“The Staff Was Great but I Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
“The Staff Was Great but I Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Everyone that works here is fantastic. Very helpful, very happy, they literally will help at all costs. That is fantastic. I did just incur a $12.95 charge to my room both nights for connecting to the internet. I'm sure it said it somewhere in small print that there would be a charge but I didn't see it. They give you the option to bill it on a separate card or charge it to the room. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the "Charge it to the room" option is checked by default so all you need to do is enter the room number and last name and you're connected.... and charged. I feel like this is pretty grimy. Almost like I was tricked. Next time I'll know but I've already been duped so nothing I can do about it now.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Jeremy T,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was elated to read that you had such a pleasant stay with us. As you witnessed, our staff is very proud of their contributions to making your stay positive and memorable. However, I am sorry that it wasn't communicated to you more clearly regarding the Internet charges.

I look forward to your next visit to the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for an out-of-town wedding for two nights and had a great experience. It was in a good location with plenty of things in walking distance. The lobby was beautiful with some awesome modern art pieces. The restaurant/bar off from the lobby was great as well. Convenient Starbucks located in the lobby but only open until late lunch time. All the rooms had the new key readers where you just touch the room card to the spot on the door - supposed to be more secure. That was pretty cool.
The rooms themselves were clean and plenty of space and felt new and nice. Great view of the lake from our room! The beds were comfortable. The showers in the rooms were amazing!!!
Only complaint was the cost and service of the valet. It would've been the same cost for us to just take Uber. The Valet lost our vehicle one day and we had to wait 20 minutes until they found it, almost making us late to the wedding.
Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 5sclayton,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was delighted to read what an enjoyable time you had while staying with us in June while attending your friends wedding.

I hope the next time you are in the Cleveland area you will once again choose the Westin Cleveland Downtown so we can further exceed your expectations.

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

recently stayed here for business and very pleased with room and hotel overall. many rooms have great lake views. everything is clean & new in the bathroom and sleeping area. the hotel is easy walking distance to many areas including theatre & warehouse districts, waterfront & R&R HoF. Staff was very attentive and friendly. pleasantly surprised by Cleveland.

Dear KateB990,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel and appreciate the incredible location. Not only does our hotel have so much to offer, but as you noticed for yourself the city of Cleveland as well.

We look forward to your next stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Overall we really liked being at this hotel - unfortunately our trip and some of the "mishaps" along the way (not the fault of the hotel) made it so that we spent little time in our room. Loved the comfort of the bed, the stylish and modern interior of our room and the washroom/shower was fantastic! The room appeared to be clean. The best part was the amazing service of the staff - they truly tried to assist us, even when the hotel seemed to be at its busiest.

Our only complaint, was that the staff seemed to be confused about eating locations nearby, giving us confusing directions - long story short, there really were not any restaurants open at 11:00 pm that were in walking distance. When we chose to come back to the hotel to eat instead, we were disappointed and confused that the hotel restaurant (food was no longer being served) would be closed at 11:30 pm - particularly being a weekend night with two concerts happening in the area, this was perplexing as many guests would have likely would have preferred that option for a later meal.

Otherwise, we would love to come back to this hotel - it was fabulous!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Kevnic14,

I was pleased to read your review about the Westin Cleveland Downtown. We make great strides so that our guests are comfortable while they are here. I'm sorry that you were unable to enjoy the fabulous food at Urban Farmer, however the hotel does have an extensive in-room dining menu and I hope you were able to enjoy that food after hours.

Thank you again for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I look forward to your next stay at our hotel.

Northfield, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Excellent remodel on this hotel. Rooms are beautiful, the lounge is wonderful, the gym is excellent and state of the art and .. the restaurant is not to be missed. Like the location too. But the walls are VERY thin and you can hear EVERYTHING - I mean EVERYTHING going on in the other rooms. Still, the staff is great, if not a little overwhelmed. I'll be staying there again and will give it another try.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor with a lake view if you can!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear af847,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of the hotel. I apologize for the noise that you encountered due to thin walls.

I am delighted to read that you intend to stay with us again; I hope to meet you on one of your next visits.

Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Decided to take an overnight trip to Cleveland. If you are looking for the closest "New York" hotel look no further. This hotel feels like New York City. I spend many nights in New York and this would rival any of their hotels. Maybe a cross between the W and the Conrad New York! This place feels like a hotel when you walk in. No cramped useless lobby here. Restaurant and bar on property. The Indians were playing the night we were there and what a surprise when a couple professional baseball players stopped after the game to eat!

The rooms are amazing and the TV's are giant, the bathrooms are spa like. The designer put extra attention into the lighting which didn't go unnoticed to me. The elevators are quick. The staff are ridiculously friendly. The location is excellent. If you want a special room ask for a high room facing the lake.....amazing. This will soon be Cleveland's no. 1 or 2 downtown hotel. For all you football fans you can actually see in the stadium from the higher floors. Not saying you can watch the game, but this will sure get you pumped up before the game. Cabs were waiting each time I walked outside. The club lounge is absolutely beautiful and cool, if you want to spend a few extra dollars. I don't know what investor group or person owns this hotel, but guys you are going to makes some money!

If you are a Rockstar stay here. If you are regular person that wants to feel like a Rockstar stay here! If you are a stressed out business person that needs a fresh outlook stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the lake.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear USABRAVO,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. Your enthusiasm about our property was crystal clear in your review and it definitely made me smile. I was elated to read all of your very kind comments about the property and that you noticed all of the special touches our designer implemented into making this hotel stand out.

I sincerely look forward to your next visit - wait until you see the upgrades we are implementing in the Executive Club Lounge!

Safe travels, and again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at the Westin Downtown Cleveland on a concert night when the entire city was sold out, and I couldn't be happier. The hotel staff was some of the best I've ever come across! They were extremely efficient at check-in considering it was packed, and from the valet to the front desk they were helpful and friendly. I ordered room service and loved the food, almost as much as I loved getting Starbucks inside the hotel the next morning. The whole hotel was beautifully renovated and modern. I also LOVED the bed! The sheets were so fresh and so cozy--I will definitely be back. I've stayed at most of the hotels downtown and this is by far my favorite. I look forward to coming back!

Stayed July 2014
Dear MrsMichellePaul,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was delighted to read your review that you had such an enjoyable stay at our property. I hope you enjoyed your concert as well.

I hope you make it back to the Cleveland area and stay with us again; we would love for you to be our guest.

Thank you again.

Mark

Been to The Westin Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!