“Has Potential; Missing the Mark on the Little Things” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

Save Saved
You added The Westin Cleveland Downtown to your Saves list
The Westin Cleveland Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   777 St. Clair Avenue NE, Cleveland, OH 44114 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #21 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Atlanta, Georgia
“Has Potential; Missing the Mark on the Little Things”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As many people may have noticed, the Westin is a fairly new addition to downtown Cleveland. While this hotel really can't be rated higher than a three circle right now, I want to preface the following review with this: the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and if management pays attention to things like TripAdvisor reviews, they can become a great hotel.

I booked a club level room using the AAA rate, which, according to the Westin website, included a full breakfast for two. Now, why would I book a club room and choose a package with breakfast when, in theory, the club level includes a breakfast offering. Two reasons: 1) the AAA rate was the same price, and 2) with the hotel being new, not much information was offered about the Club Level and if it was even open on weekends, so I wanted to be safe.

Arrival/Check-In: we arrived fairly late (10p-ish), and got checked-in right away. The receptionist was very nice and welcoming, but here is where problems began. We never received information on our included breakfast. In fairness, I didn't bring it up given the club level offering, but I shouldn't have to tell the hotel what comes in the rate that they offered. Next, while we were on the club floor with club access, she commented how she was "upgrading" us because she thought we were nice. I'm not sure if she was just making pleasantries, or if she honestly thought we were being upgraded, but that's a no-no. I paid extra for those services, so don't pretend like you are giving them to me for free. She did tell us that the lounge was on the same floor as our room, but we weren't given any information as to service times or even general hours of the lounge (no information was in our room, either). The next morning, upon attempt of first use of the lounge, we realized she never added access to our keys, so we had to make another trip down to the lobby (a huge pet peeve of mine).

Room/General Decor: We booked a room with 2 Queen beds. I don't know this for a fact (honestly just an opinion), but I would put money on this property being designed as a W at one point. Don't get me wrong, I loved the design and decor of the property, but everything seemed way too trendy to be a Westin. I do think they utilized the room size very well. The rooms feature 46" TVs which is an awesome feature. Now, the bad. The safe had no electricity going to it and therefore wasn't functional (we couldn't find a power cord). The fridge wasn't plugged in so two of us had to struggle to move the entire desk/tv/dresser unit to plug it in. The shower had no water pressure at all (the first morning I exited the shower and asked my family whom I was staying with, "did you enjoy making out with the shower this morning?", because that is how close you needed to be in order to get wet). Another huge design flaw was the location of the toilet paper holder. I know it may seem petty that I even mention this, but it is a prime example of stupid design without testing. I am 6'2", so I have long legs. Therefore, this placement was not a problem for my parents, but I couldn't even sit on the toilet without removing the toilet paper because it would hit my legs.

Club Lounge: It is technically two floors, because club level rooms are on 22 and suites (which generally include club access)d, are located on 23. There is no signage from the elevator lobby to the lounge, so it took me time to actually find its location. The lounge itself is beautiful, the staff inside was friendly, and offerings for breakfast and cocktail hour were great (evening selection included beer wine and spirits...big plus!). They did suffer from a stocking problem, which I think was a direct result of this desire for presentation (ie. they would only have one or two of each beer out at a time, so they were constantly out of beer)...same thing with the coffee and juices in the morning.

Overall: I think there was good value for the price we paid, but this definitely isn't what the hotel is hoping to charge per night. They had the acceptable rates, but the "prepaid rate" (generally the cheapest rate the hotel offers), was over $150 more per night. They have a long, long, long way to go to charge those amounts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view. The other view isn't bad, but the lake view is better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here a few weeks back---was impressed by the chic and modern decor. The staff was very friendly; anytime we saw a staff member throughout our stay, they struck up a conversation with us and inquired if they could better accommodate us in any way. Urban Farmer is delicious and a perfect addition to Cleveland's foodie scene. Such a sophisticated addition to CLE--very excited to visit both the city and the Westin again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Completely re-modeled hotel. Cool lobby. Nice rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Convenient downtown location, perfect for business traveler or visits to Indians/Browns game or Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Excellent! The service was wonderful, the staff polite and very, very accommodating. One thing I loved about the rooms, is where the outlets are. You can actually plug your phones in and anything else you need charged right next to your bed. I travel quite a bit, and I rarely take the soaps, but they were so nice here I asked the front desk if I could have some before I left. They not only gave me a couple, but a nice gift as well. The rooms were very nicely appointed, comfortable beds, very nice linens. And to top it off - great location. Close to wonderful restaurants, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, stadiums, and a little park. One last thing, the food was fabulous. Plus they have a Starbucks right at the hotel. If you're staying in downtown Cleveland stay HERE.

Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Upon arrival I was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. After a very efficient check-in I was escorted to the elevators and informed of all of the property amenities. The lobby was beautiful and more designed than a typical Westin. There were more colors and textures which is definitely appreciated as most Westin's come off as monochromatic and unexciting. I was upgraded to a large suite which also had more color and texture than most Westin hotels. I loved everything but the carpet. It was very loud and didn't really fit into the design scheme. The club lounge was two amazing floors and a nice retreat from the city. I was very impressed with Rolanda Heath and Bianca Carr, two staff members in the lounge. They were so attentive, fun to speak to and energetic about working at the Westin. It made spending time in the lounge a pleasure! I really enjoyed the restaurant/bar, the Urban Farmer, as well. The food and drinks were terrific at reasonable prices. I will definitely stay at this property when in Cleveland. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Suites are nice but half of the hotel overlooks the lake and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Choose...
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This newly remodeled Westin is modern, warm and welcoming. The bell staff absolutely did not let me ever open the main door in my comings and goings, which were many, they were really on the ball!

The lobby was very artistically designed from the mosaic tile in the lobby, to the light fixtures overhead, to the "head sculpture" that was painstakingly hand covered in local wood! The room was modern and well equipped.

We were able to walk everywhere from the property. Very convenient to the convention center, the Browns stadium, Rock-n-Roll hall of fame, etc. We even walked to the Gateway district on a very pleasant evening. There is a Starbucks inside the hotel, how great is that?

I had chance to use the gym as well. Very well equipped with treadmills, ellipticals, jacob's ladder, circuit training machines, jump ropes, and dumbbells - lots of TV's too!

Not to be missed is the restaurant adjacent to the hotel, Urban Farmer. Had one of the best meals of my life! Great spot for all three meals, and drinks in the bar. Really lively, fun atmosphere!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club lounge level. Awesome view and great food.
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This west in just opened and the staff couldn't be more helpful. The front desk manager went out of his way to make our stay special. All our needs were taken care off. The hotel was remodeled and is beautiful. It's in a great location, right next to the convention center. Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Join Starwood preferred for a high floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!