. Hordereves at night were a bit disappointing, although there was complimentary wine and beer. I arrived after seven, but was told that the lounge stays open until 9. There was not much selection - most of the food ran out and the attendant didn't replenish. Breakfast the next morning was great - oatmeal, cheese blintzes, bagels with lox, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, and even Bare Naked juice drinks.

I would have given the hotel 5 stars had it not been for a few encounters with the staff. When I checked in, there were employees chatting with another guest, and they continued to chat while I waited. My room key didn't work the first time; so, I had traipse back and wait again to get a new key. This key opened my room, but didn't work on the Club Lounge door. So, I had to once again traipse back and wait. The staff didn't apologize either time for the inconvenience.

Bottom line - great hotel, but nonexistent customer service!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Love2TravelVA,

Thank you for staying at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It was a pleasure to read that you had an overall positive experience at our hotel and enjoyed our accomodations.

I understand that you did have an issue regarding your room & club access key. I am sorry that you had that encounter and I hope when you return to Cleveland you choose our hotel again and we can erase that moment and in turn you will receive your five star stay!

Safe travels.

Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Checked in at 5:00 an hour after the 4:00 check in time. Room wasn't ready and was instructed that it wouldn't be too long. An hour and a half later the room still wasn't ready. We had to settle for a smaller room and received no credit for the issue. Hotel staff acted as this was the normal and I'd have to agree since there were countless people waiting with us. I will never stay here again.

Dear Jiboo1,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was very disappointed to read that your experience with us was less than satisfactory. I would like to talk with you further regarding your experience and to see what room type was booked and get your feedback on where we can improve.

Please feel free to email me at your convenience and give me additional details regarding your stay so when you do return we can make your stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown a positive event; my email address is mark.anderson@westincleveland.com

Mark

Been to The Westin Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!